Wiki Posts
Search

AS credit on AA flights booked on US

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, National Exec
AS credit on AA flights booked on US

AA flights are now available to book on US Air's website, and the price for the AA operated DCA-BNA flights I'm looking at are $40 less R/T on US than the same flight purchased through AA. However, US Air's website does not allow AS Mileage Plan numbers at booking.

I'm thinking of booking on US to get the lower price, then add my AS Mileage Plan number at OLCI through AA's website. Any reason this wouldn't work? Does anyone know if US will be adding AS as a partner at booking via their website?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, National Exec
Answered my own question. Booked an AA-operated flight through US to get the best price. The confirmation page provided an AA confirmation number which I used to log in to AA.com and add my AS number and select seats.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
being able to add AS number to reservation doesn't necessarily mean miles will be credited.

To qualify for mileage accrual, please note that your flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below and your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.

American
Eligible Flight Numbers

0001 - 0399
0900 - 1699
2200 - 2649
2725 - 3799
4200 - 4369
5270 - 5369
6780 - 7150
7454 - 7637

To ensure flight credit, the two letter airline code (AA) must precede the flight number (for example, AA XXXX) on your ticket receipt or boarding pass.
Its operated by AA but not marketed if its a US flight number. If US receipt shows it as AAXXXX and XXXX = the flight number range above it will likley be fine.

Be even more careful if the AA segments booked into O as its a non-mileage earning fare regardless if it ends up meeting any of teh other eligibility criteria

Last edited by CDKing; Apr 1, 2014 at 2:15 pm Reason: Aditional information
Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
You most likely will not get AS miles for the flight.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
If you booked it with an AA flight number (not a US flight number) that is within the allowed range and not an "O" fare and added your AS number to the res as described, I would fight hard to get the credit if it doesn't post correctly on its own... I'm not saying you're guaranteed to get it, but I would fight for it since you meet the requirements per the terms of the program.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
If you booked it with an AA flight number (not a US flight number) that is within the allowed range and not an "O" fare and added your AS number to the res as described, I would fight hard to get the credit if it doesn't post correctly on its own... I'm not saying you're guaranteed to get it, but I would fight for it since you meet the requirements per the terms of the program.
This situation happens a lot (customer buys ticket on DL for AF/KL metal, for instance- they are buying the DL codeshare, the flight # on AF/KL is in allowable range- but the DL number is NOT), and quite often AS won't allow the credit. AS generally isn't kind to people who do codesharing tricks to save money- they generally want the airline that sold the ticket to match the metal you flew on. YMMV.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
This situation happens a lot (customer buys ticket on DL for AF/KL metal, for instance- they are buying the DL codeshare, the flight # on AF/KL is in allowable range- but the DL number is NOT), and quite often AS won't allow the credit. AS generally isn't kind to people who do codesharing tricks to save money- they generally want the airline that sold the ticket to match the metal you flew on. YMMV.
I think in the OP's case (the way I understood it) it's being marketed as an AA flight number (not a US codeshare) and flown on AA metal, just sold through the US website. This shouldn't be treated any differently by AS than an AA flight w/ AA number on AA metal sold by Expedia, Hotwire, or your local travel agent.

AA Metal + AA Flight Number (in acceptable range) + Creditable Fare Class = AS Credit... or should at least, and worth fighting if it doesn't go through automatically.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I think in the OP's case (the way I understood it) it's being marketed as an AA flight number (not a US codeshare) and flown on AA metal, just sold through the US website. This shouldn't be treated any differently by AS than an AA flight w/ AA number on AA metal sold by Expedia, Hotwire, or your local travel agent..
You don't understand it.

US sells US tickets (the ticket numbers start 037blahblahblah), AA sells AA tickets (numbers start 001blahblahblah)- at least until US goes away. That's where the problem's going to be, the marketing carrier on a flight sold through the US website is US, not AA. Remember, the rules say "marketed and operated by American Airlines". What that means is "the ticket stock must start 001 and it must be an AA ticket, it can't be a BA/US/CX/whoever ticket".

Orbitz does not sell tickets with their own ticket number prefix, neither does Expedia, etc. They do, often, however, sell DL tickets on AF/KL flights as codeshares for cheaper than the corresponding AF or KL ticket... which is where this exact problem shows up. Same problem- AS rules generally want the airline that sold the ticket to match the airline that flew the flight when it comes to partners.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
You don't understand it.

