Calling AirTran to use business vouchers

Old Sep 3, 13, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Calling AirTran to use business vouchers

So I have a flight out on award tickets on Thursday and I can call at midnight tonight to try to use them ( bonus for getting their Credit Card)

I see lots of seats available on the first leg of the trip from BUF to ATL but only 2 available from ATL to SFO.

2 questions?

Has anyone called before midnight to get their upgrade ? Say 11:50pm? to beat out the crowd?

Are the business upgrade vouchers for both legs of the trip or only one?

thanks for any other advice.
Old Sep 3, 13, 6:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Some agents are ok with beating the crowd, others aren't. It's been difficult lately to get through sometimes on the phone. Just be sure to call the A+ Rewards line.

Each voucher is good for all legs of a one-way flight.
Old Sep 4, 13, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Well I called the A+ phone number listed on the voucher and I got a recording telling me office hours are from 7am to 12 am and I was calling at 11:58 pm

Finally after getting through the reservations number I was able to get 3 out of the 4 F class seats and then got moved up to the second row in coach .
Old Sep 4, 13, 7:45 am

Keep Checking - right up to departure. Put the seat map for the missing flight on your phone or computer or whatever and check it often. Many people who purchase F Seats often reschedule at the last minute.

Twice in the last week I've gotten free upgrades when the seat maps previously showed all seats taken, once just minutes before I got my seat.

On a recent trip on another airline I was unable to get seats together with my wife, until I was sitting in the gate for my departure. I changed the seats sitting in the terminal.
Old Sep 4, 13, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
Keep Checking - right up to departure. Put the seat map for the missing flight on your phone or computer or whatever and check it often. Many people who purchase F Seats often reschedule at the last minute.

Twice in the last week I've gotten free upgrades when the seat maps previously showed all seats taken, once just minutes before I got my seat.

On a recent trip on another airline I was unable to get seats together with my wife, until I was sitting in the gate for my departure. I changed the seats sitting in the terminal.
ok.. well I checked this morning and there are no business seats available for sale but the seat map still shows one seat open , I was told by the agent that just means the person has not selected a seat ( really?) I usually select a seat right after booking.
I don't have an iphone but I will check as often as I can and once we get to the airport. thanks.
Old Sep 4, 13, 10:10 am

Programs: WN A-List, Hertz 5*, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by duranza View Post
ok.. well I checked this morning and there are no business seats available for sale but the seat map still shows one seat open , I was told by the agent that just means the person has not selected a seat ( really?) I usually select a seat right after booking.
I don't have an iphone but I will check as often as I can and once we get to the airport. thanks.
If the flight is available for sale at WN as a code share, a BS booking entitles the customer to a seat in BC on FL. However, that BC seat is assigned at time of check-in, so it won"t show usually until T-24.
Old Sep 4, 13, 10:19 am

One other thing about using vouchers. I don't believe the GA can book them. I think you have to call the 800 number to use them.
Old Sep 4, 13, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
One other thing about using vouchers. I don't believe the GA can book them. I think you have to call the 800 number to use them.
I have done that.. I was able to get 3 out of 4 BC seats, just one leg of the trip I am sitting in coach and husband in bus.
Old Sep 4, 13, 2:40 pm

I meant if you get right down to the wire. I don't think you will be able to walk up to the desk and get a seat. You will still need to call the 800 number from the airport.

He makes you ride in the back?
Old Sep 4, 13, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Lol no, I. Made the choice of him being up front, he has a bum hip and uses a cane
Old Sep 5, 13, 2:56 pm

Programs: Southwest A List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Emerald Exec.
Originally Posted by duranza View Post
Well I called the A+ phone number listed on the voucher and I got a recording telling me office hours are from 7am to 12 am and I was calling at 11:58 pm
I had the same thing happen last week. Apparently their hours are reduced now, I think 8 am to 9 pm ET, but they haven't updated the after hours recording yet. Frustrating.
Old Sep 6, 13, 7:12 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by mke9499 View Post
If the flight is available for sale at WN as a code share, a BS booking entitles the customer to a seat in BC on FL. However, that BC seat is assigned at time of check-in, so it won"t show usually until T-24.
A BC fare purchased through a third party TA also normally doesn't get a seat assignment at booking. Either the Agent or Customer could log in to Airtran.com with the PNR and choose seats after booking. Some don't.

Search this Thread