Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest to Buy AIRTRAN

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
ahh, if the airtran 737 was actually in the southwest hangar at DAL, i'm guessing they had their choice of business class seats as it made its way back to the mothership......

that would be citrus 8602
Old May 2, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by Seat1A
ahh, if the airtran 737 was actually in the southwest hangar at DAL, i'm guessing they had their choice of business class seats as it made its way back to the mothership......

that would be citrus 8602
The irony of WN execs riding in FL BC is sickening.
Old May 2, 2011, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by plagwate
The irony of WN execs riding in FL BC is sickening.
Old May 2, 2011, 4:27 pm

Thumbs down

Old May 2, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
F*** Southwest

Seriously, I won't say I will stay away from SW in the future. But there is no way I stay loyal to it like I did with Aritran. The frequent flyer benefits on SW really mean little to me. I dont care for early boarding as I like to enter the aircraft later than others.
Old May 3, 2011, 8:29 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
OTOH if that wasn't the best last minute sales pitch!
Old May 20, 2011, 8:28 am

Wink

Looking forward to seeing a Canyon Blue 717 in ROC. Please start a ROC-FLL n/s for the Winter
Old May 25, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: Amtrak S+, Kimpton IC
Originally Posted by plagwate
Or if they lined them up in the seat chute for the pick-a-seat game.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, Kimpton IC
This thread has gone cold. Any updated leaks on future consolidated routes? Wild speculation is ok.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:55 pm

Will anyone else be disappointed like me if they don't keep the Fortnum and Mason brand tea post-merger?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by animalj7
Will anyone else be disappointed like me if they don't keep the Fortnum and Mason brand tea post-merger?
They can serve Mountain Dew from a trough for all I care. You won't find me on WN.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 9:15 pm

Route cuts with merger?

I think this might be among the first statements from Southwest brass that some routes will be cut as part of the merger. Prior to this, most official statements talked about growth, keeping markets, etc.

http://www.ajc.com/business/southwes...o-1012760.html

Here's the quote from the story about route cuts:

Operationally, Southwest is preparing to combine the two airlines' schedules and cut some flights, chief executive Gary Kelly said in a message to employees.

"We just have a lot of flights that aren't profitable and with these fuel prices, there's obviously now way to change these economics," Kelly said.
Obviously we don't know the identity nor extent of what will be cut, nor how much (some? all?) of the reduced capacity will be replaced with expansion elsewhere. But this seems to be a pretty notable signal...perhaps the first one this clear...that some unprofitable parts of AirTran are going to be on the block.

This really shouldn't be a big surprise, of course, and I'm not trying to suggest it is. But in the drawn-out saga of "what will Southwest's acquisition of AirTran look like" speculation, this is perhaps the first clear sign that it won't simply be the FL map appended to the WN map.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Airtran A+ Elite
Originally Posted by knope2001
I think this might be among the first statements from Southwest brass that some routes will be cut as part of the merger. Prior to this, most official statements talked about growth, keeping markets, etc.

http://www.ajc.com/business/southwes...o-1012760.html

Here's the quote from the story about route cuts:

Obviously we don't know the identity nor extent of what will be cut, nor how much (some? all?) of the reduced capacity will be replaced with expansion elsewhere. But this seems to be a pretty notable signal...perhaps the first one this clear...that some unprofitable parts of AirTran are going to be on the block.

This really shouldn't be a big surprise, of course, and I'm not trying to suggest it is. But in the drawn-out saga of "what will Southwest's acquisition of AirTran look like" speculation, this is perhaps the first clear sign that it won't simply be the FL map appended to the WN map.
Some of that could be overlap or areas with more then one airport where right now Airtran goes to one and Southwest goes to the other(obvious example DAL and DTW) that they will cut down on. Of course some also could be places that Southwest decides they no longer want Airtran to go to. I expect the company to lose a pretty good chunk of Airtran customers as well so less flights will also be because of that(whether Southwest realizes it yet or not).
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by mke9499
AirTran has made major commitment to MKE, including newly-established base, sponsorships and support (Marquette University, Milwaukee Brewers, Miller Park AirTran Landing Zone, Milwaukee YMCA, etc.); will these be abandoned?
Apparently, Southwest is negotiating with the Brewers to take over the AirTran Landing Zone area at Miller Park.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee....html?page=all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.