Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

More awesomeness out of ATL thanks to Southwest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More awesomeness out of ATL thanks to Southwest

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:51 pm

[QUOTE=LegalTender;23583259]Somehow doubt they're down 120 flights a day "since the beginning of the year."[QUOTE]

That's fair. but I don't think it makes that much difference in the analysis.

Maybe the last three years.
The de-hubbing officially started in November of 2013, cancellation of smaller station started earlier. But three years seems too long a time frame for major cutbacks. This year for example Southwest has almost inexplicably cancelled international routes formerly flown by Airtran out of Atlanta.

Southwest is expected to abandon Concourse D next year.
I hadn't hear that. But I've been expecting it as Southwest has been scheduling more and more Airtan flights through D. ( I hate that concourse.) It's the cheaped out Atlanta concourse) small, crowded and with insufficient seating or food service.

The good news is fewer Southwest gates will allow the possibility other airlines will take those gates.

According to Atlanta media Southwest's cutbacks have already caused the Atlanta Airport to cut back on planned modernizations.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
According to Atlanta media Southwest's cutbacks have already caused the Atlanta Airport to cut back on planned modernizations.
D Concourse was recently upgraded. Services and amenities, doubled lobby size and long-overdue architectural refits. The gate corridor is still comparatively squeezed, but noticeably less claustrophobic.

Hartsfield's master plan update was, indeed, delayed as planners scaled back traffic forecasts because of AirTran's hub dismantling. But demand for more gates and concourses was deemed robust enough for said plan to be publicly announced at a late-August ceremony.

http://www.aviationpros.com/news/116...cks-6th-runway

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.