Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Which Visa is better value - Alaska or Marriott?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2009, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, MR Plat Prem, HH Diamond

OK, here's the setup ... this year spent (OPM) about 17 grand on hotels (50% Marriott, 50% other), about 9 grand on airfares (Alaska/ Horizon) and about 4.5 grand on meals. Thinking about switching off the corporate Amex to a branded Visa for some if not all.

So, from your experience, which is likely to give me the best bang (in terms of what I can spend on the extra points) for the buck - the Alaska Visa or Marriott?

Posting on the other forum so bias is entirely expected and hedged sway ...
Old Dec 18, 2009, 5:14 pm

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I have both the AS and Marriott Visa. With the Marriott Visa you get double points for dining, car rentals, airfare and bonus points at Marriott. The downside is it takes a lot of Marriott points for a night but they add up quickly. I actually prefer to accrue points on my Starwood AMEX card because I actually use the points more than Alaska miles or Marriott points. Besides Costco takes the AMEX card and no other credit card.

The AS Visa is good for the companion fare and to accrue miles on Alaska but that's about it and finding a good redemption rate can be tough.

I hope this helps.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I swear by getting 1000 miles every time you purchase your ticket on an AS Visa, per person- even if it's the debit card. (My daughter is accruing a somewhat decent amount of miles herself by her dad buying her tickets, and linking HER AS MP account...)
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:27 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Duckouttahere
Besides Costco takes the AMEX card and no other credit card.
Thats why I have a DL card

And to the OP I guess it comes down to which card will be more useful and beneficial to you. For me a Marriot card would be useless because I use choice hotels, Westmark in Juneau, and HHonors because most Alaska locations dont have Marriott, but to somebody using Marriott as regulary as youve stated 17 grand then it might be better for you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.