Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Help! Confused about using Southwest rapid reward points for Airtran flights

Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:26 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Hello

Just got off the phone w/ customer service reps at Air Tran and also Southwest, and I'm still confused. My questions (I thought) were pretty straight forward:

1) I have tons of Ultimate rewards points, which can be converted to Southwest rapid rewards.

2) I want to fly BWI to Aruba in Feb 2014. This is an Air Tran flight.

3) Can I use rapid rewards to get this ticket, either directly or by converting the rapid rewards to Air Tran credits?

Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by manish
Hello

Just got off the phone w/ customer service reps at Air Tran and also Southwest, and I'm still confused. My questions (I thought) were pretty straight forward:

1) I have tons of Ultimate rewards points, which can be converted to Southwest rapid rewards.

2) I want to fly BWI to Aruba in Feb 2014. This is an Air Tran flight.

3) Can I use rapid rewards to get this ticket, either directly or by converting the rapid rewards to Air Tran credits?

Thanks
Currently, you canNOT book the flight directly using WN RR points or a Standard Award. Currently, all international itineraries must be booked through FL channels. If the flight is available for award booking through FL channels, then you should be able to convert WN RR points (that you may have transferred from UR earlier) to FL credits and book the international itinerary.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:41 pm

Location: Atlanta, GA - AirTran Elite #1 FF * Delta Diamond Medallion * Starwood Platinum * PriorityClub Gold * Hilton Diamond
Actually, you CAN use your Ultimate Rewards points to AirTran.

(1) Transfer your Ultimate Rewards points to Southwest here http://rewardsfarther.com/rapid_rewards_to_a_plus/

(2) 1,200 Southwest points = 1 AirTran credit. That means 16,000 Ultimate Rewards Points = 1 AirTran roundtrip in coach. 32,000 Ultimate Rewards Points = 1 AirTran roundtrip in business class

(3) Book your AirTran flight using your free ticket. You can also check AirTran on-line for availability BEFORE you take steps one and two above.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer
Actually, you CAN use your Ultimate Rewards points to AirTran.
^ Well said (and we agree...OP first asked about booking through WN "directly" which canNOT be done...but, "indirectly," it will work if the flights available as an FL award)

Originally Posted by FindAWay
If the flight is available for award booking through FL channels, then you should be able to convert WN RR points (that you may have transferred from UR earlier) to FL credits and book the international itinerary.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 9:09 am

A Little Math

JoeFlyer

You are correct about the process but your numbers are a little off at:
1200 points/credit x 8 Credits = 9600 Points for a 1 way Flight
19200 for a round trip.

I have used the transfer in both directions and it works almost instantly although you sometimes need to log out of you account and back in to see the new credits.

Also once you have credits you cannot change them back to points but you can move them between programs.

One important point if you can book the flight through Southwest you can cancel and get your points back. On Airtran you pay a change fee.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:27 pm

Sorry for hijacking this tread but I too have a question about conversion. I had 3.25 A+ that I transferred to Southwest. I swear the last time I did this that when the conversion was done the A+ turned into RR points. When I did this transfer from A+ to RR the A+ stayed as credits and they are of no use to me until I transfer a total of 16 A+ over. This doesn't sound right to be. Am I just wrong?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by maciec
Sorry for hijacking this tread but I too have a question about conversion. I had 3.25 A+ that I transferred to Southwest. I swear the last time I did this that when the conversion was done the A+ turned into RR points. When I did this transfer from A+ to RR the A+ stayed as credits and they are of no use to me until I transfer a total of 16 A+ over. This doesn't sound right to be. Am I just wrong?
Quite simply, yes. A+ credits are converted into a standard award when your RR account has the equivalent of 16 A+ credits, which can then be used for either a one-way (keeping the other half for another one-way in the future), or for two one-ways (roundtrip).

You still have the option of converting back to A+ credits, if you like.

http://www.southwest.com/html/promot...r-convert.html
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:25 pm

Sorry for hijacking this tread but I too have a question about conversion. I had 3.25 A+ that I transferred to Southwest. I swear the last time I did this that when the conversion was done the A+ turned into RR points.
I have never seen credits turn into RR points. I don't think it is possible.

When I did this transfer from A+ to RR the A+ stayed as credits and they are of no use to me until I transfer a total of 16 A+ over. This doesn't sound right to be. Am I just wrong?
You are not wrong. It is not a BUG it's a FEATURE
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
See this page
http://www.rewardsfarther.com/program-updates/
The diagram is pretty clear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.