US sells US tickets (the ticket numbers start 037blahblahblah), AA sells AA tickets (numbers start 001blahblahblah)- at least until US goes away. That's where the problem's going to be, the marketing carrier on a flight sold through the US website is US, not AA. Remember, the rules say "marketed and operated by American Airlines". What that means is "the ticket stock must start 001 and it must be an AA ticket, it can't be a BA/US/CX/whoever ticket".

Orbitz does not sell tickets with their own ticket number prefix, neither does Expedia, etc. They do, often, however, sell DL tickets on AF/KL flights as codeshares for cheaper than the corresponding AF or KL ticket... which is where this exact problem shows up. Same problem- AS rules generally want the airline that sold the ticket to match the airline that flew the flight when it comes to partners.
I just looked at the US website as I was curious, and they do sell AA operated and marketed flights. I don't think the ticket stock has anything to do with the marketing carrier.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
I just looked at the US website as I was curious, and they do sell AA operated and marketed flights. I don't think the ticket stock has anything to do with the marketing carrier.
Is the ticket 001? If it's not, I predict trouble. Happy to be proven wrong.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:38 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
The US website is much like the AS website in that codeshares are displayed by the operating carrier's logo and flight numbers.

What's somewhat confusing is that AA flight numbers are the same as the corresponding US codeshare flight numbers. For example, AA 312 SEA-DFW is also US 312 operated by AA.

The marketing carrier for a flight isn't always the same as the ticketing carrier. This is why the AS mileage earning rules for EK specify that the flights must be marketed and ticketed by EK.

I've flown on AA tickets which included AA-marketed, AS-operated flights and AS-operated, AS-marketed flights. Both AS and AA can ticket other airlines' fares. For example, one can call AS and book UA flights provided there is an AS-marketed flight on the ticket.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
The US website is much like the AS website in that codeshares are displayed by the operating carrier's logo and flight numbers.
This is what id be worried about. On AS site it shows it as AAXXX during the search but when you start to go through the purchase process it changes it to ASXXXX operated by AA. I'd be worried US does the same thing. I may just have to book a random flight and use 24 cancel to see how it tickets.

*Edit* Well i booked a ticcket and it does not specify if its US or AA flight number. I just says FLIGHT # 1014 Operated by American Airlines flight # 1014. I bet this is most likley US1014 which would make it not eligible for miles

Other things I learned.

you cannot tell on US site what booking class the AA flights books into. In my example U on US booked into O on AA which does not earn miles.

US screws up the secure flight data collection. It merged first and middle in the first name box when i check my AA secure flight data.
PS. Of course I have to call to request a refund. I was hoping it would be an easy hit cancel, of well the things we do to get information

Last edited by CDKing; Apr 4, 2014 at 8:09 am
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by CDKing
This is what id be worried about. On AS site it shows it as AAXXX during the search but when you start to go through the purchase process it changes it to ASXXXX operated by AA. I'd be worried US does the same thing. I may just have to book a random flight and use 24 cancel to see how it tickets.

*Edit* Well i booked a ticcket and it does not specify if its US or AA flight number. I just says FLIGHT # 1014 Operated by American Airlines flight # 1014. I bet this is most likley US1014 which would make it not eligible for miles

Other things I learned.

you cannot tell on US site what booking class the AA flights books into. In my example U on US booked into O on AA which does not earn miles.

US screws up the secure flight data collection. It merged first and middle in the first name box when i check my AA secure flight data.
PS. Of course I have to call to request a refund. I was hoping it would be an easy hit cancel, of well the things we do to get information
Thanks for doing that. I suppose it makes sense that if fares are cheaper on the US site for AA operated flights that they would be US marketed, even if that's no it very clear.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing

Other things I learned.

And the ticket number is 037XXXXX, right?

Rule of thumb on AS is ticketing carrier matches operating carrier, you're good. If not, here there be dragons (the exception being OAL ticket, AS metal, AS will credit AS MP for that). You can sometimes get around this by sending in the boarding pass showing the MP # and the operating carrier flight number , but this is where things start to fall apart and you can get hosed.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And the ticket number is 037XXXXX, right?

Rule of thumb on AS is ticketing carrier matches operating carrier, you're good. If not, here there be dragons (the exception being OAL ticket, AS metal, AS will credit AS MP for that). You can sometimes get around this by sending in the boarding pass showing the MP # and the operating carrier flight number , but this is where things start to fall apart and you can get hosed.
Yes US ticket stock 037XXXXXXXXX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.