Wiki Posts
Search

Fast Security Line

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Fast Security Line

Why is it (at least in Portland) that it takes MVP Gold qualification to be able to use the line, but with Southwest you can get the A-List card with half as many flights (25) and get a Fly By card and have the same access?

Shouldnt MVP only status allow access to this lane? I haven't checked other airlines,mans I happen to be a gold but noticed this in an email WN sent me and it doesent seem fair.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Every airline decides on its own elite benefits. If you open up the fast lane to more folks, it will no longer be a fast lane. I think that it is fair, but then I'm a MVPG.

There are many times when there is no advantage to using a special lane. I find the special security access to be one of my least valuable benefits. Some airports I fly to don't even have a special lane.

Last edited by Jeeves; Apr 12, 2012 at 8:28 am
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
That's a separate business decision by each airline, but I also think you're comparing apples and oranges.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k / AS Boardroom
The number of MVP's in SEA and PDX would basically mean almost every one would qualify for the fast security. Ever watch a pre-board when they call golds? Some flights are downright crazy.

Also AS <> Southwest - thankfully. Southwest is mostly family and casual travelers that typically don't fly nearly as often. Thus the benefit is extended to their few customers that do fly once in a while - albeit at a lower volume than AS.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG
FWIW, as an MVP (not gold) in PDX, I've never been turned away from the express line at security.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k / AS Boardroom
Originally Posted by czpdx
FWIW, as an MVP (not gold) in PDX, I've never been turned away from the express line at security.
And you won't get turned away at the pre-board either. Also if security express line is important, I'd suggest enrolling in Global Entry. Then you don't have to worry about status - just prior felonies on your record.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:32 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Jeeves
If you open up the fast lane to more folks, it will no longer be a fast lane. .
ala exhibit A...IE Anchorage

The Gold, mvp, First, AA Elite, DL elite, Pilot, FA, GA, CSA, HMS Host, airport employee, Folks with strollers/toddlers...(did I miss anybody?) line.... is often more of a mess than the regular line
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by ANC
ala exhibit A...IE Anchorage

The Gold, mvp, First, AA Elite, DL elite, Pilot, FA, GA, CSA, HMS Host, airport employee, Folks with strollers/toddlers...(did I miss anybody?) line.... is often more of a mess than the regular line
Wheelchairs. I think you missed wheelchairs.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by tatterdema
OK folks, I get the point :-). All of you make good points and made me realize "what the heck was I asking for" :-)

I will say, I am a Gold and have been for many years and I find the knowledge that at PDX at least always knowing I can blow through security in 2-10 minutes is a major source of comfort when it comes to planning on what time to leave for the airport.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:53 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by tatterdema
I've never understood why being in a wheelchair allows someone to not only skip the big line, but then once they are past the ID checker, they go to the front of the WTMD/bag x-ray line.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 3:10 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I've never understood why being in a wheelchair allows someone to not only skip the big line, but then once they are past the ID checker, they go to the front of the WTMD/bag x-ray line.
Boggles the mind myself.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Main reason I think they usually get to skip the line is that a lot of the lines are not designed to have a wheelchair go through the switchbacks, so rather than make the lines wider, its' easier to just let them skip the line.

Also, when they get to the processing point, the generally need special processing, so I think they figure if they're pulling employees out to get them finished, get it done ASAP.

On security lines, Delta doesn't allow their MVP equivalent (Silver) use the elite security line, but AA (their Gold) does.

If the line has TSA PreCheck, and you are eligible, then it doesn't matter, and often you end up in an even better line than non-PreCheck elites.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tbau
And you won't get turned away at the pre-board either. Also if security express line is important, I'd suggest enrolling in Global Entry. Then you don't have to worry about status - just prior felonies on your record.
How does Global Entry help you with express security lines? SeaTac doesn't have a little logo/note for Global Entry passengers on it's line.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mikelat
How does Global Entry help you with express security lines? SeaTac doesn't have a little logo/note for Global Entry passengers on it's line.
This is what I was about to ask: GE is one way to get PreCheck privileges when you are flying a carrier from an airport that has this system, although even then it is no guarantee and is distinct from the elite security lines.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is what I was about to ask: GE is one way to get PreCheck privileges when you are flying a carrier from an airport that has this system, although even then it is no guarantee and is distinct from the elite security lines.
Exactly. PreCheck is a true elite line in the sense that kettles can't finagle their way into it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.