Wiki Posts
Search

mvpg upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2011, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVPG
mvpg upgrade question

new to gold status. Trying to figure out the difference between the 4 paper complimentary upgarde coupons I received and the other UG options? also, it seems there are several ways to upgrade but I'm really confused: waitlist on lowest fare? immediate on higher fares which means I'm actually paying for 1st class? something about at the gate? other options?

I sure wish there was an plain speak explanation of all the options and how to get them. The AS website lists everything but I'm afraid their nomenclature is a bit foreign to me.

any help is appreciated.

thanks.

Jack
Old May 3, 2011, 12:50 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Here's a cliff notes version:

Upgrades always depend on how much of the first class cabin Alaska has set aside for upgrades for elite passengers. This is known as "U" space or the "U fare bucket." How many seats there are in that space depends on the flight, how many people usually pay for first class, and how close you are to departure.

If there is U space available, the following upgrade methods can be used at various times:

• Gold Upgrade Certificates – anytime after booking, regardless of status or fare class (these can be given to and used by anybody)

• Instant Upgrade at Booking – if you purchase a fare in a high enough fare class (Value fare or higher), you can get an instant upgrade to First. (Non-Golds can also spend 15,000 miles for a one-way upgrade.)

• Standard Complimentary Upgrade – If you aren't booked in a qualifying fare class for the instant upgrade, this is the "normal" elite upgrade method. You sign up for the waitlist on the website, then the system automatically goes down the waitlist as you get close to departure (75Ks get upgraded 5 days before departure, Golds get upgraded 72 hours before, and MVPs get upgraded 24 hours before). This waitlist stays in place at the airport, so if seats get moved into U space or someone misses a connection, they may give out last-minute upgrades at the gate to whoever is at the top of the waitlist.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions.
Old May 3, 2011, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stellertony
Here's a cliff notes version:

Upgrades always depend on how much of the first class cabin Alaska has set aside for upgrades for elite passengers. This is known as "U" space or the "U fare bucket." How many seats there are in that space depends on the flight, how many people usually pay for first class, and how close you are to departure.

If there is U space available, the following upgrade methods can be used at various times:

• Gold Upgrade Certificates – anytime after booking, regardless of status or fare class (these can be given to and used by anybody)

• Instant Upgrade at Booking – if you purchase a fare in a high enough fare class (Value fare or higher), you can get an instant upgrade to First. (Non-Golds can also spend 15,000 miles for a one-way upgrade.)

• Standard Complimentary Upgrade – If you aren't booked in a qualifying fare class for the instant upgrade, this is the "normal" elite upgrade method. You sign up for the waitlist on the website, then the system automatically goes down the waitlist as you get close to departure (75Ks get upgraded 5 days before departure, Golds get upgraded 72 hours before, and MVPs get upgraded 24 hours before). This waitlist stays in place at the airport, so if seats get moved into U space or someone misses a connection, they may give out last-minute upgrades at the gate to whoever is at the top of the waitlist.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions.
thanks, this does help! So with the standard upgrade, is there any reason to call back in prior to departure? It's all automatic? If so, is thre any reason to check with the gate agent? Is there any advantage to the time I would check in online? I keep seeing posts about folks checking the website every hour ..............?

Also, when purchasing the ticket are there any tricks?

Just seems like there are all kinds of posts on this forum talking about little things that can be done - that's what's confusing to me.
Old May 3, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by stellertony
... Standard Complimentary Upgrade – If you aren't booked in a qualifying fare class for the instant upgrade, this is the "normal" elite upgrade method. You sign up for the waitlist on the website, then the system automatically goes down the waitlist as you get close to departure (75Ks get upgraded 5 days before departure, Golds get upgraded 72 hours before, and MVPs get upgraded 24 hours before). This waitlist stays in place at the airport, so if seats get moved into U space or someone misses a connection, they may give out last-minute upgrades at the gate to whoever is at the top of the waitlist.
Nice summary, stellertony. Just a couple of points:

MVPs get upgraded at 48 hours -- a minor point to Golds but important to us lowly MVPs.

Also the OP might want to know that the system seems to put people on the waitlist automatically now if they qualify at time of purchase. When that happens a message saying "First Class waitlisted" appears below the flight number on their itinerary. It's easy to miss, as it's much smaller than it was on the old website format.
Old May 3, 2011, 8:25 am
Original Poster

one more question - one time I was trying to use one of my gold certificates which I understand can be used on any fare, even the lowest - BUT, after I purchased the "Best Fare" ticket I called in and the CSA said I couldn't use the certificate but maybe I could later if it opens up in U class. Other fares did show U available but not this low fare. So, what do I do going forward to use the certificate, and, why ever use it for myself if I'm on the auto wait list?

thanks again
Old May 3, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by jfolliard
one more question - one time I was trying to use one of my gold certificates which I understand can be used on any fare, even the lowest - BUT, after I purchased the "Best Fare" ticket I called in and the CSA said I couldn't use the certificate but maybe I could later if it opens up in U class. Other fares did show U available but not this low fare. So, what do I do going forward to use the certificate, and, why ever use it for myself if I'm on the auto wait list?

thanks again
When you book a flight and want to use the paper certificate there has to be upgrades available. This is will be noted by a "U" next to the fare on the grid. No "u" no upgrades available at that time.
Old May 3, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
There is also Luiz Miranda's Flight Tracker site that will let you know when upgrades are available on AS flights. You have to go in and check manually but the service is free.

Last edited by dave1013; May 3, 2011 at 6:43 pm Reason: Spelling
Old May 3, 2011, 8:43 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
the OP might want to know that the system seems to put people on the waitlist automatically now if they qualify at time of purchase. When that happens a message saying "First Class waitlisted" appears below the flight number on their itinerary.
Very true. You must opt out if you do not want the upgrade.
Old May 3, 2011, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by jfolliard
thanks, this does help! So with the standard upgrade, is there any reason to call back in prior to departure? It's all automatic? If so, is thre any reason to check with the gate agent? Is there any advantage to the time I would check in online? I keep seeing posts about folks checking the website every hour ..............?

Also, when purchasing the ticket are there any tricks?

Just seems like there are all kinds of posts on this forum talking about little things that can be done - that's what's confusing to me.
Here are a couple of posts that may be helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15097851-post67.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15135647-post74.html
A little more extensive: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15236143-post94.html
Old May 3, 2011, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
very helpful! thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

Jack
Old May 4, 2011, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.1067 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by BOB W
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
the OP might want to know that the system seems to put people on the waitlist automatically now if they qualify at time of purchase. When that happens a message saying "First Class waitlisted" appears below the flight number on their itinerary.
Very true. You must opt out if you do not want the upgrade.
Have you opted out?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.