Big Deal About Lounges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big Deal About Lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Big Deal About Lounges?

I was just wondering about people's perceptions about lounges, which are a frequent topic here. Let me give mine.

I have an AMEX Platinum card, so I get access to the Centurion Lounge. I've also been to the USAirways Club, and a few times in the Admiral's, Red Carpet, and Delta lounges. I took one overseas trip in which I had access to the lounge in LHR (changing flights in the morning) and CDG prior to an afternoon departure. And one trip on which I was in the FL and FFD in JFK on the departure and return.

I rarely drink, so free liquor isn't a big deal to me, although it's certainly nice to not have to pay $3-4 for a glass of ginger ale or orange juice. I'm a fussy eater so I often don't eat the hot food, just cookies and such. The terminal has free wifi. Of course the seating in lounges is way more comfortable.

It sort of seems like the "big deal" among lounges, and higher-level lounges, is the champagne and/or quality thereof. I've heard that some overseas first class lounges can have pretty nice amenities, like spas and massages. (I think the one in LHR had massages, but I didn't book one and anyway I just wanted to nap.) When I was in the FL at JFK the food seemed a bit better than the Centurion Lounge, and FFD was a nice touch but nothing to die for.

Now that being said... I frequently fly paid F, paying more to upgrade a single ticket than an annual AC membership would cost. So it's a matter of personal preference.

Other thoughts.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
A place to
- get flight assistance
- use the (somewhat cleaner) facilities
- grab a free cocktail
- plug in, charge up, catch up on e-mails, make a phone call

All of those things are easier to do in a club than they are in the terminal.
Markie, Spiff, chrisny2 and 11 others like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:48 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
If you don't drink and are a picky eater, the value of the lounge is diminished.

But there are two things that I find really valuable:

1. Clean bathrooms
2. No announcements -- especially the "only ticketed passengers are allowed past security" announcement when you are already past security.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Lounge-raving is akin to J/F-food raving --
Like, you spent 10K on a F ticket and you are beaming over a mediocre meal? Sometimes I wonder how terrible the food is you eat at home.

Similarly, the lounge is a marginal benefit that makes flying marginally less annoying, and it is funny to see how many travel bloggers will write rave reviews about lounges (Look at those [fairly uncomfortable] chairs! So sleek and modern. And the free ice tea and chicken soup can't be beat!!).

But when you fly often enough, marginal benefits are still benefits worth having (IMO).

I can't stand the free wine in Admiral's lounges, but usually the bar tender can point me to a great bottle for ~25-40 bucks and fairly quickly serve it to my partner and I where we are sitting. Much quicker than going to a wine bar where you have to get seated, get a menu, wait for the waiter, wait for the wine, waive down someone for the check, etc. And generally, it's much quieter and relaxing sipping on that wine in the AC than at a restaurant in the terminal which are all fish-bowl environments. (and increasingly so -- every terminal renovation seems to put the 'nice restaurant' seating out in the open terminal where everyone is walking by-- yuk).
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Lounge-raving is akin to J/F-food raving --
Like, you spent 10K on a F ticket and you are beaming over a mediocre meal? Sometimes I wonder how terrible the food is you eat at home.

Similarly, the lounge is a marginal benefit that makes flying marginally less annoying, and it is funny to see how many travel bloggers will write rave reviews about lounges (Look at those [fairly uncomfortable] chairs! So sleek and modern. And the free ice tea and chicken soup can't be beat!!).

But when you fly often enough, marginal benefits are still benefits worth having (IMO).

I can't stand the free wine in Admiral's lounges, but usually the bar tender can point me to a great bottle for ~25-40 bucks and fairly quickly serve it to my partner and I where we are sitting. Much quicker than going to a wine bar where you have to get seated, get a menu, wait for the waiter, wait for the wine, waive down someone for the check, etc. And generally, it's much quieter and relaxing sipping on that wine in the AC than at a restaurant in the terminal which are all fish-bowl environments. (and increasingly so -- every terminal renovation seems to put the 'nice restaurant' seating out in the open terminal where everyone is walking by-- yuk).
I admit that when I retired and decided that my retirement present to myself would be a lot of travel, I also decided to get all the relevant travel tools from noise-cancelling headphones (lost my first pair twice, only got them back the first time), bluetooth tags for my luggage/passport/headphones/etc., Amex Plat card, and as the stock market has gone up and my finances have improved, almost always flying F.

I agree about the food - I sometimes don't even eat on the plane.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
For me it's a usually more comfortable place to sit and wait but the big draw is usually better service in terms of irrops and changes, uogrades,upgrades, etc.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
I'm a student who travels a bit less than 10 trips per year so for me, it isn't as much about making travel less annoying and more about making the experience even slightly more elevated. I guess I'm not seasoned enough to think of travel as a mundane necessity, but instead treat every flight as though it's a special occasion that should be celebrated and fully enjoyed, however that may be. I used to be an AU on my parents platinum card (expensive fee so I'm off now), but the Centurion Lounge was definitely a privilege with its above average buffet and free drinks. Right now, however, I've been relegated to the AC, which, for what it is, is more than fine. I get my free coffee, I'm not too picky so I'm able to make a "meal" out of the offerings, and the sweets are honestly better than what you'd expect for saran-wrapped baked goods. Food and drink aside, at the bare minimum, it's a comfortable and quiet place to sit where I can knock out some work and soak in some tarmac views. Not a bad way to spend a few hours pre-flight.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
For international travel, the lounge often comes with the territory (business or first travel). In this case it serves as part of a premium experience. I rarely have problems with overseas ticketing, so it's more of a luxury.

