Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Flight Security? We don't need no stinking Flight Security!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Security? We don't need no stinking Flight Security!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2006, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Delta
Angry Flight Security? We don't need no stinking Flight Security!

Flew Airtran from MSP - ATL Last night (Flight 853). Interesting approach on security for this (and probably other) flights last night when the Airtran computer systems went down.

First - The Checkin terminals weren't working, but no one bothered to put a sign on them or shut them down to let people know, so you got to stand there like an idiot, waiting for the kiosk to tell you that it couldn't check you in... and into the line you went.

Two people working at the counter, as you checked in you were given the Old Airtran (pre assigned seat) boarding passes (plastic, reusable with numbers, no names on it) and checked off a list. FIRST SECURITY PROBLEM: My ID was never checked against the list, I gave them my name, they gave me a plastic pass.

Off to Security line...

The TSA Agent, with no way to check if the boarding pass belongs to me checks my ID and sends me on my way through. SECOND SECURITY PROBLEM: I could have handed this pass to anyone and given them access to the terminal.. or sent it out with someone else and then get as many people into the 'secure' area as I wanted. (the old, buy 1 club seat ticket and sneak your friends in ploy).

Get to the gate, (after grabbing dinner and relaxing in the NW Worldclub) and the computers were back up, so I stand in another line to trade my plastic boarding pass for a real one. Get to the front of the line and the GA asks me my last name and gives me my boarding pass THIRD SECURITY PROBLEM: The GA didn't ask for ID. So far the only people who asked me for ID was the TSA Agent at the security line.

So because Airtran dosen't have a decent backup system for thier computers they put the MSP Airport security in jepaordy, and my (and other) airtran flights in jepaordy.

Hell of a way to run an airline post 9/11.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 2:05 pm

Programs: US CP (Founding Member)
Did it really matter who you were? I mean, didn't you still have to go through security?
Old Apr 21, 2006, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
And the TSA verified who you were by checking your ID. Granted you could have gotten someone else on that flight but is that a true security risk??

I still agree that is a poor backup system though. Its 2006.....there should be a better backup system in place.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:21 pm

If it doesn't matter then why have the watch list, black list and all these coded named programs for watching who flies. I see the posters point. If they are going to close down airports because an unidentified traveler traveler gets through security without saying mother may I then why the lack of concern over hundreds of travelers getting through without being checked aigainst the bad guy list.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 1:39 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Sounds like the poster of this needs to work for the TSA..She would be happier.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 5:59 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
I don't know the details of what happened--one city or many--there have been no other posts about a failure at the kiosks/checkin at other cities. But on one of the points raised here: as someone who is on the TSA watch list, I can assure you that AirTran knows you are on the list long before you go to the airport. You are blocked from web check-in and at the kiosks; everything locks up and only a counter agent with an extra TSA credential can clear you.

It seems completely reasonable that a paper or other backup system was in effect, and we just don't know that much about it because it rarely happens.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Delta
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
Sounds like the poster of this needs to work for the TSA..She would be happier.
He.. thank you.

And my point was that we have to go through the BS of getting ID checked 2 (if not 3) times because of "Flight security" on a regular basis, yet Airtran's computers go down and they throw that out the window.

Some level of consistancy would be a good thing here.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 7:53 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
*delurking for a moment*

I recently flew from ATL to BMI on AirTran with no photo ID whatsoever. I'd lost my Driver's Licence on my trip, but had researched at the TSA website and found that you actually aren't required to show photo ID. Yes they ask for it but you aren't required to produce it. I got home with just the email print out of my flight confirmation.
Old May 1, 2006, 12:45 am

TSA screened your carry-ons and you went through the metal detector. That's enough security.
Old May 2, 2006, 10:06 am

Programs: NWA, United
In addition, as long as the norm is to check for photo ID, it doesn't pose that big of security risk the few times that the computer goes down. Kinda like how they only frisk random people going through security is enough deterrence against bad guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.