Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big Deal About Lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2021, 6:58 pm

Programs: Some/Most/All
Originally Posted by swag
It matters also whether you're flying nonstop or connecting.

When I was traveling the most, I was an AA hub captive at DFW, and since almost all my flights were nonstop, I couldn't justify buying a membership.
I used to think that, but I've changed my stance. I've kept my membership for Get Home Insurance reasons. Sure, we probably don't care about IRROPs when we're leaving on a trip, but when you're trying to get home and make that school program or soccer game, etc.,etc...

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Do they bend AA policies, or double protect you, or...? Trying to figure out what they can do in IRROPs situations.
I've never asked them to do anything specific that I *knew* was against the rules. I'll never forget the time I walked up to a forever-in-my-heart AC after getting a text that my connecting flight had been canceled. I simply asked what they could do. The AAngel asked me if I could possibly make it to gate X99 in 15 minutes. I replied "no problem!" and OJ'd my way across the airport. I made it with a few minutes to spare, just in time to hear the GA announce that the flight was oversold and they were looking for 4 or 5 volunteers. I looked down at my BP that was printed about 12 minutes prior. Did the AAngel do something untoward? I have no idea, but I really don't care. I made it there without the hassle of whatever the IRROPs wheel-of-fortune was going to land on that evening.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 7:10 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by JBKettle
[...] I've never asked them to do anything specific that I *knew* was against the rules. I'll never forget the time I walked up to a forever-in-my-heart AC after getting a text that my connecting flight had been canceled. I simply asked what they could do. The AAngel asked me if I could possibly make it to gate X99 in 15 minutes. I replied "no problem!" and OJ'd my way across the airport. I made it with a few minutes to spare, just in time to hear the GA announce that the flight was oversold and they were looking for 4 or 5 volunteers. I looked down at my BP that was printed about 12 minutes prior. Did the AAngel do something untoward? I have no idea, but I really don't care. I made it there without the hassle of whatever the IRROPs wheel-of-fortune was going to land on that evening.
The Juice!

Anyways, pretty cool of that AC agent.
JBKettle likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 7:17 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this topic is not specific to AA, we will move this to the Airport Lounges forum for further discussion. /JY1024, AAdvantage forum co-mod
Old Nov 18, 2021, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Two really pleasant things about an airport lounge:

1) You're special. Not really, of course, but it's a nice feeling when you go through the door, show your boarding pass or membership card, and take your place among the special people. Don't think too much about how you're not actually special and anyone can get in if they pay the fee or get a premium cabin seat with lounge entry. Enjoy the delusion -- don't fight it.

2) Free stuff! Again, this probably isn't true. The "free" stuff is likely included in something you bought.
Vanessa Mack likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I like lounges, and they make flying more pleasant and the time more productive. But where I have really gotten value has been in IRROPS and other long connections. The dedicated agent, a place to sit and plug in your laptop and work, with free drinks and food, while the airport is crazy makes all the difference. The last time I had a 6 hour delay in DEN due to IRROPS I felt like the club card paid for itself that day.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by dhuey
Two really pleasant things about an airport lounge:

1) You're special. Not really, of course, but it's a nice feeling when you go through the door, show your boarding pass or membership card, and take your place among the special people. Don't think too much about how you're not actually special and anyone can get in if they pay the fee or get a premium cabin seat with lounge entry. Enjoy the delusion -- don't fight it.

2) Free stuff! Again, this probably isn't true. The "free" stuff is likely included in something you bought.
I think the illusion of being "special" wears off after numerous lounge visits. I can see where if you only fly a couple times a year, accessing a lounge may give one the illusion of being privileged but for those of us that travel frequently, I really don't see the lounge as such. It simply makes waiting more tolerable than sitting in a terminal. For me, simply being able to get a few snacks to munch on, some free coffee, and a comfortable place to sit with access to a plug makes it worthwhile.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 1:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Chris2013
I think the illusion of being "special" wears off after numerous lounge visits. I can see where if you only fly a couple times a year, accessing a lounge may give one the illusion of being privileged but for those of us that travel frequently, I really don't see the lounge as such. It simply makes waiting more tolerable than sitting in a terminal. For me, simply being able to get a few snacks to munch on, some free coffee, and a comfortable place to sit with access to a plug makes it worthwhile.
Not to brag, but I'm way better at indulging the delusion of being special than you are.
_kurt and lcfowler like this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
All it takes to make you appreciate lounges (and domestic F or international J) is to fly in economy on an LCC without lounge access again. A reminder of what it is like to be a little spoiled.

