Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVPG 75k on Delta now can't select good seats in coach

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond

With Delta's new economy comfort coach seating, as an MVPG 75k, I am no longer able to book the bulkhead row for any red-eye flights to the east coast. I just got off the phone with Delta customer service and they acknowledge that I a a Gold medallion level flyer but don't get the "free" upgrade to sit in the bulkhead like I use to be able to without paying a fee.

Does AA allow MVPG members to book the bulkhead on flights east out of the Bay Area? I may have to move away from Delta and onto AA now with this wonderful change.

Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Yes, a change you will like.

Oops, wrong airline.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Yes, a change you will like.

Oops, wrong airline.
Thanks for the tip. I guess AA is now my airline of choice when I can't fly AS metal.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AS Board Room, Marriott Rwds Platinum, Nat'l Exec Elite
Just noticed this today myself... I'd avoid DL altogether if I could but they're my only option for SEA-SLC.

Continued disappointment with the DL-AS relationship; seems like every time AS makes a concession for DL GM/PM/DM elites, AS MVPG/75K elites lose something new on DL. The marketing of the relationship and reality don't match up.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CSflyinguy
Continued disappointment with the DL-AS relationship; seems like every time AS makes a concession for DL GM/PM/DM elites, AS MVPG/75K elites lose something new on DL.
Can you identify any asymmetries between AS elite benefits when flying DL and DL elites flying AS? AS doesn't offer Economy Comfort (or E+, or Main Cabin Extra) seats, while Delta has EC seats on about 950 aircraft.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:21 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Can you identify any asymmetries between AS elite benefits when flying DL and DL elites flying AS? AS doesn't offer Economy Comfort (or E+, or Main Cabin Extra) seats, while Delta has EC seats on about 950 aircraft.
DL elites can upgrade as far as 24 hours in advance via OLCI, while we have to sweat it out at the gate, where a DL elite can easily SDC at the last minute and take my "could have been" upgraded seat. Oh, not to mention AS rolled out complimentary upgrades for DL elites wayyyy before DL did.

DL does not give me bulkhead seats anymore. They are either EC or blocked. So, I will NEVER have any additional legroom when flying on DL.

DL also reduced MVPs' ability to check two bags for free to one, when they reduced FOs' ability to check two bags for free to one. AS had to reciprocate and do the same for DL FOs flying on AS.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:47 pm

Wow, that's really a downer. I have been flying DL quite a bit for work whenever I'm taking transcons, as there are a ton more options into JFK (or BWI) when I need to get out there, at sometimes 1/2 to 1/4 of what the AS flights have been. Not looking forward to not having any extra legroom. A pretty weak change, IMO.

Guess earning 75K the hard way isn't going to be all its cracked up to be w/ DL benefits. Maybe AA will start offering something other than early boarding and decent seat options. /sarcasm
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
AS may not have Economy Comfort, but they certainly do have plenty of standard seats in the back of the plane. If that's what AS Elite get flying Delta, then that's certainly what Delta Elite should get when flying AS.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by johnp012001
AS may not have Economy Comfort, but they certainly do have plenty of standard seats in the back of the plane. If that's what AS Elite get flying Delta, then that's certainly what Delta Elite should get when flying AS.
AS elites can still get exit rows, plus the other standard "elite" seats for free.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
AS elites can still get exit rows, plus the other standard "elite" seats for free.
We should only allow DL elites to get rows 10 or higher plus the exit rows. Save rows 7-9 for AS elites and full Y fare passengers.

Exit rows does not mean anything in my case, unfortunately. So, this is a real shot in the foot for me.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by golfingboy
We should only allow DL elites to get rows 10 or higher plus the exit rows. Save rows 7-9 for AS elites and full Y fare passengers.

Exit rows does not mean anything in my case, unfortunately. So, this is a real shot in the foot for me.
Uh, row 6?

And since exit row is EC on DL, I think locking them out of there would be fine too. Play nice or lose out.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Uh, row 6?

And since exit row is EC on DL, I think locking them out of there would be fine too. Play nice or lose out.
My bad, I fly too much on UA

I can't sit in the exit row due to my deafness

That is why this is a real shot in the foot for me... Yes, I know my situation is unique and is not a good representation of the bigger picture. But, if I want to murk things up, is it fair for me to be subject to less legroom or pay for more legroom because of my disability?

So, I agree with your last comment

Last edited by golfingboy; Jul 18, 2012 at 5:38 pm
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I can't sit in the exit row due to my deafness
Maybe we will be lucky and get access to AA's Extra legroom seats when they roll them out
Old Jul 19, 2012, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Maybe we will be lucky and get access to AA's Extra legroom seats when they roll them out
Hopefully... They need to have at least 30 or so extra legroom seats like UA does to be able to accommodate all of their elites and partner elites most of the time.

DL definitely missed the boat here with EC and I'd bet Diamonds/Platinums are finding themselves in regular Y often.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tusphotog
I agree but when you fly the red-eye from SFO to ATL or JFK on a weekly basis, having a bulkhead seat is nice. I'm not a small person so having the extra room is good for me an my fellow passengers.

My business now goes to AA. I flew over 90k miles last year on DL metal. I've done over 50k already this year on DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.