Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines First Class - From First to Worst. Please Share Your Thoughts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines First Class - From First to Worst. Please Share Your Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:03 am

Just a quick note from a satisfied flyer ...... (on service and meal)

OAK - KOA / KOA - OAK

Gambled on the outbound for an upgrade, didn't get it and stayed in 15D. Was hovered over during the entire flight with great service, (service meaning, being asked multiple times if I wanted another beverage, cookies, nuts, and meal packs). Flight 887 was completely full, so no crew was standing by idly.

The return flight, 888, I did get the upgrade and enjoyed one very good meal.

Garden Greens Salad, with Newmans Salad Dressing.
Salmon with Crab Meat, Mashed Potato, and Asperagus.
Pinapple Upsidedown Cake, Coffee.

I asked if the meal was catered from OAK - indeed it was. All portions were fresh, well staged and presented. From the looks of the empty tray tables being returned to the galley, I don't think anyone had any complaints.

Coming full circle to the essence of the OP's thread title - it is a reality that the amount and quality of 'F' Class service has been reduced over the past 5 years. However, I feel it measures up to the expectations of the consumer. AS' product is certainly on par with the consumers cost of the product purchased.

As an example, OAK - KOA - OAK all in for less than $300USD. That got me a confirmed exit row seat both ways, with a status upgrade F seat on the return. My experience, for my cash outlay, certainly was a pleasant one.

My basic travel needs for the above referenced trip were:
Safe Mode of Travel
Confirmed Seat
Lavatory
My expectations for travel are rarely more than this, but by flying AS, it is a safe bet that my expectations are met and more importantly, exceeded. I know what to expect, am given multiple opportunities to maximize status for best effect, and that makes me comfortable in choosing AS for my travel needs.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SWA CP, SWA A list, Hyatt Platinum, Hhilton Gold, Makai Club
Has 310 become the new dinnertime?

On yesterday's SFO-PSP 310pm flight bruschetta were announced for F (never materialized...salmon mousse instead) but on PSP-SFO 530 flight only warm nuts were offered in F. No food left over from Y for Fs.

My question...which FAs could not answer is why a more substantial meal @ 310 pm (officially time for a between meal snack) than @530 (which most might think might be dinnertime).

None of the FAs could even venture to answer why...
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SWA CP, SWA A list, Hyatt Platinum, Hhilton Gold, Makai Club
PS Row 1 has far more recline on 737-400 than on 737-800

Again I wish they would look into the embarrassingly tiny amount of recline in row 1 on their ETOPs planes,other 737-800s
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by thumbelina
Again I wish they would look into the embarrassingly tiny amount of recline in row 1 on their ETOPs planes,other 737-800s
Row 2 passengers may have a differing viewpoint
Old Nov 27, 2010, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by thumbelina
On yesterday's SFO-PSP 310pm flight bruschetta were announced for F (never materialized...salmon mousse instead) but on PSP-SFO 530 flight only warm nuts were offered in F. No food left over from Y for Fs.

My question...which FAs could not answer is why a more substantial meal @ 310 pm (officially time for a between meal snack) than @530 (which most might think might be dinnertime).

None of the FAs could even venture to answer why...
Honestly, I don't think the SFO-PSP-SFO are scheduled for anything other than a beverage service in F. It's slightly more than a one hour flight. If I'm correct (and I think I am), they used the the catering for the SEA-SFO-SEA flights and those flights probably went without. The reason there would have been no food left over from Y for F is because they should have only been selling picnic packs on this flight and they can't comp those.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Honestly, I don't think the SFO-PSP-SFO are scheduled for anything other than a beverage service in F. It's slightly more than a one hour flight. If I'm correct (and I think I am), they used the the catering for the SEA-SFO-SEA flights and those flights probably went without. The reason there would have been no food left over from Y for F is because they should have only been selling picnic packs on this flight and they can't comp those.
One reason that I used to like the snack basket. They were on all flights. Another reason is that I used to buy a sandwich or salad and bring it onboard, and use the snack basket snackums as the accoutrement to make a more complete meal. Ironic how some people would rather have an "elegant" plate of something they don't want to eat, than something they want to eat, but won't admit it, with wrappers flying all over the place.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
VX is the only competition that provides a meal in F on their flights up and down the west coast and AS responded to that by offering a slightly better meal. I've heard many say that AS lacks in their short haul F product but if you compare it to other airlines it's leagues ahead - with the one exception of VX.
Just flew VX yesterday LAX-SEA for the first time in almost a year. It was a 3:50 PM departure, which is typically bruschetta hour on AS for this route.