I definitely recall how much I hated flying (usually for business) back when it was all in economy and had no lounge access. The international side was particularly miserable, and I thought I would have to stop doing that part of my job unless I could find some way to make it more pleasant. Thank you, FT, for teaching me about upgrades and lounges!
Old Nov 19, 2021, 1:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
As most people said, it is a far better experience than the terminal. The airport terminal is a vile and annoying experience. It is crowded, hectic, lacking amenities. The list goes on.

However, I will say, if an lounge outsider is reading this thread, they would expect nothing but sunshine and rainbows. Not all lounges are created equal. Not all lounge experiences are awesome and perfect.

First off, some are crowded. There may be a long line to get in or you may be turned away altogether. If you get in, there may no seats, people crammed everywhere, and/or kids running around. A far cry from the zen-like organization many brag of. Even if it is peaceful, is that really what you always want? If you have work to do, it's probably a great bet. However, you're also likely to be on a plane soon, which is even more "quiet" time.

The food and drink is not always top quality. Some take it to a new level but not all. Especially in the pandemic age. We continue to see less options, more prepackaged, less service, etc. For some lounges, this is not a problem at all though.

A lot of people are absolutely obsessed over "unlimited, free, and included bundles/packages". So much so that they overpay in memberships or stay loyal to specific brands just to get something "free". Companies know this and it's why these things exist. When in reality, free can cost you way more than you might have spent otherwise, while limiting options. As much as I love included alcohol, I sometimes find myself not wanting any when returning from a trip where I may have already had a few.

By no means am I saying lounges aren't worth it. Even with all this said, you'll find me in one in many instances. I'm just here to give alternate perspectives. I also must say I've also found myself enjoying my time far better in some airport restaurants though. My home airport has a solid option that I normally walk right into, and get a solid entre and cocktail of my choosing. Often that is more enjoyable than kicking off my trip in a large, quiet, room with hummus.
Vanessa Mack likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 2:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I would much like spending 2 hrs in a lounge than rush to make a 45min connection, thus I book accordingly. I can always standby for an earlier flight if it's an easy walk and I have enough elite status
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
The AA Admirals Club lounge agents have helped me hundreds of times. Both in IRROPS and sometimes just to be nice.

Examples:
IRROPS
(1) Changing international destination even on an award ticket, including removing a connection (from LHR-PHL-PBI to LHR-MIA as an example)
(1a) Doing the same domestically dozens of times (switching anywhere-PBI to FLL or MIA)
(2) Calling UA at O'Hare to secure me any coach seat on their last flight of the evening to XXX (this has happened at least five times), and getting the re-ticketing done correctly so I don't have to exit security. And UA usually gives me a decent seat (once even in F!) as an additional "interclub" courtesy.
(3) Overselling me into coach many, many times on earlier or later flights; sometimes directly into First (and see below)
(4) Ensuring (when this counted) that I had the highest possible ranking on a distressed pax list
(5) And when all else fails, getting me the best possible hotel room (and always the on-site Hilton at ORD)

Just being nice:
(1) Competently knowing that an F ticket should be coded DSR for an earlier flight, not "standby", and almost always the follow-through to ensure that the last seat is mine
(2) The above condition, with SWU or BXP1 upgrade (and even a few times with an e500 sticker upgrade when it shouldn't have applied).
(3) Issuing last-minute tickets, including award tickets, and handling future ticketing problems as time permits
(4) Monitoring upgrade lists on international flights

So, yes, it is a program- benefit that I cheerfully pay for year after year.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 6:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If it weren’t for lounges, I would probably be less willing to take some connecting flights and perhaps even fly less overall even on some direct flights. The lounges make the travel experience better for me than it would be without the lounges.

Shower on arrival? A cleaner/lower traffic bathroom? A place to have a better than average chance to get devices recharged and a decent internet connection? A place to get a more comfortable seat (if it’s not too busy)? A place to get some water in a way that doesn’t remind me of elementary school? A place to wait it out when flight schedules get messed up? A place to have a face to face chat/meeting where the disturbances and intrusions may be less likely to hit and hit unexpectedly? A place to print out stuff? A place to conveniently grab some fruit or other food without having to endure even more of that retail shop and “what can I get you?” bar/restaurant feel? While some, most or even all of those may answered in the negative at times, more typically the situation is such that there are enough affirmative answers to those questions about lounges, that it is something I appreciate.

While I don’t always use available lounges on my trips, I do generally consider the lounge situation in how I want to schedule/route my trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.