AirTran Canceled My Flight

Old Jul 22, 13, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LFFRS BOD
AirTran Canceled My Flight

I had booked 2 award seats from BUF to SFO for Sept 5th months ago and today I received an "urgent" Immediate Action Requested email stating that my flight had been significantly changed and impacted my itinerary.

I called right away and was on hold with the repeated recording next agent will be available for a good 35 minutes.

So they totally changed and canceled a 6:15 am flight through Atlanta arriving in SF at 12:35 pm to the NEXT day flight leaving in the afternoon and arriving after 11 pm.

After speaking to the customer agent for what seemed forever she finally got the same time flight an earlier day even though the award seats were not available. ( maybe after asking for the supervisor she was able to do so)

So that set off a domino effect on my hotel reservation needed the night before out of Buffalo and luckily I got an agent from booking.com that was able to honor the same offer for the day before even though it wasn't showing up on the hotel's system.
And I was fortunate that my husband's HH account had enough points to get us another hotel night although not the same one but close enough to the other hotel for 3 nights I had already booked.

So I am still nervous that they might pull this new flight in the coming weeks.
Old Jul 22, 13, 8:35 pm

Programs: I fly for free.
Rest assured that your new flight wont be pulled unless its the day of for irregular operations.
Old Jul 22, 13, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy

Originally Posted by PA42 View Post
Rest assured that your new flight wont be pulled unless its the day of for irregular operations.
That is exactly what I am afraid of.. with no recourse to cancel any of the hotels without a refund of points or money if it's within 24 hours.
Old Jul 22, 13, 8:49 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
They did the same thing to me TWICE
Old Jul 22, 13, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is nothing you can do about what the WX might be months from now. So, stop worrying.

If something does go wrong, call the property directly. Most will extend the stay or somesuch.
Old Jul 23, 13, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slickvik View Post
They did the same thing to me TWICE
ugh.. how did it turn out? and how close to your trip date did it happen?
Old Jul 23, 13, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
There is nothing you can do about what the WX might be months from now. So, stop worrying.

If something does go wrong, call the property directly. Most will extend the stay or somesuch.
Trip is in 6 weeks other hotels have been booked, itinerary and tours are set.. not much wiggle room.
Old Jul 23, 13, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by duranza View Post
Trip is in 6 weeks other hotels have been booked, itinerary and tours are set.. not much wiggle room.
This is pretty much going to be true of any trip, anywhere. I'm sure thousands of people misconnected on today's storms just like thousands did in yesterday's, etc etc.
Old Jul 24, 13, 7:44 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
ugh.. how did it turn out? and how close to your trip date did it happen?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtr...teen-days.html

April 25 my flight July 8 from BDA-HOU was moved to July 21, so I changed my itinerary to August 8-11. Then May 28 they moved my August 11 flight to some other day in the future, so then I moved it to July 18-21. After that no changes. Just be prepared though. I would advise to make hotel bookings directly with the hotel to avoid any hassle.
Old Aug 3, 13, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
That is exactly what I am afraid of.. with no recourse to cancel any of the hotels without a refund of points or money if it's within 24 hours.
That's always a risk taken when hotels are booked such ways. You save money but there is a risk associated with getting those better rates or free. Just make sure you have a credit card with you if some unexpected expense happens.
Old Aug 4, 13, 8:27 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
+1 and on this the OP can relax.
Old Sep 3, 13, 10:43 am
Original Poster

I just checked the flights to SFO from BUF and they re-instated the flight I had originally booked for.
Not complaining I am kind of glad since I got an extra day to explore SF and now just waiting till midnight to call in for the business vouchers from the AirTran cc.
Old Sep 7, 13, 12:31 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Silver, JetBlue Mosaic, SPG Plat
Not the same issue as OP, but a similar one. I am booked to travel BOS-SFO via ATL. (BizClass award.) There is a 30-min. connection at ATL which I'm informed is a legal connect time. The problem is the reliability of the BOS-ATL flight: 44 cancelled; of those that fly, 74% are late. Sounds like a recipe for a missed connection.

I called Elite Line to see about getting my BOS-ATL segment moved to an earlier flight, given the sustained poor on-time performance and the tight connection. I was told that getting a flight a few hours earlier would not be possible because it doesn't show as a "connecting flight" to ATL-SFO. I said I just wanted to be in ATL even if I had to hang around longer at that airport, rather than miss the evening connection. Elite Line phone rep (are these now WX employees rather than FL?) had best sugesstion that I spend an additional 16 credits and buy an available BOS-ATL seat that day on the earlier flight. Didn't strike me as helpful or reaonable, and certainly not any reasonable accommodation for an Elite pax with a more-likely-than-not chance of misconnecting.

Suggestions? I may try the call-again-and-get-another-rep on Monday, but don't know if any better ones out there. Thanks.
Old Sep 7, 13, 3:33 pm

1). Is there a connection to SFO for the earlier flight? If so then rebook the whole flight, then you have a backup if that flight is late and connection is missed.

2). Try to go standby on the earlier flight out of BOS. If you call before you head to the airport you can get an idea of how possible that is. The CSRs are not supposed to tell you how many seats are available (more or less than 9 is the official answer) but will often be more helpful, if you talk to them.

Search this Thread