Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Rookie question, can you book one way tickets on AA with AS miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:09 am
Original Poster

I want to book AA from SFO to PVG via ORG so I can visit the city. My question is can I book only one way with the miles or do they have to be round trip?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:24 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Currently, AS permits one way bookings on partner carriers, but charges the same amount of miles as a round trip. There is talk of one way partner awards in the future, but no timeline has been released.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ducktape
I want to book AA from SFO to PVG via ORG so I can visit the city. My question is can I book only one way with the miles or do they have to be round trip?
Not certain AS' routing rules - I know AA miles would let you to go OW, but AS requires roundtrip redemption, or roundtrip miles for a OW flight when redeeming on partners.

Oh and I assume you are looking for ORD.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:56 am

Programs: AS MVP
I tried doing this to ORD last week and was only able to select certain AA flights, not the one I was looking for. Was looking for the SEA-ORD flight that leaves at 2:15 or so, but could only select an AA ORD-SEA with the outbound being AS which left too early.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 9:43 am

There's been a number of hints that this is coming (for the last 3 years). Last update I saw was 'early 2013'. I do note that you can book AS oneway using AA miles, just not the other way around.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZBB
There's been a number of hints that this is coming (for the last 3 years). Last update I saw was 'early 2013'. I do note that you can book AS oneway using AA miles, just not the other way around.
Of course. It is AAdvantage program, not ASMP program.

AA has gone one-way system since May 2009. There is no such thing called r/t award with AAdvantage program. Though you can "construct" a R/T by booking 2 one-way awards under a single PNR which can hold up to 4 one-way awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.