However, for domestic travel, the lounge is a must-have IMHO -- the airports are only getting worse (dirtier, more crowded, fewer amenities). And on domestic travel, you often need ticketing assistance ASAP during IRROPs.

I have both AA and UA lounge access domestically -- the important items for me are:
1. Ticket agents available immediately (even top-level elite phone lines often have hour-long waits nowadays)
2. Much more space than the terminal alongside plenty of outlets for devices
3. Open bar and acceptable snacks. Not expecting gourmet food, but with domestic in-flight meals sparse, this is nice to have
4. Clean and quiet

It's certainly worth $500 per year if you do more than 10 round-trips per year IMHO
Old Nov 15, 2021, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It matters also whether you're flying nonstop or connecting.

When I was traveling the most, I was an AA hub captive at DFW, and since almost all my flights were nonstop, I couldn't justify buying a membership. The lounge food and drink weren't good enough to make me want to get to the airport early, and irrops requiring assistance are much rarer on nonstops. If you connect a lot, you're much more likely to need help for that misconnect, and even when things run smoothly, you may find yourself with an extra hour to kill on the layover. In that case, a lounge membership may provide real value.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
To me, the intl J/F lounges and centurion lounge are places to relax with some space and quiet. I do drink a decent amount, so that's also nice.

I don't see much value in the AC, and thus don't carry a membership.
dsquared37 and _fx like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 4:11 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
If you've ever wanted to shower after a long-haul flight (particularly before a connection) a lounge is typically a clean and effective place to do it. Most airports do not offer public showers, and given the state of most airport bathrooms I would seriously question the cleanliness of such facilities.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 4:26 pm

Nice Champagne is... nice. Even nicer if it's free. But no, for me the real value of a lounge is:
1) Run in and grab a quick drink and a bite to eat. In and out in 15 minutes, vs. the terminal where I might wait in a long line to pay $25 for a meal that's still barely edible. Or spend even longer going to a sit-down restaurant. Time I might not have on a short connection or if I'm running late.
2) Shower when I'm arriving on a redeye and going straight to the office, or to a hotel where I won't be able to check in until the afternoon.
3) At airports I frequent (pre-covid. sadly not true for me now), the lounge makes it feel more like home. Someplace I can call my own, where I have a favorite chair and recognize the staff.
4) With the AC specifically, competent rebooking assistance when something goes wrong.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Lounges serve different purposes.

On domestic flights, they're a nice-to-have that facilitates working during connections or delays. I've also used them when getting off a flight at my destination but wanting to finish work before heading to my hotel. Delta's SkyClubs tend to offer a sufficient (sometimes very good) amount of space, wifi, snacks, and cleanliness — things that make it easier to work.

SkyClubs, ACs, and United Clubs are like domestic first class: You're not paying for luxury; you're paying not to be uncomfortable. They're not places to luxuriate.

On the other hand, certain international lounges really are luxurious. United's Polaris Lounges include genuinely good restaurants (at no additional cost), bona fide (if not fabulous) champagne, good drinks, actually filling and even legitimately gourmet buffets, and large rest areas, nap areas, and private showers. It does feel almost like a modern version of a city club. I believe that AA's Flagship lounges are comparable. And certain foreign carriers' first class lounges, such as Lufthansa's, are pretty extraordinary — champagne bars, cigar lounges, libraries, etc. These make the travel experience really special, like the photos we see of flying first class in the '60s and early '70s. If you like flying, or would like to like flying, these things make flying fun again.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 4:48 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by ezefllying
On the other hand, certain international lounges really are luxurious. United's Polaris Lounges include genuinely good restaurants (at no additional cost), bona fide (if not fabulous) champagne, good drinks, actually filling and even legitimately gourmet buffets, and large rest areas, nap areas, and private showers. It does feel almost like a modern version of a city club. I believe that AA's Flagship lounges are comparable. And certain foreign carriers' first class lounges, such as Lufthansa's, are pretty extraordinary — champagne bars, cigar lounges, libraries, etc. These make the travel experience really special, like the photos we see of flying first class in the '60s and early '70s. If you like flying, or would like to like flying, these things make flying fun again.
If you fly internationally to B markets (think: Prague, Vienna, Osaka), you might have to spend 4 hours or so in your transit airport, where it's nice to have a lounge. I wouldn't call the Polaris or Flagship lounges overly decadent, but you feel a lot more taken care of than in a United Club or Admirals Club.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I don't think enough has been said about the actual seating. When you are at the Gate, you are shoulder to shoulder with people, tripping over their bags, them tripping over yours, using the public bathrooms not just with the less than clean nature, but often a line if you have the misfortune to have to go just when one or more flights have landed.

I like "free" food and drink as much as the next guy, but it's being more spread out, often in comfortable chairs, that I like the most.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.