Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Originally Posted by HikerT
These certs have been made even more useless. Prohibited item now in CC forum.
I'm sorry - can someone translate this?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
Originally Posted by SquarePeg
I'm sorry - can someone translate this?
CC is coupon connection where you can trade stuff.. you will see it after reaching 200 posts. another reason to come back to FT more often?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by travelsg
CC is coupon connection where you can trade stuff.. you will see it after reaching 200 posts. another reason to come back to FT more often?
But why are they a prohibited item now? They still have some value - BOGO. If one has an extra they don't need, isn't it useful to someone else? It's not against the TOU to give them to someone (i.e. the owner has to book/pay but if they are willing to do that....) Why prohibited?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Originally Posted by travelsg
ah thanks! read cc as credit card and was confused (which is not unusual for me).
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by Finkface
But why are they a prohibited item now? They still have some value - BOGO. If one has an extra they don't need, isn't it useful to someone else? It's not against the TOU to give them to someone (i.e. the owner has to book/pay but if they are willing to do that....) Why prohibited?
I was wondering the same thing. The response I got from the CC moderator is that it is against the rules to exchange money for anything (with taxes/fees on an award booking being a notable exception). Since only the cert owner can book/pay, money would need to change hands, and therefore the AS companion fare is prohibited.

Seems like a bit of a stretch to me, but I didn't want to run into trouble with the CC folks so I decided not to list mine.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:21 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Is there any news on bringing this back for elite members? Comments in this post indicate this may be the case but I haven't seen anything of late. I use my last BA F upgrade in March and will miss it.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Is there any news on bringing this back for elite members? Comments in this post indicate this may be the case but I haven't seen anything of late. I use my last BA F upgrade in March and will miss it.
Think it will be still under evaluation. There are many other certs still valid for F class- and some don't need to be used until July. Those who received the certs in July have until June of 2014 to use...so there's a fair bit of time until all certs are gone and AS has a full understanding of what the change has done to F yields and purchases.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Think it will be still under evaluation. There are many other certs still valid for F class- and some don't need to be used until July. Those who received the certs in July have until June of 2014 to use...so there's a fair bit of time until all certs are gone and AS has a full understanding of what the change has done to F yields and purchases.

Boy, you are an optimist!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:01 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by beckoa
Used my last F companion cert today!!! ANC - HNL...

Oh well, I should still be able to finagle my way into being a companion for others' F companion certs
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:43 pm

I just used my last cert and canceled the card. When the CS rep asked my why I was canceling I explained some of the ways the card had been devalued in the last couple of years. She said she's heard that before and that she understands. I hope some of the complaints end up reaching the folks that can reverse these changes.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st

Called to downgrade to the $50 Platinum card (with annual $50 AS cert.) The BoA rep added an account credit to reflect the difference in annual fee -- but then I received a Signature card in the mail. When I checked my Mileage Plan account I found that a new companion coupon had been added.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:07 am

I am new to this forum and FF programs. I am wondering why this a $110 ticket on coach (even with the annual fee) is considered a bad deal? I mean, last I looked up a flight from NYC (where I am) to Hawaii for the summer was over $1000. Isn't that a saving of $900 on the second second ticket for the first year of getting the card?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by nartman
I am new to this forum and FF programs. I am wondering why this a $110 ticket on coach (even with the annual fee) is considered a bad deal? I mean, last I looked up a flight from NYC (where I am) to Hawaii for the summer was over $1000. Isn't that a saving of $900 on the second second ticket for the first year of getting the card?
There's definitely still value with this. For some there's not quite as much value as before.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by nartman
I am new to this forum
Welcome to Flyertalk and the Alaska Airlines board, nartman!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:10 pm

Welcome nartman:

Speaking only for myself, the $75 annual fee and the $110 makes it a bit harder to get value from the card. Sure, you can still save money on an Alaska flight, but Alaska is rarely the cheapest option where I fly: if I can 2 people to Chicago for $300 apiece on UA then the $215 I save when I use a companion cert doesn't really look like a bargain, does it?

In sum, the card had a lot more value to me when the annual fee was lower, and the amount you paid for a companion was lower, and you got 1000 bonus miles for booking with the card, and you could book in first class. I could not use the companion cert one year and still get my money's worth by saving money the next year. I'm guessing that this card still pencils out if you're flying from Alaska or flying from the East Coast/Midwest to Hawaii, but it doesn't work for me anymore, and if BofA's reps are to be believed it's not working for a lot of others as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.