Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SEA Ramp Lockout 2005 - The Final Arbitration Ruling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.

If you want to wade through the 86 page ruling, here it is: http://www.iam143.org/PDF%20files/Al...mp%20award.PDF The confidential financial information is redacted, but there are still some interesting items.

If you don't want to read through it all, it can be summed up with, "the union prevailed."

A remedy has not been awarded yet, but according to the union, should be forthcoming.

I love the company I work for, but it's breathtaking to see how disorganized they really were when they switched from the Union to Menzies.

Also, if you are nosy/bored, you can poke around the iam143.org website and find other interesting stuff including a copy of our labor contract and other tidbits...
Old Dec 29, 2009, 9:57 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
dude! where are you these days?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:30 pm

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by missydarlin
dude! where are you these days?
He got sent to ADAK for posting AS labor agreements.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:39 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
hmmm the bad part is it will hurt the consumers with higher fares and fees.

The good news is maybe we can get rid of Menzies pathetic service ^

Last edited by ANC; Dec 29, 2009 at 10:55 pm
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by ANC
hmmm the bad part is it will hurt the consumers with higher fares and fees.

Southwest uses only their own people above and below the wing. They manage quite nicely. I believe Frontier does as well - though I wouldn't hold them up as a shining example. I don't know what the remedy will be but I suspect that it will not involve returning the rampers to work. An arbitrator can consider whether there has been too much bad blood between the employee and the company and I have to believe that, in this case, that is definitely a true statement. My guess is that it will involve a monetary settlement that will probably not be a pleasant pill to swallow for Alaska.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:28 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Southwest uses only their own people above and below the wing. They manage quite nicely. I believe Frontier does as well - though I wouldn't hold them up as a shining example. I don't know what the remedy will be but I suspect that it will not involve returning the rampers to work. An arbitrator can consider whether there has been too much bad blood between the employee and the company and I have to believe that, in this case, that is definitely a true statement. My guess is that it will involve a monetary settlement that will probably not be a pleasant pill to swallow for Alaska.
yeah I'd agree thats why I have a by the maybe we can get rid of Menzies. While it may seem like a quick victory and fun for some, all that it will do is essentially screw the customers because AS will have to pay for it somehow and the money doesnt come from thin air...it comes from us.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Hooo-leeee crap! He lives! He breathes! He moves! He types!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ANC
Is the service really pathetic anymore?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:24 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by jackal
Hooo-leeee crap! He lives! He breathes! He moves! He types!
Don't get too excited. It may just be an Avatar
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Southwest uses only their own people above and below the wing. They manage quite nicely.
We, customers, remember what happened when AS tried to emulate WN's turn times a few years ago!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Originally Posted by formeraa
We, customers, remember what happened when AS tried to emulate WN's turn times a few years ago!
FWIW: IMHO, the biggest reason that AS ground crews can't meet WN turn around times is the amount of cargo/mail that we haul (especially in SEA and points North.)

edited to add: Interline transfer (both incoming and outgoing) of passenger baggage definitely adds time to a turn. Additionally, the -800 and -900 series aircraft operated by AS have more nuances associated with balancing them during on/off loading than do the shorter -300/-500/-700 aircraft operated by WN.

Last edited by eastwest; Dec 30, 2009 at 2:19 pm
Old Dec 30, 2009, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOB W
Don't get too excited. It may just be an Avatar
(LOL) I'm keeping a low profile these days, but yeah, it's really me.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by eastwest
(LOL) I'm keeping a low profile these days, but yeah, it's really me.
Stick around and say hi more often! If you're still in (or passing through) ANC, check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...up-thread.html for goings-on. We've got an event at Bob's tomorrow night--we'd love you to join if you can!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
I'm not talking about the "TANGO" process that Alaska implemented several years ago - I'm simply talking about Southwest employing their own ground handlers and ticket and gate agents.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:21 am
Suspended

I'm not talking about the "TANGO" process that Alaska implemented several years ago - I'm simply talking about Southwest employing their own ground handlers and ticket and gate agents.
This is a benefit of operating at least 10 flights a day at every station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.