FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014)
Old Nov 8, 2010, 9:23 am
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Sajoba
I am MVPG and working towards MVPG75K and am pretty familiar with AK Air website, but new to FlyerTalk.
Welcome!

1) I see lots of folks referring to F2 U0 kinds of things when looking to see if they can get upgraded....just wondering where they see that or how they know. I usually just pull up the same itinerary as a new reservation to see if seats are available but am wondering if there is a better way.
These are fare class inventory availability codes that you can find through GDSes (text-based reservations systems used by travel agents). Those of us who aren't travel agents can find this information out usually through a paid service like ExpertFlyer. F2 means there are two more F seats for sale, and U0 means none of those F seats is available for upgrade (yet! We constantly hold out hope they will be released...). Such knowledge gives us an idea of our upgrade chances. F1 U0 is pretty hopeless, whereas F7 U0 is pretty decent, and I would much rather book an F7 U0 flight than an F1 U0 flight.

F7 U7 73 hours before departure is exciting, since at 72 hours out, one of those F seats could very well become mine!

(7 is the most AS shows, so F7 means there could be 7, 8, 10, or even all 16 seats available for sale.)

2) I am frustrated that I can't seem to use my 4 upgrade coupons easily.....seems like it was easier in the past....do they only work on the flights that have the U on the fare choice list. I never paid that close attention to that in the past but I may have just been lucky. I tried to use my coupons for two upcoming MR trips and was told that I could not for any of those legs which is a bummer. Any secrets here?
Yes, you do need to pick flights that have U on the fare choice list (U meaning, again, that Upgradeable First space is open). If you can't pick flights with U class available initially, a paid service like Expertflyer as mentioned above (or a free site like http://lmoffice.com) will allow you to set alerts that will email you when U class is opened up (Alaska periodically releases seats from F into U, so watching that like a hawk can be the difference between confirming your upgrade and not) so you can then call in and confirm your upgrades before anyone else does.

3) How are folks adding their mileage plan and program info to their profiles? I am looking through the profile info and am not seeing it.:
It's under the Quick Links menu on the navigation bar at the top--click Edit Profile. Or just click here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/profi...do=editprofile

Again, welcome to FlyerTalk!