Why has PHL become so expensive?

Old Jan 4, 13, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
Why has PHL become so expensive?

ATL-PHL has become an expensive route regardless of the date and time. Every single flight has been priced at a flat 162 bucks if you are at least a week away. I went looking in February and same deal.

Luckily, I am in FL for work next week and my ticket from PBI to PHL via one stop in ATL is actually cheaper at 114. That's because the other airlines are priced in the low 100s from PBI-PHL.

What I am wondering is why all the airlines are so expensive to PHL even in the lower traffic days. And Airtran's pricing seems very static for the next month. Friday evening tickets cost as much as Saturday tickets in any given week. You would think Friday , Sunday, and Mnday tickets would be more than the other days.
Old Jan 7, 13, 5:26 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Sure wish I knew, saneman. I love to go to Atlantic City, but until the Spirit nonstop starts up again in late April, my only option is PHL and it's been brutal lately. I haven't gone since early November -- normally would go every six weeks - and have no plans on the horizon because airfare is so ridiculous.

I'd be curious to know from our well-informed posters if it isn't a profitable route for FL or the opposite - that there isn't much competition there out of ATL, so FL can spike prices.
Old Jan 7, 13, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

I think Airtran used to set the prices in these markets. NOw Airtran seems content to matching or slightly beating Delta's prices ot markets like Philly. The flat rate of 162 is baffling regardless of the day of the week. ANd I think that is more puzzling - the flat rate more than the high price.
Old Jan 7, 13, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why would they cut the price when people are willing to pay it?
Old Jan 8, 13, 11:39 am
Original Poster

So you think the demand for a Wed morning ticket is the same as a Monday morning or Friday evening? When I did my searches, the prices were the same on eveyr single day of the week. Now if the Firday tickets cost 250 and the Sat cost 162, I would understand.
Old Jan 8, 13, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by saneman View Post
I think Airtran used to set the prices in these markets. NOw Airtran seems content to matching or slightly beating Delta's prices ot markets like Philly. The flat rate of 162 is baffling regardless of the day of the week. ANd I think that is more puzzling - the flat rate more than the high price.
Baffling, as in ATL-BOS is $30 cheaper.

ATL-MCI costs the same as ATL-LAX in the new normal.

I'd like to say this never happened before the merger, but other factors (explained elsewhere) may trump.
Old Jan 8, 13, 7:05 pm

You might expect FL defections into PHL with this announcement today.

Maybe some fare relief, at least.

Frontier Airlines
Old Jan 14, 13, 9:22 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Just checked again and...still holding strong at $160! But count me among those who will NOT pay it. I'll just forgo a trip to A.C. and spend my money elsewhere...like Vegas, a cross-country trip that costs at least $100 less.
Old Jan 21, 13, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Since my sister lives south of Philly, I ended up taking the flight back from Baltimore to Atlanta for 82 bucks. And on the way to Philly, since my company paid for my flight home, i decided to fly from PBI-PHL instead of PBI-ATL and it cost only 114.

For my mother, I just used my credits to buy a roundtrip to Philly instead of paying the ridiculous 324.

I know of some who just bought tickets from PHL to FLL and just skipped the second segment and they got the cheaper price. Since they were not checking in bags, it was not a big deal to them.

Search this Thread