Holy crap, it was a veritable smorgasbord! PDB was offered right as I sat down. Once airborne they brought the snack basket along with the drinks. Next came a choice of hot meals (yes, that's right a choice) including a vegetarian option, warm rolls, and a desert. Everyone was offered seconds on the rolls of which there were two different kinds. Everything except the desert was warm, and most importantly, no freaking salad! After the meal was cleared away, they brought the snack basket around again. I won't even get into the differences in the seating and IFE options which are in a completely different league from AS.

Also of note, the FA announced repeatedly that the F lav was "only for first class passengers." Amazingly, despite the lack of a curtain nobody from coach strolled through in the entire 2.5 hours.

Many folks around here like to point out that you don't get to sit in F for free on VX. If you're lucky, you might snag a discounted upgrade at T-6. In my case I paid full F, but get this...it was almost $100 less than AS 's full F, roughly the same price as AS's "value" fare.

Don't get me wrong, I still mostly enjoy flying AS but by comparison VX is like a hedonistic indulgence. Too bad their FF program is almost totally worthless.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Too bad their FF program is almost totally worthless.
You could buy ~5,000 EQM on AS right now with that $100 you saved. Or set it aside for paying for a long trip somewhere in J/F.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
hmm... wonder how VX's bottom line doing...
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Made a profit last quarter.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You could buy ~5,000 EQM on AS right now with that $100 you saved. Or set it aside for paying for a long trip somewhere in J/F.
You mean RDM right? If you know where I can buy EQM for 2 cpm then PM me.

Seriously though, for me VX is a rare treat, but one where I always feel like I've gotten my money's worth.

For $370 it's understandable why AS doesn't get a lot of takers for full F LAX-SEA. In my situation, I was shopping for the ticket inside of the 72 hour window. My cheapest choice on AS was a $215 Q fare, but none of the desirable flights had U available. Then I checked VX and found F for $269. If the AS fare is $100 or less, then it's a no-brainer. If, however, I have to spend the big money regardless I might as well go all-out and live it up.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:24 pm

I don't agree with the OP at all, in that AS F service was never first, and it's certainly very far from worst. Anyway, I'll share my observations.

Seat pitch: It's not drastically different from other airlines on their narrowbodies. Obviously it is nothing like VX, but the 738s have adequate legroom in F. Not exceptional, but I certainly never felt cramped. The only planes I thought were cramped in F were the MD-80s, which are now gone, and the 734s, which are still around, but there aren't as many. Bottom line is that the AS seating is designed for short-haul flights. I think they could invest in better padded seats at least for the 738s since they do so many transcon/Hawaii flights now.

Flight attendants: About 90% of the AS F/As I've had have been excellent. There are a few indifferent ones out there, and that's nothing new. Over the years I have generally had good service. I do think that the new checked luggage policy is creating headaches for F/As, who have to police the overhead bins and gate-check more bags. Otherwise, I think the biggest change has been in passenger behavior, which has gotten a lot worse over the years. It's hard for flight attendants to stay cheerful when they have a bunch of grumpy and inconsiderate passengers to deal with. I think the company could give F/As some service pointers for F, and try to make the experience more consistent. They should institute a pre-flight beverage service at least for transcon/Hawaii flights.

Powerports: I agree AS should have taken care of this years ago. Originally, the 738s were going to have powerports when they arrived, but some bean counter nixed it. I actually don't even care about the lack of IFE, but the powerports would be really nice for transcons.

Food: I actually have really enjoyed some of the transcon F meals recently. The breakfasts I've had have all been good. The meals on midcon flights are inadequate, and AS needs to address this. Food in F on AS was always a little hit-or-miss. I remember some flights going back 10-15 years with absolutely terrible food in F or none at all. The main thing they need to work on is consistency.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Dec 2, 2010 at 12:42 am
Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Food: I actually have really enjoyed some of the transcon F meals recently. The breakfasts I've had have all been good. The meals on midcon flights are inadequate, and AS needs to address this. Food in F on AS was always a little hit-or-miss. I remember some flights going back 10-15 years with absolutely terrible food in F or none at all. The main thing they need to work on is consistency.
I did not have a bad meal until the shroomwich
Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:33 pm

I have received a salad with goat cheese on SFO-PSP several times before and I don't think it was a mistake.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
I don't agree with the OP at all, in that AS F service was never first, and it's certainly very far from worst. Anyway, I'll share my observations.
Did you ever fly them pre-mid-90s? The F service was outstanding. The seats, while never the greatest, seemed rather comfy on the 727s. 3 course hot meals at most hours Bay Area to Pac NW. Salad cart to ANC w/ really nice entrees. Dessert may have been from a cart, too. (Ice cream sundaes w/whipped cream and other toppings, etc.) The planes also had one more FA than industry standard/FAA minimums, so on AC that now have 3, they had 4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.