Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Predictions thread for 2010

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by United757
This didn't deserve its own thread but wth...hellloooo MVPG75K!

Slow day @ School?

Too much fun with Photoshop... still waiting for the MVP Unubtainium
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Chugach
Unfortunately, SEA is a BIGGER hub!

That said, when Mexico demand dropped off, I think that was the primary reason that LAX-ANC was dropped in the winter. AS has flown this route in the winter months before and from what I heard it was mostly Mexico connections. With the new, nonstop service between ANC and Hawaii pleasing us Alaskan sunseekers, I'd be surprised if LAX-ANC returns in the winter anytime soon, outside of maybe the holiday rush.
When was ANC-LAX run in the winter
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:40 pm

LOL no school - the seniors were presenting their culminating projects and well...no skool for me to get smrt.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL GM, DL SkyClub
Even though I've already replied, what I wouldn't give to see AS do the following....

SEA-DTW!!!

Come on AS, now that DL doesn't codeshare on but one or two of the 55 million AS/QX flights GEG-SEA, I can no longer connect to the redeye to DTW thru SEA. I need that ability, and neither DL nor AS allow it anymore (after 1/31)
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Meteorologist
Even though I've already replied, what I wouldn't give to see AS do the following....

SEA-DTW!!!

Come on AS, now that DL doesn't codeshare on but one or two of the 55 million AS/QX flights GEG-SEA, I can no longer connect to the redeye to DTW thru SEA. I need that ability, and neither DL nor AS allow it anymore (after 1/31)
So you really would like GEG-DTW ?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
So you really would like GEG-DTW ?
Well, of course, especially if AS operated it!
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:21 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue

SEA-DTW!!!

DL yanked away a lot of the NW codeshares. I once again question the partnership DL made with AS. Pretty much all the codeshares between ANC/SEA are gone too. DL now makes you go through SLC or MSP even if it takes you 15 hours longer to get where you are going than going through seattle. Well that could be a bit of an exaggeration of time but Id pay $50 to $100 more on some non partner airline if the times work better for me rather than pay a little less and waste 7 extra hours bouncing around the map just because DL wants you soley on their beloved junk. I guess it depends what ones time is worth to them. For me spending unneccesary hours doing connections is a waste of my time(unless I can squeeze one in between PDX-SEA or something where I still arrive where Im going at the same time). Not to mention every added connection increases the odds to screw up the entire intinerary with just one delay or cancelation(besides having AA or DL in an itinerary usually isnt a question of will they delay but how long will the delay be...especially AA)

Last edited by ANC; Jan 21, 2010 at 10:31 pm
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
When was ANC-LAX run in the winter
As late as 2005, if my memory is correct.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by United757
LOL no school - the seniors were presenting their culminating projects and well...no skool for me to get smrt.
It's that time on the calender, isn't it?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach
As late as 2005, if my memory is correct.
I was not as engrossed with AS back then, are you sure it wasn't just a seasonal flight that ended in September?
Old Jan 22, 2010, 1:05 am
ANC

Originally Posted by ANC
DL yanked away a lot of the NW codeshares. I once again question the partnership DL made with AS. Pretty much all the codeshares between ANC/SEA are gone too. DL now makes you go through SLC or MSP even if it takes you 15 hours longer to get where you are going than going through seattle. Well that could be a bit of an exaggeration of time but Id pay $50 to $100 more on some non partner airline if the times work better for me rather than pay a little less and waste 7 extra hours bouncing around the map just because DL wants you soley on their beloved junk. I guess it depends what ones time is worth to them. For me spending unneccesary hours doing connections is a waste of my time(unless I can squeeze one in between PDX-SEA or something where I still arrive where Im going at the same time). Not to mention every added connection increases the odds to screw up the entire intinerary with just one delay or cancelation(besides having AA or DL in an itinerary usually isnt a question of will they delay but how long will the delay be...especially AA)
this might all seem miniscule to some or not understand why its such a big deal. The reason it is, is because leaving Alaska to anywhere east of the rockies loses enough time as it is already. Without having the option to leave work early or leave after work on a thursday or whatever and fly out at 340pm 540pm or 730pm or 9pm or 1230am to connect in SEA to many former NW destinations as codeshares we are left with options to leave at 1am and arrive 6 or 8 hours later than we would arrive than if we had been able to leave at 7pm(the problem is we miss all the NW red eyes leaving seattle that head for DTW, MEM, and MSP) We can still do all this creative booking IF we book at each respective airline separately or in some instances can force it through on booking sites. As it is as of 1/31 getting to some places such as DTW in a timely manner is a real pain in the a$$. yeah sure NW flies to MSP...at 9am I view that the same as the AS 8am to ORD. Its a waste of a whole entire day(half the time its a sunday when youd rather be sitting at home but you have to leave sunday at 8 or 9 am to get to a Monday afternoon meeting). Leaving from ANC Id rather fly at night to maximize time

