FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Airport Lounges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airport-lounges-763/)
-   -   LHR London Heathrow lounges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airport-lounges/1888337-lhr-london-heathrow-lounges.html)

GT80 Jul 14, 2018 10:02 am

I like BAW Galleries T5 south; usually you find somewhere a corner that is still quite to relax before the connection flight.
However British Airways food can be improved in my view. Yes the Lounge is huge and many people are visiting the lounge but still I`ve always the feeling food is made without any "love".

sxc Jul 15, 2018 5:42 am

I’ll be arriving at T5 around 14.30 and want to use the T2 arrivals lounge. Bags will be checked through so won’t need to worry about that.

Do do you think it’s better for me to get to T2 airside and enter the UK there or enter at T5 and travel to T2?

Not a EU passport so I will need to go through immigration.

KARFA Jul 15, 2018 10:54 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 29975365)
I’ll be arriving at T5 around 14.30 and want to use the T2 arrivals lounge. Bags will be checked through so won’t need to worry about that.

Do do you think it’s better for me to get to T2 airside and enter the UK there or enter at T5 and travel to T2?

Not a EU passport so I will need to go through immigration.

i would generally say always use the airside buses where you can as that should be quicker than the landside options. However I don’t know how non-EU immigration queue length compares between T5 and T2. If T5 is usually quicker then it may be better to do it there and take the tube/HEX across.

also if you get a fast track voucher isn’t that a BA branded one? Would they accept that at T2 since BA has no presence there?

sxc Jul 15, 2018 4:55 pm

I think they don’t hand out fast track vouchers for T5 since they know to just look at the boarding pass there?

KARFA Jul 15, 2018 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 29977148)
I think they don’t hand out fast track vouchers for T5 since they know to just look at the boarding pass there?

Apparently so, but then I hear sometimes people are able to get a voucher from the cabin crew. If you can't get one I assume you won't be able to use fast track at T2 immigration, or if you do get one I suspect they may not accept it since BA are present in T2.

Does the lack of you being able to use fast track at T2 mean that going through T5 immigration is far more preferable for you?

sxc Jul 15, 2018 6:35 pm

@karfa I’m not sure really. I guess I’m asking here to see if anyone knows what it will be like at around that time of day. My experience of hex transfer is it can be a bit long?

KARFA Jul 16, 2018 2:10 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 29977378)
@karfa I’m not sure really. I guess I’m asking here to see if anyone knows what it will be like at around that time of day. My experience of hex transfer is it can be a bit long?

The frequency of HEX is every 15 mins, tube is more like ever 8-9 mins. However the actual journey time
is pretty much the same between T5 and the respective tube/HEX stations in the central area.

i think though it is the immigration times that would be key to deciding which route you take. If you are not getting fast track at T2 that may be a much bigger issue than the few minutes difference between taking the airside bus to T2 vs going landside at T5 and taking the tube/HEX.

sxc Jul 21, 2018 2:49 am

Just to report back - I went through immigration at T5. Quite a long immigration queue but I think I was at the front in 20 minutes. Of course I don’t know how immigration at T2 was.

Upon entry to the plaza premium arrivals lounge they didn’t ask to see any boarding pass.

ChrisMcP Jul 23, 2018 9:59 am

What lounge would people recommend in T5 for someone travelling CW to Los Angeles please ?

euromannn Jul 23, 2018 10:11 am

Originally Posted by ChrisMcP (Post 30004075)
What lounge would people recommend in T5 for someone travelling CW to Los Angeles please ?

What partnership access do you have?

PP pass access in T5 is only 'Aspire Lounge' which is very crowded but reasonable place.
Had a few pasta dishes, alcoholic drinks, showers always cost $$$$.
Nothing special but so crowded very difficult to sit down.

sxc Jul 23, 2018 10:15 am

I wonder how Plaza Premium in T5 is going in terms of making money. There wouldn’t be any airlines paying for its service and it’s jot earning any money from Priority Pass. I doubt many people are paying outright for it? Is the volume from Amex card holders enough?

KARFA Jul 23, 2018 10:24 am

Originally Posted by ChrisMcP (Post 30004075)

As CW passenger you would get access to any of the three BA Galleries Club lounges. There are two in T5A, on at each end of the building, and another in T5B. The offerings in all three are the same, but the one in T5B is usually quieter, and it is likely your flight would depart from a T5B or C gate anyway although there is always the possibility of being bussed to a remote stand from A10.

If you go to T5B and use the GC there it would be worth you familiarising yourself with the guides linked to in the dashboard of the BAEC board - basically if you need to get back from T5B to T5A use the underground walkways and do not use the transit system.

ChrisMcP Jul 23, 2018 10:50 am

Thank you all for the help. Much appreciated . Used the T5A last time so might try the 5B.

Rommie2k6 Aug 2, 2018 9:42 pm

For the LHR lounges landside (before security), do we need a boarding pass to get in? Or can we enter with a Priority Pass card? I'm asking because I have an airport hotel the day before I fly, and would be nice to get some dinner the day before.

Rommie2k6 Aug 2, 2018 9:51 pm

I'm also flying in to LHR in a few weeks time on Delta, which arrives at Terminal 3(?) according to my research. Have AMEX Plat and Priority Pass card. Any advice/recommendations on lounge hopping for the best food (I don't drink)? I have half a day to burn before heading to London proper. I assume I can access Terminal 3 lounge, and all other Terminal lounges that are landside (before security)?

So far my research suggests T4 lounges have the best food, followed by T2 then T3.

So if I am arriving in T3, I could do the No. 1 lounge in T3 (airside), then visit the Plaza Premium T2 lounge (airside). After that clear customs and visit the Plaza Premium T2 lounge (landside). Then finally make a trip to Plaza Premium T4 lounge (airside). Would that work?