Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

75k Showing Up as Executive Platinum on AA Boarding Pass

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

I booked flights through AA but of course used my AS number (75k) and to my great surprise when I checked-in and printed boarding passes on aa.com it listed EXP (Exec Plat) under my AS number!!

I am not sure about the AA standby policy but when I got to the gate at DFW to try to get on an earlier flight they took my BP, went into the system, and then remarked, "Why is it saying no standby allowed? You are executive platinum." They proceeded to over-ride the system and put me on the earlier flight with no fee.

I do think they are granted AA benefits (minus upgrades of course) based on AS tier. Further evidence of this is that since I flew my 89th/90th segment on 12/29 and as of early this year my AS status shows as having dropped to Gold it appeared to update in the current AA reservation and on the return trip when I printed my AA BP at aa.com it then showed me as a Platinum.

Very interesting. I REALLY hope that 75k's continue to be recognized as EXP.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DuckFlyer
Very interesting. I REALLY hope that 75k's continue to be recognized as EXP.
I REALLY HOPE NOT. The benefits for AS flyers on AA are well defined. Them incorrectly giving more risks a true EXP not getting the benefits they are actually entitled to. Did you correct them and tell them you were not EXP?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mikelat
I REALLY HOPE NOT. The benefits for AS flyers on AA are well defined. Them incorrectly giving more risks a true EXP not getting the benefits they are actually entitled to. Did you correct them and tell them you were not EXP?
When it is a "it doesn't hurt anyone" benefit being given, then it is probably smart business for AA (i.e., a waived change fee, pre-boarding, etc.) - as we don't get upgrade benefits, I don't know how it takes anything away from an AA EXP.

If it were me, I know I'm not an AA EXP, but then, I have no other status with AA, so how would I know how AA is recognizing the various AS tiers in its system. It isn't as if we are alliance members showing the various parallel status. AA is more than welcome to program us to our AS actual status (as I think DL does).

AS 75K - two choices - DL, with a standby fee and AA without, all other things being equal, smart business by AA, and it doesn't hurt an EXP.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K
I fail to see how waiving a standby fee for a AS 75K risks a true EXP of not getting benefits they are entitled too - do you mean that maybe they got a standby seat that a EXP could have gotten? Seems fairly unlikely - but okay. Otherwise, I don't see the arguement here, and to be honest - if I was in the same boat I would not have told them I was not an EXP.

I will be even MORE honest - yesterday while checking in at Manila for a Delta flight (anyone familiar with that airport knows how crazy long the lines), I used the Sky Priority line and there were two lines - one for DL Silver Elites and one for DL Gold plus elites. The entry lady asked if I was a DL Silver and I said no and pointed to my boarding pass that said, "Sky Priority Alaska MVP Gold" - all she must have saw was the Gold as she waved me into the DL Gold + elite line (which was much shorter) -and nope - I did not correct her. Flame me now as I am sure I cause a true DL Gold to wait a bit longer. On the other hand, perhaps we are even because I am sure one has grabbed a upgrade through the 24 hour OLCI bug that I lost...
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This isn't an issue about whether or not I should have corrected them about being EXP it is an issue of what they are choosing to code and recognize AS elites as. it appears they choose to recognize based on status tier with AS.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:39 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
. Did you correct them and tell them you were not EXP?
would you tell AS if you are flying AS and up there on the screen you are on the upgrade list because the AS system recognizes you as a MVP75K and to remove you from it ? Besides that I think thats how AA is having it show up on the paperwork but AFAIK it has no bearing on upgrads because with the AS MP number you dont get on that list

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.