Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Gary Kelly: No Current Airline Like AirTran

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gary Kelly: No Current Airline Like AirTran

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by seacarl
I'm surprised that UA has a full cent cost disadvantage to DL. That's huge.
UA/CO numbers for 2013 should be lower. Mergers take time.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:10 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by traveller001
Good data.. I assume if/when WN enables red-eyes at least between long haul crew bases that will drop the CASM by a bunch.
The number of red-eyes would be a small percentage of the airlines' schedule and would have a minimal impact on their overall CASM, but there would likely be some benefit.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
The number of red-eyes would be a small percentage of the airlines' schedule and would have a minimal impact on their overall CASM, but there would likely be some benefit.
I've seen the result of West Coast red-eyes and connections they provide it's not small. But most importantly they recoup up to two hours of lost flying time per aircraft every single day.

And they're actually pretty much favored by Customers flying East.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:51 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I've seen the result of West Coast red-eyes and connections they provide it's not small.
I have no idea what you mean by this.
But most importantly they recoup up to two hours of lost flying time per aircraft every single day.
About half of Southwest's aircraft would have to be used on red-eyes to recoup two hours of lost flying time per aircraft every single day. I would not expect more than a few dozen red-eye flights at the most. 30 red-eyes a day would be about 5% of their fleet, an average flight length of 5 hours that would give you 15 minutes per day of additional aircraft utilization on average, not anywhere near two hours.
And they're actually pretty much favored by Customers flying East.
I don't believe this is true, some customers use them because they need to, but I really don't believe the are favored for domestic travel, if they were, airlines that already offer them would offer more of them and/or charge a premium for them.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:05 pm

I don't believe this is true, some customers use them because they need to, but I really don't believe the are favored for domestic travel, if they were, airlines that already offer them would offer more of them and/or charge a premium for them.
Most of the people flying red eyes are on half of a round trip. Many of those people may not have bought the other half if they had to sacrifice another day. They deserve some consideration. The Airline by using that aircraft on another flight gets additional incremental revenue over the fixed cost of the aircraft. Its a win win.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by PA42
I need to write a book about this acquisition.
Sounds like the supply of Kool-Aid at HQ is drying up
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:10 pm

Each aircraft flying a red-eye East can recoup lost time due to time zones up to 2 hours.

There are lots of Customers that can finish their work day, relax have dinner with the family or business partners then go to the airport and arrive anywhere on the East Coast even with a connection by 10AM.

This hasn't been a Southwest thing but other airlines including Airtran exploited it.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Most of the people flying red eyes are on half of a round trip. Many of those people may not have bought the other half if they had to sacrifice another day. They deserve some consideration. The Airline by using that aircraft on another flight gets additional incremental revenue over the fixed cost of the aircraft. Its a win win.
Exactly... and if the routing of aircraft and crew is an out and back from a crew base... I know there are crews that would fly that several days in a row rather than being at outstations more nights than at home.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:39 pm

About half of Southwest's aircraft would have to be used on red-eyes to recoup two hours of lost flying time per aircraft every single day.
I don't know how/why you muddled the whole airline in this. One LAX-BWI red-eye would put that aircraft in the air more than 4 hours than it does now. That's huge money for use normal people... If I had $40-60M in a bank earning nothing half the day I'd be screaming! At least recouping 4 hours is something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.