Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On AS flights - MVP vs AA Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:58 am
Original Poster

On AS flights - MVP vs AA Platinum

I'm a little bit confused about the different elite benefits. I'm MVP on Alaska and Platinum on AA. If I'm flying an AS flight, is there any benefit to using my higher AA status instead of my AS status (assuming I'm ok accruing miles in either program)? Does the equation change if I'm flying on an AS award ticket and/or with a companion?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:10 am
Original Poster

I feel like an idiot. I just saw that there's a very similar thread already here from yesterday. However, if I'm understanding that OP's question, I think this is a little different. I know I'm flying on AS for a few different flights, I just don't know which FF program to use...
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:46 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
assuming you dont care about getting the 100% mileage bonus using your AA platinum status you are better off using MP as an MVP on AS. Whatever small chance there is to be upgraded as an MVP, your chances as an AA platinum would be 0. AFAIK using AA elite status on AS gets you preferred seating and priority boarding and maybe a free bag. No upgrade benefits and I was going to say no change waivers but nevermind AS still gouges MVPs at full change rates even though they should make it $50 or $75 for them
Old Mar 23, 2014, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

My companion can't get upgraded if I'm just base MVP, though, right? Not sure that would go over well with the spouse ;-)
Old Mar 23, 2014, 1:45 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by Cardboard55
My companion can't get upgraded if I'm just base MVP, though, right? Not sure that would go over well with the spouse ;-)
no but if you are both on the same PNR you wont be upgraded even if upgrade space is open. 2 MVPs on 1 PNR cant even be upgraded if upgrade space is open unless supposedly you call in. So if all your AS flights are with a companion on the same PNR I guess it only comes down to where you want to bank your miles. I dont fly enough to get elite status on 2 airlines anymore like I used to with AS and NW so I just bank everything into AS and the very rare times I use non AS partners I dont even bother entering a FF program number because I know it might take me about 10 years to get enough miles for an award on say...UA and thats assuming they wouldnt expire. I guess UA is a bad example. I have an active account there in the case my flying ever picks back up to support 2 programs. I guess F9 wouldve been a better example

Last edited by ANC; Mar 23, 2014 at 1:54 pm
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ANC
no but if you are both on the same PNR you wont be upgraded even if upgrade space is open. 2 MVPs on 1 PNR cant even be upgraded if upgrade space is open unless supposedly you call in. So if all your AS flights are with a companion on the same PNR I guess it only comes down to where you want to bank your miles. I dont fly enough to get elite status on 2 airlines anymore like I used to with AS and NW so I just bank everything into AS and the very rare times I use non AS partners I dont even bother entering a FF program number because I know it might take me about 10 years to get enough miles for an award on say...UA and thats assuming they wouldnt expire. I guess UA is a bad example. I have an active account there in the case my flying ever picks back up to support 2 programs. I guess F9 wouldve been a better example
OK, so now I'm confused again, you're saying that you DO have to call in to get 2 MVPs on the same PNR on the upgrade list, but in the upgrade bug thread, missydarlin says it's automatically processed....hmmm, which is it then?

Originally Posted by missydarlin

Update:
My original answer was not accurate.

You do not need to call in to upgrade two MVPs on a companion certificate.

The autoprocessor will put you on the list.

However, you cannot specifically shop for MVP (Immediately) Upgradeable Fares when there is more than one person in the reservation.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:37 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
OK, so now I'm confused again, you're saying that you DO have to call in to get 2 MVPs on the same PNR on the upgrade list, but in the upgrade bug thread, missydarlin says it's automatically processed....hmmm, which is it then?
ok that must be new or newer. Good to know though. But I guess it still is stupid if both are waitlisted but you cant upgrade right away if you book a full Y S B fare and U is open for 2 and have to call in. That makes no logical sense
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
AA Platinum status should get you priority security, but MVP status doesn't get you priority security. However, even if your AS (not AA) number is in the reservation, you can probably access the elite security line by flashing your AA Platinum card (if you have it with you). If you get pre-check (and are departing from a pre-check airport), this is irrelevant.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Well, I should get Pre Check (via Global Entry), but my wife doesn't, so it doesn't help me all that much (waiting for her on the far side of security isn't better than waiting with her in the security line)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.