Search

Seat Assignments

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH, NWA
Seat Assignments

Hey Everyone,

Our first time flying AirTran will be in a few weeks. Question on seat assignments: we haven't paid for them yet (looks like 10.00/segment). There are three of us so I assume it would be 120.00 total round trip(DTW-ATL-RSW). If we didn't book seats, what do you think the odds are that at least two of us would end up sitting next to each other? Our daughter is 15 so not a big deal if we're all seperated, but it would be nice if at least two of the seats were together. thanks for any comments!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by bou hunter
Hey Everyone,

Our first time flying AirTran will be in a few weeks. Question on seat assignments: we haven't paid for them yet (looks like 10.00/segment). There are three of us so I assume it would be 120.00 total round trip(DTW-ATL-RSW). If we didn't book seats, what do you think the odds are that at least two of us would end up sitting next to each other? Our daughter is 15 so not a big deal if we're all separated, but it would be nice if at least two of the seats were together. thanks for any comments!
You can check to see what seats are available on the Airtran website. Under Reservations select your dates and cities then click on the little seat icon for your flights. That shows you what seats have already been assigned, but not how many seats have been sold.

Generally I would say that if you check in right at T-24 you should be able to get seats together, although they might be toward the back of the plane. Many people check in right away but many seem to wait quite a while.

I think the seat fees are not per-segment but per trip so the total should only be $60, but I'm Elite and don't pay them so you should check that with Airtran to be sure I'm right.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 6:25 pm
Suspended

"In a few weeks" is peak holiday season. I doubt you will get seats together.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I think the seat fees are not per-segment but per trip so the total should only be $60, but I'm Elite and don't pay them so you should check that with Airtran to be sure I'm right.
Correct... seat fees are not per leg but per trip.

$60 would be the total cost for three RT (non-premium seats).

Given the heavy travel period IMO that would be sixty dollars well spent.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH, NWA
Thanks for the replies!

I agree, sounds like a good idea to spend 60.00 to lock in our seats. Just might do that tonight.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:46 pm

Although I have no dog in this fight, I still beleive based on my observations that a group of three can get seats together on Airtran, if they check in promtly at T-24.

I just checked the 10:05 Flight tommorow and found plenty of seats availble allowing a party of 3 to sit togeather. That is well inside T-24.

I am willing to admit that availibility is more restricted during the holiday season however the OP's time frame many not have included peak travel days.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
One nice thing about Airtran was the ability to purchase those seats anytime after booking but still prior to T-24.

I suppose a penny-wise person might gamble and check shortly before T-48 and make a judgement prior to check-in.

The game though is changing with bookings on Southwest. Some likely see advance seat assignment for $10 preferable to the $12.50 EBCI which would auto assign seats.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by traveller001
One nice thing about Airtran was the ability to purchase those seats anytime after booking but still prior to T-24.

I suppose a penny-wise person might gamble and check shortly before T-48 and make a judgement prior to check-in.

The game though is changing with bookings on Southwest. Some likely see advance seat assignment for $10 preferable to the $12.50 EBCI which would auto assign seats.
"Penny Wise" implies "Pound Foolish". I'm not sure that is the case. If someone booked a WGA fare at $49 then the seat slection fee represents a 20% remium over eh cost of transprotation.

I have been monitoriung my flights for some time and generally see a lot of unassignied seats from T-24 until nearly flight time.

Anone willing to do so can do the same. If it looks like seat assignments are becoming scarce they can opt to spend the money to slect seats or they can tale a chance.

I freely admit I have no interest in this because I am able to select seats when I book a flight because I am A-List/Airtran Elite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.