Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Baggage concerns interlining between USAir and Alaska

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage concerns interlining between USAir and Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2011, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Red face Baggage concerns interlining between USAir and Alaska

Well, not really. But I'd like to know the procedure and such regarding a flight I'm getting on in a couple of weeks.

I am flying on US Airways, and connecting in the LAX airport onto a different flight managed by Alaska Airlines. I'm going to Vancouver B.C. I have one bag I am checking underneath.

Now, when I get off the plane when I get to LAX, will they transfer my checked bag for me automatically? Or do I have to pick it up in the baggage claim and then re-check it for the Alaska Airlines flight?

I really hope its not the case, I have a three hour layover, which is good given the airport if huge, but for international travel, according to the Alaska Airlines site, you have to have the bag checked three hours prior to flight for international travel. ._.;

Any clarification would be appreciated.

If this is in the wrong section, please inform me, I'm a newbie, lol *waves*
Old Oct 1, 2011, 5:48 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
US does interline to AS but not to QX (which is AS regional air sub), so as long as you are ticketed on AS and not QX then your baggage will be automagically transferred at LAX for you. In general all IATA airlines will interline on a single ticket with each other, but not to non-IATA airlines (Southwest is the biggest example of an airline that does not interline routinely).
Old Oct 1, 2011, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by number_6
US does interline to AS but not to QX (which is AS regional air sub), so as long as you are ticketed on AS and not QX then your baggage will be automagically transferred at LAX for you. In general all IATA airlines will interline on a single ticket with each other, but not to non-IATA airlines (Southwest is the biggest example of an airline that does not interline routinely).
Yeah, I'm definitely ticketed on AS so that is a great relief to know! Thank you so much.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 6:33 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, nadakyo. Thanks for clarifying that you are ticketed on Alaska Air. Therefore, I am going to move this thread over to the Alaska Forum for discussion.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 1, 2011, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by number_6
US does interline to AS but not to QX (which is AS regional air sub)
Is this still true with the relatively recent change where QX's brand was absorbed into AS such that all QX flights are marketed by AS?

Last edited by jackal; Oct 1, 2011 at 7:51 pm
Old Oct 1, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
That's correct. Also, there have been only AS ticket (027) and no QX tickets for many years.

Originally Posted by jackal
Is this still true with the relatively recent change where QX's brand was absorbed into AS such that all QX flights are marketed by AS?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by jimmychang
That's correct. Also, there have been only AS ticket (027) and no QX tickets for many years.
Well, it is possible to buy a ticket for one airline on another airline's ticket stock (just for grins and giggles, I once bought an itinerary on AA stock with nothing but AS flights, just to see if it could be done), which is a separate issue from interlining.

However, I would have assumed that regional/"express" carriers' interlining policies fall under those of their "parent" carrier--in other words, no one has an interlining agreement directly with, say, OO, but OO interlines with other airlines based on the policies of DL, AS, UA, and whoever else OO subcontracts for.

number_6's post above seems to imply that's not true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.