Wiki Posts
Search

Questions regarding AirTran seating?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2013, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Questions regarding AirTran seating?

I don't normally travel AirTran so this is my first time in the boards over here... please be gentle.

If I don't pay to reserve a seat in at booking am I able to select a seat at check-in or are they simply assigned without options?

At check-in, can I opt to pay for a premium seat at that time or can that only be done in advance as a separate transaction?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by jb008
I don't normally travel AirTran so this is my first time in the boards over here... please be gentle.

If I don't pay to reserve a seat in at booking am I able to select a seat at check-in or are they simply assigned without options?

At check-in, can I opt to pay for a premium seat at that time or can that only be done in advance as a separate transaction?

Thanks in advance!
You probably know you have a choice of WN or FL site for booking.

When you book and purchase on AirTran's site, you don't need to pay to pick a seat. Aisles and windows disappear early, of course. No need to pay for premium Y seats at the gate - you can do it online. Unsold or unclaimed business class seats (upgrades) can be purchased at the gate.

Using Southwest's site, AirTran seat assignment occurs at the gate. I don't believe the seat purchase options mentioned above are available. Apologies if that has changed.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:04 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)

Thanks in advance!
Yes and yes... Seat assignment at T-24 check in is free with only exclusions are exit row and BC but even t-24 BC upgrade at reasonable cost considering BC gets 2 bags checked for free.

If you would pay for an assigned seat say $20 for exit row and at check-in a BC upgrade would be available that previous fee would be credited toward the UG and still get you the two free bags BC gets.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:21 am
Original Poster

I didn't know I could book via either SW or FLs sites.

Thanks for the info! For some reason I'm seeing a $6 fee to select Y seats towards the back of the plane, while the priority seating is $13-15 and comes with earlier boarding zone assignment.

I guess I'll give this a real-world try this afternoon when I check in
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:45 am

I didn't know I could book via either SW or FLs sites.

Thanks for the info! For some reason I'm seeing a $6 fee to select Y seats towards the back of the plane, while the priority seating is $13-15 and comes with earlier boarding zone assignment.

I guess I'll give this a real-world try this afternoon when I check in
Y, B or M fare class seat selections are complimentary, other than premium rows. Lowest fare requires $6 fee.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

I ended up chickening out and just paid for a business class upgrade.

Trip went fine - I got there on time and my luggage (which was all carried on) made it too. No complaints, and my fare w/upgrade came to less than the next cheapest option and that would have required a layover.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 4:07 pm

Smart move!

Travels should have no travails.

Cheers.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Using Southwest's site, AirTran seat assignment occurs at the gate. I don't believe the seat purchase options mentioned above are available. Apologies if that has changed.
Actually, seat assignment occurs at time of checkin, and you can use OLCI starting at T-24. The system will currently assign you a seat and if you want to change it, you can do so at the airport counter or at the gate.

On my last two WN marketed, FL operated flights, I was able to be moved to the exit row at the counter for no charge.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by iTanNicNic
Actually, seat assignment occurs at time of checkin, and you can use OLCI starting at T-24. The system will currently assign you a seat and if you want to change it, you can do so at the airport counter or at the gate.

On my last two WN marketed, FL operated flights, I was able to be moved to the exit row at the counter for no charge.
Totally impressed!

Thanks for correcting my wrong info.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Totally impressed!

Thanks for correcting my wrong info.
Impressive will be when I can do this myself and not have to go to the airport early and wait at the counter to do it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.