Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines operated by Skywest (the fate of the CR7's)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines operated by Skywest (the fate of the CR7's)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:06 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
The 5 CRJs will fly BUR-PDX, ONT-PDX and LGB-SEA, SBA-SEA, perhaps with a flight or two between SEA and PDX for positioning. Only one of the two FAT-SEA flights is showing as a CRJ...I hope that changes.

All Bay Area/SMF to PDX flights will be Q400s, it appears.
I thought there was a restriction on props at SFO gates. UAX was grandfathered. How could QX bring in the DH4s to SFO?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HNL
I thought there was a restriction on props at SFO gates. UAX was grandfathered. How could QX bring in the DH4s to SFO?
I think the restriction has been eliminated.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AS BR, DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sxf24
I think the restriction has been eliminated.
Wasn't it just reported that mainline AS service would be returning to PDX-SFO?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Interesting that Skywest can fly CR7's cheaper than QX can! Just a comment...not a slam.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Economies of scale. QX has a lot of routes where a Q400 works better than an RJ, so they are left with a relative handful of routes < 600 miles.

What I wonder about is if/when QX will start flying Q's OUTSIDE of AAG. It would seem to me there's a decent amount of 300-500 mile trips where a Q would be a great alternative to a 50-seat RJ, and more economical than a 70-seater. I would think DL or AA might be interested in some around SLC and LAX, for instance.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Economies of scale. QX has a lot of routes where a Q400 works better than an RJ, so they are left with a relative handful of routes < 600 miles.

What I wonder about is if/when QX will start flying Q's OUTSIDE of AAG. It would seem to me there's a decent amount of 300-500 mile trips where a Q would be a great alternative to a 50-seat RJ, and more economical than a 70-seater. I would think DL or AA might be interested in some around SLC and LAX, for instance.
Just look at the route map in the magazine- all those other routes not served by AS/QX could be Scary thought.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:22 pm

Programs: No status anywhere :(
Originally Posted by formeraa
Interesting that Skywest can fly CR7's cheaper than QX can! Just a comment...not a slam.
The issue is not whether Skywest can operate CR7s at a lower cost than Horizon. The issue is that Horizon can realize substantial savings by going to a single fleet type. Even if Skywest costs more than Horizon to fly the CR7s, it would still be a net positive to AAG because of the savings achieved by standardizing their fleet.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:13 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by davew-krdm
My feeling about this is.... I'd rather fly a Q400 staffed by Horizon than a CR7 staffed by Skywest for a flight of comparable distance.
Flown 3 flights with Skywest in the last year... Their service was just standard, but I did not find it to be sub-par.. As a matter of fact, I had a great FA on some of those flights...

I guess it is YMMV... However, on average the QX FAs are better than Skywest no doubt... I hope AS arranges to move some QX FAs to mainline [those who will be "replaced" with OO FAs]... After all, AS will be seeing capacity increases for the next few years...

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
All Bay Area/SMF to PDX flights will be Q400s, it appears.
There will be a few PDX-Bay Area mainline flights... Particularly out of SFO/SJC, so the bay area customers do have an option of flying on AS.

Originally Posted by SEA-ORDFF
Wasn't it just reported that mainline AS service would be returning to PDX-SFO?
Already has... There is one daily mainline flight now I think, the evening flight....
Old Jan 29, 2011, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jwright
The issue is not whether Skywest can operate CR7s at a lower cost than Horizon. The issue is that Horizon can realize substantial savings by going to a single fleet type. Even if Skywest costs more than Horizon to fly the CR7s, it would still be a net positive to AAG because of the savings achieved by standardizing their fleet.
Like I said, it's interesting that Skywest can fly CR7's cheaper than QX can. When I say fly, I mean the FULLY allocated cost (the same as you).
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by formeraa
Like I said, it's interesting that Skywest can fly CR7's cheaper than QX can. When I say fly, I mean the FULLY allocated cost (the same as you).
Skywest's pay scale is generally lower and they have the benefit of spreading the cost of spares, maintenance and training over a much larger fleet.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, US Airways Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Platinum, Hilton Hhonors Silver
Skywest currently operates 83 CRJ-700 aircraft....it's more cost effective to operate when you have a fleet of that size than it is to try to maintain parts, spares, training, etc. when you only have a handful of aircraft
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Buster
Interesting - this suggests that SkyWest is likely to show up on my preferred BUR-PDX route. I'm curious as to what this means from a safety perspective. I've always felt confident flying QX, but it looks like SkyWest was just fined by the FAA for safety and maintenance lapses. Quite frankly, regionals other than QX have always scared the bejeesus out of me, and I'm not sure I feel great about flying SkyWest as often as I fly QX.

