Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Board Room Renewal vs Priority Pass

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by RobinPDX
I have been thinking of doing the same. Does the ticket have to be paid for with the Amex card to get the access? Also hgdf mentioned a second card holder. So if my wife and I have two cards on same account do we both get access without paying ?
It doesn't matter how the ticket is purchased.

The Amex Plat actually includes two separate lounge access programs. You flash the actual credit card to gain access to AA/DL/US lounges, including two free guests. For AA/DL you need a same day ticket on that carrier.

Additionally, each card holder is eligible for Priority Pass Select, which gives you access to a bunch of other lounges including the BR. All you have to do is call Amex and ask them to enroll you and your additional cardholders. Keep in mind that PP will charge you extra for bringing guests (which the lounge dragon will probably neglect to mention) so it's important to make sure you and your wife check in to the lounge separately with your own PP cards.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Platinum, AMEX/Platinum
I took the plunge. They have enough other valuable perks and flexible membership rewards program to make it very worthwhile.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:35 pm

What's the annual fee for the Amex Platinum card?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by greybeardy
What's the annual fee for the Amex Platinum card?
$450.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:56 am

Priority pass is my choice. Very convenient for my business travels.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
My problem with PP is that it just isn't financially feasible for a family of 4. However I found that AS BR's don't provide sufficient coverage in the locations I require. And UA's RCC is too expensive also lacks coverage. Lounge access through elite status is a plus when flying on economy tix, but doesn't work in the USA.

I am still waiting for a better solution for family trips.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
My problem with PP is that it just isn't financially feasible for a family of 4. However I found that AS BR's don't provide sufficient coverage in the locations I require. And UA's RCC is too expensive also lacks coverage. Lounge access through elite status is a plus when flying on economy tix, but doesn't work in the USA.

I am still waiting for a better solution for family trips.
For $625 per year ($450 for Basic card, $175 for up to three additional ones), you could get an AMEX Platinum Card for all of your family members. Each of you would receive PP and Admirals Club, Sky Club, and US Airways Club access. Since each of you would have a PP card, there would be no need to pay PP guest fees. You all would also have access to a host of other Platinum Card benefits.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good idea, except I think it unlikely that Amex will issue cards to a 6-year old and a 3-year old.

Really what PP needs is a family plan, like Clear or AS.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:08 pm

Good idea, except I think it unlikely that Amex will issue cards to a 6-year old and a 3-year old.
Since the basic account holder is fully responsible for the charges incurred on the additional cards, AMEX may be willing to issue the cards to your children. I have seen posts discussing cards being issued to minors, but not necessarily minors as young as your kids.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 14940674
Since the basic account holder is fully responsible for the charges incurred on the additional cards, AMEX may be willing to issue the cards to your children. I have seen posts discussing cards being issued to minors, but not necessarily minors as young as your kids.
Yes I know some banks will permit you to designate teenagers as additional cardholders. I suppose I could always try it with my toddler, but unfortunately I don't do Amex.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by 14940674
When I calling to sign up additional card members, the AMEX rep informed me that should I default on the account, they can and will pursue the additional card holders for charges made on their cards. For this reason, they might be reluctant to issue an AMEX Plat with a high limit to a minor.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:28 pm

Really what PP needs is a family plan, like Clear or AS.
Originally Posted by hgdf
When I calling to sign up additional card members, the AMEX rep informed me that should I default on the account, they can and will pursue the additional card holders for charges made on their cards. For this reason, they might be reluctant to issue an AMEX Plat with a high limit to a minor.
For my Plat account, the additional users page says "All Additional Cardmembers must be 15 years of age or older and must never have had a defaulted account with American Express." It does ask for a DOB now, which is relatively recent--I have additional users on my Blue and never gave DOBs. I'm pretty sure they still don't pull credit reports on AUs.

The days when you could add your newborn and have your Amex account reported to the credit bureaus under his name as well are over, sadly. It makes for some amusing credit reports, though--I know a couple people now in their late 20s whose Amex "member since" dates are 1985 thanks to their parents having gotten additional cards for little kids. Their credit reports do show all Amex accounts as dating back to 1985. Great for average age of accounts!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.