Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Interesting info:

"[SEA] is just too small to operate an [EK] A380 with regularity. The large wingspan would require closing down an adjacent runway and some taxiways for safety reasons. It would also take up two gates. To be clear, the A380 can land at Sea-Tac if it needs to, but it would be a major inconvenience."
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dayone
Interesting info:

"[SEA] is just too small to operate an [EK] A380 with regularity. The large wingspan would require closing down an adjacent runway and some taxiways for safety reasons. It would also take up two gates. To be clear, the A380 can land at Sea-Tac if it needs to, but it would be a major inconvenience."
That article is from 2011. I don't think the gate issue has changed and I don't think there's anything major different on taxiways in recent years, but I wanted to point that out.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPGold 75K
Wondering about ability to get into lounge at DXB. Traveling through DXB in a few weeks on a first class award ticket. Haven't read much lately about issues in accessing lounge.

If there is a problem or EK agent questions my ticket to access lounge, do I just show them my alaska confirmation (award ticket) or do I need a printed copy or will just my saying "i booked an award ticket on alaska good enough? I don't want to put my foot in the mouth from the get-go and create problems. We have a 10 hour layer in DXB and lounge access would be appreciated.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by smiem
Wondering about ability to get into lounge at DXB. Traveling through DXB in a few weeks on a first class award ticket. Haven't read much lately about issues in accessing lounge.

If there is a problem or EK agent questions my ticket to access lounge, do I just show them my alaska confirmation (award ticket) or do I need a printed copy or will just my saying "i booked an award ticket on alaska good enough? I don't want to put my foot in the mouth from the get-go and create problems. We have a 10 hour layer in DXB and lounge access would be appreciated.
You won't have an issue. EK reps in the DXB F lounge have seen enough AS awards to admit without problem.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by thexfactor
You won't have an issue. EK reps in the DXB F lounge have seen enough AS awards to admit without problem.
Only issue is if your onward flight is in Y or J. Presumably you continue on in F?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:46 am

What others have said. With 10 hours you should definitely go to Dubai and have a meal, drink, or just walk around. I was there in November and was able to get the Emirates chauffeur into Dubai.

Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:51 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by onfo
I was there in November and was able to get the Emirates chauffeur into Dubai.
On AS award ticket?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by jms_uk
On AS award ticket?
Yes. Never hurts to ask. YMMV obviously.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:52 am

Yes. Never hurts to ask. YMMV obviously.
Well, I'm interested. I'm sure you booked the chauffeur on their website. You just walked up to their booth and requested a ride and that was that?

Did you also get the ride from home to your domestic airport?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Well, I'm interested. I'm sure you booked the chauffeur on their website. You just walked up to their booth and requested a ride and that was that?

Did you also get the ride from home to your domestic airport?
No, I only got a ride from DXB to central Dubai. I did not book in advance, but instead, after stowing my bag at DXB I went to the FC chauffeur desk and presented my boarding pass and told the person at the desk where I wanted to go. He typed for a bit and then printed out the voucher. Obviously no guarantees, and worst case you just hop in a cab, but it's worth a shot.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador

No issue I am here in DXB now waiting for connecting flight. Lounge US and here no problem.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: AS MVPGold 75K
No, I only got a ride from DXB to central Dubai. I did not book in advance, but instead, after stowing my bag at DXB I went to the FC chauffeur desk and presented my boarding pass and told the person at the desk where I wanted to go. He typed for a bit and then printed out the voucher. Obviously no guarantees, and worst case you just hop in a cab, but it's worth a shot.
Where is the FC chauffeur desk, inside of security? I presume if it didn't work I could always go back through security. We have a 13 hour layover. Flight lands at 7:20 pm and departs at 8:30 am. I am not even sure where we would go in Dubai...perhaps this will mean less sleep in the next week to come up with a plan! Already checking EF regularly for release of award seats - who needs sleep anyway. If I did go outside of security is there a restriction on what time I could re-enter given my long layover and landing in the evening and departing next day?

I am in F the entire trip JNB-DXB-LAX. Daughter in J JNB-DXB and F DXB-LAX so F lounge access in DXB shouldn't be an issue as continuing leg for both is in F.

Also, where did you stow your bag?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond
Smiem - I am on the exact same type of situation, arriving from SFO at 7:25 pm and leaving for Bali the next morning at 8:50 am. We opted to get a hotel in downtown Dubai for the night since that is too long of a layover for us being in our 60s. (Raddison using the free night). I will give the chauffeur desk a try - why not. We have spent 3 days in Dubai previously and I would at least go the mall or something else if you are not getting a hotel.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
If you can't get the chauffeur, the metro is pretty convenient and inexpensive--and it could end up even getting you to your destination faster, given some of the traffic I got stuck in when I was in Dubai a couple of months ago.

To anyone arriving early enough in the day, I highly suggest going to the water taxi station at the Old Souk in Bur Dubai and getting a one-hour ride up the creek and back on an abra. It was a little over $30 and entirely worth it at sunset.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by jinglish
If you can't get the chauffeur, the metro is pretty convenient and inexpensive--and it could end up even getting you to your destination faster, given some of the traffic I got stuck in when I was in Dubai a couple of months ago.
I used the Metro on a long layover between EK flights that I booked via AS. I would definitely use it again but since my trip back to DXB coincided with rush hour, the ride was absolutely jam packed and terrible. In hindsight, I should've paid for a Gold Class ticket so that I didn't spend most of the ride stuck between a window and a person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.