Any thoughts on this? I realize I'm probably being paranoid...
Surprised you're the first person who's mentioned this aspect.

I've been a bit jittery about flying regional airlines ever since discovering their pilots are more often than not underpaid, overworked, under-slept sub-minimum-wage 1,000-hour wonders. However, ever since discovering that description doesn't fit QX pilots, I've felt a lot more comfortable flying them.

With 1,000-hour wonders taking over these routes from experienced QX pilots, I'm a little unsure what I want to do with my upcoming SEA-LGB trip.

Also on a safety note: QX aircraft are equipped with highly advanced equipment that allows operations in inclement weather other airlines (especially Regionals) are not equipped to do. With dual GPSes and RNP capabilities and HUDs and equipment to support Cat III ILS landings, QX aircraft are exceedingly well prepared to handle the low visibility that can occur in places like SEA, PDX, and SFO. Will OO be able to maintain the same OTP record as QX in weather situations? If not, and flights get delayed, AS needs to be held accountable for their decision to outsource these flights. (Unfortunately, holding AS accountable for that decision will be difficult, as "weather" waives most possibilities of compensation.)
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:56 pm

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by jackal

With 1,000-hour wonders taking over these routes from experienced QX pilots, I'm a little unsure what I want to do with my upcoming SEA-LGB trip.

Also on a safety note: QX aircraft are equipped with highly advanced equipment that allows operations in inclement weather other airlines (especially Regionals) are not equipped to do. With dual GPSes and RNP capabilities and HUDs and equipment to support Cat III ILS landings, QX aircraft are exceedingly well prepared to handle the low visibility that can occur in places like SEA, PDX, and SFO. Will OO be able to maintain the same OTP record as QX in weather situations? If not, and flights get delayed, AS needs to be held accountable for their decision to outsource these flights. (Unfortunately, holding AS accountable for that decision will be difficult, as "weather" waives most possibilities of compensation.)
Did you know that SkyWest was founded a full 9 years before Horizon?

Did you know that SkyWest and Horizon did not lower their hiring minimums (1200 hours) when others were lowering theirs to 250 hours?

Did you know that both Horizon and SkyWest (as well as Eagle) are the regionals that pretty much every other regional pilot aspire to fly for?

Frankly, I wouldn't be concerned, as the "1000 hour wonder pilots" that you mention simply do not exist at SkyWest.

Regarding the landing capabilities, SkyWest CRJs are CAT II authorized. They haven't really had a need, like Horizon, to upgrade to Cat IIIa, as the airports they mainly fly to very rarely see such conditions, and aren't certified for it anyhow since it's so rarely required.

Last edited by DXjr; Jan 29, 2011 at 8:18 pm
Old Jan 29, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by DXjr

Regarding the landing capabilities, SkyWest CRJs are CAT II authorized. They haven't really had a need, like Horizon, to upgrade to Cat IIIa, as the airports they mainly fly to very rarely see such conditions, and aren't certified for it anyhow since it's so rarely required.
well you didn't try to fly in/out of FAT several times this week on OO. Many flights bounced b/c of the Tule fog this week. It's funny OO is not CatIIIa considering FAT is their mx base. At least I was mostly booked on the rj's.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by prestonh
well you didn't try to fly in/out of FAT several times this week on OO. Many flights bounced b/c of the Tule fog this week. It's funny OO is not CatIIIa considering FAT is their mx base. At least I was mostly booked on the rj's.
Oh, I didn't need to fly there. I had to hold several flights back because of the fog. The past few weeks has been pretty bad for fog in the central valley and SLC. Usually, it's not so bad and burns off by 9-10. Nope. This fog has been sitting there until 2-3 in the afternoon.

On top of that, I've had several planes that couldn't even taxi out for departure due to the fog at FAT. We're talking abnormally bad here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.