Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Expired] New Alaska BofA signature visa 40,000 mile signup offer (maybe targeted)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired] New Alaska BofA signature visa 40,000 mile signup offer (maybe targeted)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

Mrs. B received a snail mail postcard yesterday with a 40k signup offer! ^ This makes me feel better about procrasinating on the 25k offer. I will post the signup code and weblink when I get home. Not sure if this is targeted.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:25 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
yes, its targeted.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The online application form does not look targeted:

http://go.bofa.com/hawaii

Or call toll free 800-654-2584

According to T&Cs, "this one time promotion is limited to new customers opening an account in response to this offer"

Offer Expires July 30, 2011. Include boardroom day passes.

Last edited by Boraxo; Jun 17, 2011 at 8:16 pm
Old Jun 16, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Ugh. Very annoying. Both myself and the wife just recently signed up under the 25k offers. And we like the card... going to keep it after the 1st year (at least one of them)

Not expecting to get anywhere, but gonna call and see if they can do anything for us (like what AMEX recently did!).
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:42 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
AS/BofA was a little late in the game coming to the 20 - 25K signup bonus offers some years ago. I wonder if this is a sign that they're going to be a little late in the game of coming to the table with 75-100K signup bonus offers. It appears that they still aren't waiving the fee for the first year...which just about everyone else does.

I'm embarrassed to admit that the bonus was a whopping 5K when I signed up for the card years ago...
Old Jun 16, 2011, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by missydarlin
yes, its targeted.
Does not necessarily mean that non-targeted folks will be turned down. Veteran churners know that it's often worth a try.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
The online application form does look targeted:

http://go.bofa.com/hawaii

Or call toll free 800-654-2584

According to T&Cs, "this one time promotion is limited to new customers opening an account in response to this offer"

Offer Expires July 30, 2011. Include boardroom day passes.
Just curious, where does it say limited to new customers? I clicked on the link and did a search on "new" and couldn't find the text.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
AS/BofA was a little late in the game coming to the 20 - 25K signup bonus offers some years ago. I wonder if this is a sign that they're going to be a little late in the game of coming to the table with 75-100K signup bonus offers. It appears that they still aren't waiving the fee for the first year...which just about everyone else does.

I'm embarrassed to admit that the bonus was a whopping 5K when I signed up for the card years ago...
Agree wholeheartedly. BofA (or AS, whoever controls that--though my $ would be on BofA) seems relatively stingy with the sign-up bonuses. Maybe they figure that AS cardholders are kind of a captive crowd--if you live in (or travel to) Alaska or the PNW, you're pretty much resigned to AS as your primary airline. So, offer just enough bonus miles to get existing Mileage Plan members interested in the card, but they don't necessarily need enough to convince someone to switch from a competing program.

In any case, I, too, was the victim of the paltry 5K bonus. You're not alone.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:00 pm

FWIW, my experience has been hard pulls on BOTH Equifax and Transunion when applying for this card. Not worth 2 inquiries for 1 card, YMMV! I'd much rather get 75K amex and 50k chase (for me, one hits Equifax and the other hits Transunion).
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: IHG Silver
Hmmm. I have been waiting for a better than 25K offer like this to get into the AS program, but I am concerned about not being targeted. Is it compromising anything for others if I call the number to say I wasn't targeted but wanted to get in on the offer? Could I even trust them for the miles if they say yes?

Last edited by G2244; Jun 17, 2011 at 10:15 am
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:49 am

Just now approved for the 40k offer. I did this via the phone with the promo code. I actually had applied last week for the 25k offer and was approved. The nice lady on the phone approved me for the better offer and canceled the first. Very easy to deal with. By the way, I said I received the offer via snail mail, even though I didn't.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
What's interesting is that in the disclosures for the card, they've done a global "search and replace" whereby all the references to "25,000 miles" were changed to "40,000 miles".

It's a bit startling to read "40,000 Bonus miles is enough for a round-trip Coach Saver award ticket in the continental U.S., Alaska or Canada on Alaska Airlines when booked at alaskaair.com." since my first response to seeing it was to double check that they hadn't raised the minimum number of miles needed to book a coach ticket.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: No status anywhere :(
Originally Posted by dgreen12
It's a bit startling to read "40,000 Bonus miles is enough for a round-trip Coach Saver award ticket in the continental U.S., Alaska or Canada on Alaska Airlines when booked at alaskaair.com."
Well, strictly speaking that is still true.

Sort of like the brain teaser "How many months have 28 days in them?"
Old Jun 17, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I just called and they wouldn't give me the difference between the 2 offers (15,000) - I JUST got my new AS card a few weeks ago. Said I'd have to apply for the new card - which means another card with another annual fee. For 15,000 miles it's not worth it to me, but it sure would have been nice to have known and have waited.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:33 pm

Wouldn't you get 40K?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.