RUMORS are everywhere....
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:08 am

Details...
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...103846393.html
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:19 am

Say it ain't so
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:22 am

FL provides a much better passenger experience than WN

I think that they ought to transition to FL livery and provide a consistent FL experience across the fleet.

#1 prediction

Within 3 yrs the 717's will be toast
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:37 am

Programs: AA, DL
Another link on the buyout..

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/co...tran/19649604/
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:43 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
WOO-HOO!!!! Lower ATL fares!!!!
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:46 am

Programs: A+ Elite, Hilton Gold, OA and hotels, member
Originally Posted by emma dog
WOO-HOO!!!! Lower ATL fares!!!!
Not so sure about this. It's been my experience that WNs fares generally are not as competitive as FL's are. Obviously there's no direct competition out of ATL, but FL is almost always the lowest cost provider on nonstop routes out of ATL, and I can't say that's always true on WN. Also, goodbye free upgrades

I guess there will be lower fares to new routings out of atlanta that aren't already served. And WN has no change fees, so that's a plus too. And my A+ credits will likely take me farther. Maybe this isn't all bad. I'm still gonna miss my upgrades.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:52 am

Several questions come to mind...obviously it's really early to know, but speculation is fun...

(a) Business class expanded to the entire fleet or dropped?

(b) Assigned seating...with or without AirTran's fee...expanded to the entire fleet or dropped?

(d) Wifi expanded to the entire fleet or dropped?

(e) The 717 is something of an orphan airframe, but does WN benefit from having something smaller than the 137-seat 737, and if so is it the 717? Or it the 717 fleet going to be walled off into the legacy AirTran neetwork until it can be replaced by the 737, even if that means dropping some smaller markets?

(f) What of Milwaukee, considering Southwest simply does not need MKE for east-west flow like AirTran does?

(g) Will this cook the 16-departuere/day MKE feeder operation of Skywest? Or will they consider replicating this elsewhere?

(h) Will ATL see pounding growth like Denver has, and if so how soon?

(i) Southwest typically doesn't run a station with fewer than about 8 flights per day. There are around thirty AirTran cities under that tier, and unless Southwest changes their strategy, will they be dumped just like most of the smaller Morris stations?

(j) Interlining?

(k) GDS or only at southwestairlines.com?
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:59 am

Programs: A+ Elite, Hilton Gold, OA and hotels, member
good points, knope. My thought would be that WN's policies would dominate the combined airline, but only time will tell.

to question i, above. This is a valid point, but there could be some logical expansion of smaller stations that only connect with one of ATL/BWI/MCO/MKE by connecting them to DEN, DAL, MDW, etc.

This is exciting, but i'm still not sure if the good outweighs the bad for me.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:05 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by knope2001
(f) What of Milwaukee, considering Southwest simply does not need MKE for east-west flow like AirTran does?
Prediction: MKE gets snipped by WN after the intergration, the same way AA snipped STL after TWA was bought out.

At least MKE will still have F9.

(g) Will this cook the 16-departuere/day MKE feeder operation of Skywest? Or will they consider replicating this elsewhere?
Prediction: Considering WN will be @ DL's ATL hub, I imagine Skywest would be pressured by DL to drop it's relations with FL/WN.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:09 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by henryf
FL provides a much better passenger experience than WN

#1 prediction

Within 3 yrs the 717's will be toast
Cleary, this is a key part of their WN business model.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:10 am

Programs: United GS 1MM, WN A-List, Marriott LTPPE, CLEAR
I think somone at Widget HQ just had a stroke or two.....I wonder if JetBlue will have anything to say about this?
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:10 am

(e) The issue with the 717 is the added burden of maintaining another aircraft type. WN is proud of the fact that the 737 is the only airframe in their fleet

(h) I hope not. ATL is already over capacity during the morning push. More traffic would be a disaster. maybe Terminal D will get an upgrade out of all of this

(j) from http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index..._Rapid_Rewards

Why doesn't Southwest interline with other carriers?

* It comes down to cost. Interlining also adds complexity, and therefore even more cost, to operations. Southwest certainly thought long and hard about costs before committing to the interlining agreement with the now-defunct ATA.

* In 1997 Southwest began an interlining partnership with Icelandair that lasted a few years, allowing connections at BWI, probably with Southwest handling all the ground operations.

* Interlining with one airline at a handful of airports is hard enough; trading baggage with multiple airlines systemwide makes rapid connections almost impossible. Ticketing software would need to be further upgraded, and the returns from all this investment would probably not even cover the additional costs. Interlining is a great feature of the legacy airline system, but one that adds more cost than most customers want to pay.

* On July 8, 2008, Southwest announced "its intention to build a codeshare partnership" with Canada's WestJet, an airline that extensively copied the Southwest model. This agreement was canceled on April 17, 2010. Southwest has operating authority to fly to Canada should it choose to do so.

* On November 10,2008, Southwest announced "its intention to build a codeshare partnership with Mexican carrier Volaris," a low-cost airline that began operations in February, 2006.

* Southwest has also repeatedly stated that it is working on future codeshare arrangements with other carriers for additional International destinations.

We'll see how this develops. How serious is WN about capacity control for rewards? My west coast runs are going from 6 hours to 10+ hours of flying time if the current WN schedule is maintained.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:11 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, AA, WN, UA, US, WN, BA.
A couple of these answers are on the lowfaresfarther.com website.

Business Class will be dropped. Assigned seating will be dropped.

Several questions come to mind...obviously it's really early to know, but speculation is fun...

(a) Business class expanded to the entire fleet or dropped?

(b) Assigned seating...with or without AirTran's fee...expanded to the entire fleet or dropped?

(d) Wifi expanded to the entire fleet or dropped?

(e) The 717 is something of an orphan airframe, but does WN benefit from having something smaller than the 137-seat 737, and if so is it the 717? Or it the 717 fleet going to be walled off into the legacy AirTran neetwork until it can be replaced by the 737, even if that means dropping some smaller markets?

(h) Will ATL see pounding growth like Denver has, and if so how soon?

(i) Southwest typically doesn't run a station with fewer than about 8 flights per day. There are around thirty AirTran cities under that tier, and unless Southwest changes their strategy, will they be dumped just like most of the smaller Morris stations?

(j) Interlining?

(k) GDS or only at southwestairlines.com?
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:11 am

jetBlue isnt in WN's direct firing line for now... They'll keep cool, together with AA.

Also this means Southwest enters CLT and DCA... US watch out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.