Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When AS planes retire…

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:57 am
Original Poster

When AS planes retire…

On my way to OTP this morning my cab driver had to stop for gas next to the airport. Got a chance to snap this photo of a plane sitting inside the fence (sorry for the poor quality – was taken out of the window with my iPhone)…Look at the remaining part of the tail…

http://www.photoshop.com/accounts/d1...d447524b0fe8ca
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:51 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Euroboy
On my way to OTP this morning my cab driver had to stop for gas next to the airport. Got a chance to snap this photo of a plane sitting inside the fence (sorry for the poor quality – was taken out of the window with my iPhone)…Look at the remaining part of the tail…

hmm wonder if its an old AS jet or a different A/C with an AS rudder. Nice find though
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa\'s PWP wonderous poster: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by ANC
Originally Posted by Euroboy

hmm wonder if its an old AS jet or a different A/C with an AS rudder. Nice find though
Yeah no tail number... But thanks for the shot ^

Sometimes its amasing where stuff shows up
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
This makes me wonder what will come after the 737. Wouldn't be surprised to see Alaska add something a little more substantial to their fleet some day with all the new, longer Hawaii and transcon routes that seem to be the current flavor of expansion.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by dabears1020
This makes me wonder what will come after the 737. Wouldn't be surprised to see Alaska add something a little more substantial to their fleet some day with all the new, longer Hawaii and transcon routes that seem to be the current flavor of expansion.
Yeah... but then AS looses the efficiency of having an all 737 fleet. Perhaps if this newer A/C used 4 737NG engines to keep some parts the same
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
The MD80 owned. The finest planes ever made were built at LGB.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Was the plane you saw at OTP or was it at the smaller, BBU airport in Bucharest?

According to the data on CH-Aviation, there are 22 MD-80s listed as "no current operator" One (ex-N933AS, an MD-83) is listed as "Stored at Bucharest (BBU) / to be scrapped"

Interesting, there are 9 ex-AS MD-80s operated by Ryan International on behalf of JPATS, the Dept of Justice's Prison Shuttle.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:07 am
Original Poster

It was at BBU. Definitely looked like it was being scavenged for parts...
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; HH Diamond; all the rest
Originally Posted by 98103
Interesting, there are 9 ex-AS MD-80s operated by Ryan International on behalf of JPATS, the Dept of Justice's Prison Shuttle.
ConAir!

Do you think an MD80 can get in and out of FLV...

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KFLV

...or do the BOP's guests get routed through MCI?

Here's Florence, Colorado's airport:
http://www.airnav.com/airport/1V6
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by DCA-SEA
ConAir!

Do you think an MD80 can get in and out of FLV...

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KFLV

...or do the BOP's guests get routed through MCI?

Here's Florence, Colorado's airport:
http://www.airnav.com/airport/1V6
I dunno about that, but I see those bad boys all the time at BFI.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:44 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by 98103
Was the plane you saw at OTP or was it at the smaller, BBU airport in Bucharest?

According to the data on CH-Aviation, there are 22 MD-80s listed as "no current operator" One (ex-N933AS, an MD-83) is listed as "Stored at Bucharest (BBU) / to be scrapped"

Ryan International does a lot of secret flights and transport of some interesting prisoners around the world. There was a good article about this from a few years ago. The black flights do not exist....nor do they like to answer to radio calls.

Originally Posted by dabears1020
They will ... within 5-10 years. It depends a lot on when things actually recover though.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by beckoa
Yeah... but then AS looses the efficiency of having an all 737 fleet. Perhaps if this newer A/C used 4 737NG engines to keep some parts the same
737-900ER ??
Old Mar 18, 2010, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by BW Flyer
737-900ER ??
Not enough legs IMO

I want ANC-HND
Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Not enough legs IMO

I want ANC-HND
The 700LR could do that.
Old May 5, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Spotted this plane yesterday afternoon at BBU en route to OTP. Half of the Eskimo's face is gone, but N933AS is still visible. Vegetation has grown around it. Sadly, I took no clear photos.

Anyone know the backstory behind this? Seems like a somewhat interesting story...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.