Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines operated by Skywest (the fate of the CR7's)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011, 3:35 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass

In other threads (like this one and this one), this is being referred to as old news...but in case anyone (like me) missed it...it's official, Skywest will be operating 5 of the CR7's being phased out by QX for Alaska Airlines. See this article.

SkyWest Airlines has reached an agreement with Alaska Airlines to operate five of the Bombardier CRJ700s exiting the fleet of Alaska's regional unit Horizon Air.

Alaska Airlines president Brad Tilden says SkyWest will operate the five CRJ700s primarily on routes between California and Pacific Northwest. These routes are currently served with Horizon CRJ700s but Tilden explains they are too long for Q400s and too thin to be up-gauged to Alaska mainline Boeing 737s.
Note to mods - feel free to merge this thread as you see fit - perhaps modifying one of the existing thread titles.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), UA Silver, OW Sapphire
My feeling about this is.... I'd rather fly a Q400 staffed by Horizon than a CR7 staffed by Skywest for a flight of comparable distance.

My experiences here in RDM (where Skywest already flies for both Delta and United) has been universally sub-par compared to my QX flights. Which is why I always choose to fly RDM-SEA (wherever) rather than RDM-SLC or RDM-DEN.

Here's hoping that Skywest flying for Alaska does a bit better in the service department than Skywest flying for DL/UA.

Dave
Old Jan 25, 2011, 3:54 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by davew-krdm
My feeling about this is.... I'd rather fly a Q400 staffed by Horizon than a CR7 staffed by Skywest for a flight of comparable distance.

My experiences here in RDM (where Skywest already flies for both Delta and United) has been universally sub-par compared to my QX flights. Which is why I always choose to fly RDM-SEA (wherever) rather than RDM-SLC or RDM-DEN.

Here's hoping that Skywest flying for Alaska does a bit better in the service department than Skywest flying for DL/UA.

Dave
Yes...I wonder how much say AS has in the service. After all, they are putting their name on the line by sub-contracting these flights. If the service is not what people have come to expect from AS, it may alienate occasional flyers who never make the distinction between the regional carrier and the name on the plane. Additionally, I wonder if the QX microbrews will make it over to these OO operated flights?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Hopefully it's a semi-temporary solution while they decided on their own aircraft for these routes. I wonder if Skywest will want to update the interiors with an F cabin, I think all of their other CR7's have F seats.

Was just told that they won't be putting F seats in, makes sense but would have been nice to have.

Last edited by alphaeagle; Jan 25, 2011 at 4:24 pm Reason: New Info
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Hopefully it's a semi-temporary solution while they decided on their own aircraft for these routes. I wonder if Skywest will want to update the interiors with an F cabin, I think all of their other CR7's have F seats.

Was just told that they won't be putting F seats in, makes sense but would have been nice to have.
We can only hope it's temporary. I've still got my fingers crossed that some CS100 orders are in AS/QX's future as a more permanent CR7 replacement. Of course, not holding my breath on that.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:44 pm

Programs: Alaska-MVP
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
I wonder if Skywest will want to update the interiors with an F cabin, I think all of their other CR7's have F seats.
I suspect Skywest doesn't care, and that the decision to have an F cabin on the other CR7s was coming from UA / DL.

There is a Q&A on the alaskasworld.com employee site up today indicating that there will not be any F cabin on Alaska operated by Skywest, essentially stating the same reasons outlined by RASMGuy in other threads (i.e., almost no one is willing to pay for F on a 2-hour flight, and AS doesn't have much connecting traffic on the RJ flights).

At least ther will still be free beer and wine (contrary to someone's 2011 prediction), and I hope this means that PDX-BUR stays.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by isherwood
I suspect Skywest doesn't care, and that the decision to have an F cabin on the other CR7s was coming from UA / DL.

There is a Q&A on the alaskasworld.com employee site up today indicating that there will not be any F cabin on Alaska operated by Skywest, essentially stating the same reasons outlined by RASMGuy in other threads (i.e., almost no one is willing to pay for F on a 2-hour flight, and AS doesn't have much connecting traffic on the RJ flights).

At least ther will still be free beer and wine (contrary to someone's 2011 prediction), and I hope this means that PDX-BUR stays.
Probably the same one as posted in this airliners.net thread http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo.../5047983/1/#12
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:56 pm

Beware the operational sub! Was bored on a conference call and browsed a few hundred pictures on a.net. Looks like Skywest has somewhere around 15 CRJ-200's flying around sporting Skywest livery, and one CRJ-900 and no 700's.

Good news, Skywest has the fleet to bring in another plane during maintenance, irrops, etc. Bad news, it will probably be a 200!
Old Jan 26, 2011, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by johnp012001
Beware the operational sub! Was bored on a conference call and browsed a few hundred pictures on a.net. Looks like Skywest has somewhere around 15 CRJ-200's flying around sporting Skywest livery, and one CRJ-900 and no 700's.

Good news, Skywest has the fleet to bring in another plane during maintenance, irrops, etc. Bad news, it will probably be a 200!
Yup.. we'll probably get that it sounds like when they pull out the CRJ700's for repainting
Old Jan 26, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium

I'd be fine with a substitute CRJ-700 in DL or UA livery. It'd be a nice April Fools' Day hoax.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
I'd be fine with a substitute CRJ-700 in DL or UA livery. It'd be a nice April Fools' Day hoax.
Stranger things could happen. I once rode in a Frontier CR7 SEA-PDX, and saw the Animal Tails at PDX regularly. If they did substitue a DL/UA 700, lucky people in Row 1 & 2 and maybe 3!
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:22 pm

Wirelessly posted (beckoa\'s PWP wonderous poster: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
Stranger things could happen. I once rode in a Frontier CR7 SEA-PDX, and saw the Animal Tails at PDX regularly. If they did substitue a DL/UA 700, lucky people in Row 1 & 2 and maybe 3!
...Except for those who would lose their seats
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:41 pm

Interesting - this suggests that SkyWest is likely to show up on my preferred BUR-PDX route. I'm curious as to what this means from a safety perspective. I've always felt confident flying QX, but it looks like SkyWest was just fined by the FAA for safety and maintenance lapses. Quite frankly, regionals other than QX have always scared the bejeesus out of me, and I'm not sure I feel great about flying SkyWest as often as I fly QX.

Any thoughts on this? I realize I'm probably being paranoid...
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:20 pm

The 5 CRJs will fly BUR-PDX, ONT-PDX and LGB-SEA, SBA-SEA, perhaps with a flight or two between SEA and PDX for positioning. Only one of the two FAT-SEA flights is showing as a CRJ...I hope that changes.

All Bay Area/SMF to PDX flights will be Q400s, it appears.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:32 am

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
At least in the short-term, we are not stuck in a Q400 going more than 600 miles....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.