Last edited by ANC; Jan 22, 2010 at 1:24 am
Old Jan 22, 2010, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by ANC
this might all seem miniscule to some or not understand why its such a big deal. The reason it is, is because leaving Alaska to anywhere east of the rockies loses enough time as it is already. Without having the option to leave work early or leave after work on a thursday or whatever and fly out at 340pm 540pm or 730pm or 9pm or 1230am to connect in SEA to many former NW destinations as codeshares we are left with options to leave at 1am and arrive 6 or 8 hours later than we would arrive than if we had been able to leave at 7pm(the problem is we miss all the NW red eyes leaving seattle that head for DTW, MEM, and MSP) We can still do all this creative booking IF we book at each respective airline separately or in some instances can force it through on booking sites. As it is as of 1/31 getting to some places such as DTW in a timely manner is a real pain in the a$$. yeah sure NW flies to MSP...at 9am I view that the same as the AS 8am to ORD. Its a waste of a whole entire day(half the time its a sunday when youd rather be sitting at home but you have to leave sunday at 8 or 9 am to get to a Monday afternoon meeting). Leaving from ANC Id rather fly at night to maximize time
I totally understand what you're saying and agree 100%. I emailed both DL and AS about this and got the standard "we don't really care about what you think" responses from each about route analysis, etc. In short, AS encouraged me to hold off booking much until DL/NW are on the same platform and the new contract is finished between the two. I'm assuming that means some of the old NW codeshares (i.e. SEA-DTW) may come back? If not, AS can you hear me? SEA-DTW!!!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:14 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I was not as engrossed with AS back then, are you sure it wasn't just a seasonal flight that ended in September?
Yup!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:33 am
ANC

In short, AS encouraged me to hold off booking much until DL/NW are on the same platform and the new contract is finished between the two. I'm assuming that means some of the old NW codeshares (i.e. SEA-DTW) may come back? If not, AS can you hear me? SEA-DTW!!!
Hmm I suppose that could be part of the problem right now. I imagine that any contract for codeshares that AS had with NW are null and void as these flights become DL as opposed to NW X operated by DL. If thats the case(and hopefully some of them come back) its yet another of many poor planning decisions within their merger with NW
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:25 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
A tie-in with Icelandair is definitely something I'd like to see.

I really hope they do not dump AA, but I could see QX doing more Delta Connection work out of LAX after the move to Terminal 6.

The PAE service offered as a round-robin with BLI like the SJC-SMF service, continuing in this case to PDX.

Now for the fun:

Alaska Air Group buys out Kenmore Air and starts new floatplane service to CXH and the Willamette River in Portland from LKE and the Duwamish River. How exactly one can land on the Willamette River between the bridges in Downtown Portland is still to be worked out. For additions to the DHC Beaver and Otter fleet, the remaining CRJ-700 fleet will be modified with pontoons. New service to Coeur d'Alene, Lake Louise and Yellowstone National Park is now possible.

All QX aircraft get a paint-job representing an institute of higher learning. I am especially looking forward to the Seattle Central Community College on Capitol Hill and the Art Institute of Seattle, both on which smoking would be allowed by the irritated and misunderstood flight attendants, man.

HIO to PAE to YXX service marketed as the "I hate airports Shuttle".

I am also waiting for that long-promised AS Golden Nugget 747 service from ANC/SEA to LHR especially now since there is no US-flag carrier on the route.
Can we hear from anyone inside AS on the status of this new service?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.