Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines First Class - From First to Worst. Please Share Your Thoughts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines First Class - From First to Worst. Please Share Your Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by erikatcuse
I know UA and CO are "merged" but until they become one next year CO has a great IFE system with it's Directv and their food is better than DL and depending on the flight (transcon) better than AS. I flew mainly for business and didn't have to worry about upgrades so can't comment but their fleet is newer and the seats for the most part are good too (those 757 transcon's are their oldest and worst)
Well here's hoping some of that can translate into UA. I knew absolutely nothing about CO F, so I forgot all about it in my list, thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by erikatcuse
CO ... seats for the most part are good too (those 757 transcon's are their oldest and worst)
CO's new First Class seats are just about the most uncomfortable in the industry.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Honestly, aside from VX, they're all pretty similar.
Well, I would qualify that a bit: AA, UA and DL's JFK-CA transcon service are pretty competitive with VX, plus you can score 3-class metal on AA and UA that also is competitive (or even better), plus the occasional longhaul repositioning flight on DL and CO that AS doesn't have.

But unless you're able to pick and choose planes accordingly to stay off of single-aisle planes, or flying a lot to and from JFK, the F you get on the majors is pretty comparable to the F you get on AS.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 3:14 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by SFO777
CO's new First Class seats are just about the most uncomfortable in the industry.
I think only a couple of 737s have them, because of the Kokito scandal... Whats funny, the uncomfortable seats you are talking about is the same seat that AS uses in F on the 73Hs

*At least that is my understanding

Last edited by golfingboy; Dec 22, 2010 at 7:51 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Glob, AA 1MM. Former UA 1K, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by dabears1020
This seems like a pretty good summary of it all to me.

Every carrier has their strong points and their weak points.

I generally see it like this:

AA- Not a very friendly upgrade system for an elite on a "budget", but arguably the best though for feeding you well on short and medium length flights.

UA- Relatively friendly upgrade system, although that can reduce your shot of an upgrade at times. Food is a bit lacking on short routes, and United Express routes are a joke. Power ports, Channel 9, and decent pitch are all a plus.

DL- Very easy domestic upgrades, but at the expense of basically nonexistent international upgrades. Food is okay, though forget about a hot breakfast under 1500 miles. Wifi has good coverage throughout the fleet.

AS- Easiest upgrades of any US airline, hands down. When I was an MVP I made 100% of my short haul and midcon upgrades, and even managed to snag a transcon, all at t-48. Seats and pitch are nothing special, and food is pretty sub-par on non-transcon routes. Transcon meals are some of the best around. 99% of FAs are awesome, service is almost always great.

VX- Without a doubt the best domestic F product around. Full meal service on short West Coast flights last time I flew it, very attentive FAs, wifi, fantastic inflight entertainment system, massaging chairs, you name it. VXs domestic F can easily compete with and even beat some international carriers. Of course, this all comes at a price. Upgrades are pricy and must be purchased. Frequent flyer program is a joke.

Honestly, aside from VX, they're all pretty similar. It really just comes down to what your personal preferences are and what airlines scheduling and routes work for you. There isn't one major airline that I would easily pick out as "worst".
UA: When was the last time anyone here had a working power port on UA? I see them so rarely these days that I've just given up on the idea. And as for upgrades, as a 1K, it's quite rare that I'm not upgraded, even when buying tickets just a week out or so (though if I switch flights at the last minute, and it's a busy time, that's a different story).

AS: Easiest upgrades? Really? Yes, I'm regularly upgraded on AS short-haul flights, and it's nice and easy. But UA short-haul upgrades are similarly plentiful and easy, at least where I fly. As for midcons and transcons, it's much easier for me to upgrade as a UA 1K than as an AS MVPG. I'd say my success rate on UA transcons is 80-90 percent. With AS it's more like 40-50 percent, maybe less.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by seaflyguy
AS: Easiest upgrades? Really? Yes, I'm regularly upgraded on AS short-haul flights, and it's nice and easy. But UA short-haul upgrades are similarly plentiful and easy, at least where I fly. As for midcons and transcons, it's much easier for me to upgrade as a UA 1K than as an AS MVPG. I'd say my success rate on UA transcons is 80-90 percent. With AS it's more like 40-50 percent, maybe less.
I guess I shouldn't be drawing conclusions from just myself then, but as an MVP the only upgrade I ever missed was a transcon. I made every single other upgrade every time I flew. That to me is pretty impressive.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:06 pm

Aren't these CO's new domestic F seats? They are very similar to AS seats but more comfortable. I have to say that AS seats "are just about the most uncomfortable in the industry." (Sorry for the crappy iphone picture.)

Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:15 pm

My only complaint about most AS seats is the massive gap between them. Makes me feel weird using my laptop knowing the person behind me and to the side can see everything on my screen.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
My only complaint about most AS seats is the massive gap between them. Makes me feel weird using my laptop knowing the person behind me and to the side can see everything on my screen.
Yes, but it made for a perfect opportunity for an attempted paparazzi shot of Anthony Kiedis earlier this month!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by United757
Aren't these CO's new domestic F seats? They are very similar to AS seats but more comfortable. I have to say that AS seats "are just about the most uncomfortable in the industry." (Sorry for the crappy iphone picture.)

Unfortunately not the same angle, but they do look a little similar. Thin, kind of like sitting on plywood but without the slivers.

Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:07 pm

Unfortunately not the same angle, but they do look a little similar. Thin, kind of like sitting on plywood but without the slivers.

Those are the same seats. AS is worse
Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh joy, I get them next weekend on SFO-PSP-SFO. At least they are short flights.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:19 pm

You guys are all a bunch of babies.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You guys are all a bunch of babies.
Hey, I resemble that remark.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 6:09 pm

The seats with the TV's in the seat backs are completely different seats than Alaska's.

The Continental 737-800's with temporary seating are the same as Alaska's. In fact Alaska and Boeing were involved in making the seats available to Continental so it could finally take delivery of delayed 737-800's. I'm not sure if the seats were already ordered by Alaska and were on-site in Renton but were not needed because of delivery date changes - or something else. But I was told by someone in the know at Continental that Alaska was providing the seats temporarily.

I was recently on a Continental 737-800 with the Alaska seats. Indeed they are the same and equally as uncomfortable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.