LAX - Priority Pass and other options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dw
Priority Pass options (as of 8/28/21)

There are currently 0 PP lounge options at LAX with their respective hours of operation for PP members:
  • Barney's Beanery (Terminal 2); 10:30 am-midnight removed from program 11/30/2018
  • Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse (Terminal 2); 5:00 am-10:30am being converted to a Delta SkyClub. Delta signage already displayed outside April 2021
  • Campanile (Terminal 4) 6a-10p - restaurant with $28 credit removed from program in October 2018
  • Alaska Lounge (Terminal 6); 4:30 am-11:00 pm (4:30-10:00 pm Sundays) according to Priority Pass access is "temporarily suspended" effective July 26, 2021
  • Point the Way Cafe (Terminal 6); 1 pm-11 pm - restaurant with $28 credit (PP cards issued via American Express Platinum Card do not qualify) dropped out June 2021 after reopening
  • Korean (KAL) Lounge (TBIT); 11:00am-5:00pm report on FT in 8/2021 is that this lounge is no longer accepting PP
  • P.F. Chang's (TBIT) 11a-11p - restaurant with $28 credit removed from program October 2019
  • Rock & Brews (Terminal 1) 5:00am - 10:00 pm - restaurant with $28 credit (PP cards issued via American Express Platinum Card do not qualify)

Note that all terminals from T4 through T8, including TBIT, are connected airside, albeit not necessarily in the most passenger friendly manner. Expect multiple sets of stairs, escalators, long underground tunnels, and so on.Note that the Alaska Lounge has a tendency to deny access to priority pass holders due to "crowding" reasons.

Print Wikipost

LAX - Priority Pass and other options

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
You can access any terminal at LAX with a valid LAX boarding pass. If the TSA agent advises you are in the wrong terminal, just tell them you want to eat at Rock and Brews. But I would not recommend it due to time. Reading the reviews on the Rock and Brews YELP page , the food is average but main issue is time (with a previous review stating it took 20 minutes for food to arrive). This is further hampered by security at T1 and heading back to your departing terminal. Based on the info you provided this is a probably the most generous timetable.

0755: Arrival at LAX T3/T4 Gate
0800: Deplane
0810: Exit Arrival Terminal
0815: Boarding T1 Shuttle
0825: Arrival at T1 (LAX Traffic is horrible and you have to account for multiple people getting on)
0830: Clearing Security at T1 , if you have TSA Pre (add 5-10 minutes if you do not.)
0835: Arrive at Rock and Brews
0840: Seated
0850: Order taken. (Based on average wait times from Yelp reviews)
0910: Food Arrives
0910-0925: Eat while asking for check and paying.
0925: Leave Rock and Brews to exit T1
0930: Depart T1 and journey to Departure Terminal
0940: Arrival at Departure Terminal
0945: Clear TSA
0950: Arrival at departure gate
0955: Boarding

LAX Maps are here and is how I calculated journey time for a fit person travelling at a brisk pace. Even with TSA Pre it seems to a very tight connection. If you somehow do not have TSA Pre, I would not consider it.
Decided to be brave and ignore the prevailing wisdom. Got a confidence boost from an early arrival at LAX (and from having the force with me, more on that below*):

0720 touch down LAX
0730 at gate
0738 off plane (seat 23D)
0743 at Shuttle
0800 Terminal 1
0755 At TSA Pre (2 people ahead of us in line)
0802 at Rock and Brews - not very crowded seated immediately - took more time to fumble for PP on phone than to get seated
0808 order taken - we were not ready at the first pass
0815 food showed up (!) - waffles and burrito - food was fine but served on paper plates with plastic forks and knives (the latter presumably because it's airside)
0840 done eating
0845 boarded shuttle
0850 at T4 - longer line at TSA Pre T4
0901 at gate, 52 mins to boarding

*Why the force was with me today:

For a 6:12 AM departure out of SFO I had set an alarm for 3:50 AM (I live near *SJC*), or so I thought. The previous day I had selected "Wake Cancel" so that the alarm would not wake up my spouse while I was out of town. So no 3:50 alarm.

At 5:02 (!) my spouse wakes me up - that's close to her normal wake up time. *%$&$#% we scramble - my son and I were traveling for a ski trip - luckily we had most of our stuff almost (but not fully!) packed and ready to go. Pulled out of the driveway at 5:15. Arrived SFO at 5:46 (traffic was not light but moving and for once I was thankful for the 5AM start for the carpool lanes on highway 101, and I did not observe the posted speed limits .

We lugged the bags to the AA Priority Desk - fourth in line. When we get to the agent (5:52) was blown away by how late we were - I did not make any excuses but asked her to do whatever she could do. And kudos to the professionalism of the gate agent - I wish I had got her name - we love to complain about AA but this is why I love AA after 30 years of flying them! She calmly checked in the bags, printed out boarding passes for the 8:00 AM (!) departure out of SFO then told me to go to the gate for the 6:12 AM flight anyway. TSA Pre was not empty but not crazily busy - we had about a dozen people ahead of us.

We got to gate D10 at 6:00. The gate agent was pretty much done and there were still some names on the wait list flashing. She shook her head at our craziness, then reprinted new boarding passes (for the 6:12 am) and called in to see if there was any space for carry ons - which she wanted us to gate check those until we realized that we had a connnection at LAX. And also apologized that our prereserved seats were long gone. They found space in the front cabin for the carry ons and we were in our seats by 6:05.

And the plane pulled out of the gate on time. Way to go AA!

Rock and Brews LAX Terminal 1

Waffles and Burrito at Rock and Brews

Back at Gate for next flight
Cardboard55 and cuthroat like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rj123456
Decided to be brave and ignore the prevailing wisdom. Got a confidence boost from an early arrival at LAX (and from having the force with me, more on that below*):

0720 touch down LAX
0730 at gate
0743 at Shuttle
0800 Terminal 1
0802 at Rock and Brews - not very crowded seated immediately - took more time to fumble for PP on phone than to get seated
0815 food showed up (!) - waffles and burrito - food was fine but served on paper plates with plastic forks and knives (the latter presumably because it's airside)
0840 done eating
0845 boarded shuttle

For a 6:12 AM departure out of SFO I had set an alarm for 3:50 AM (I live near *SJC*), or so I thought. The previous day I had selected "Wake Cancel" so that the alarm would not wake up my spouse while I was out of town. So no 3:50 alarm.

At 5:02 (!) my spouse wakes me up - that's close to her normal wake up time. *%$&$#% we scramble - my son and I were traveling for a ski trip - luckily we had most of our stuff almost (but not fully!) packed and ready to go. Pulled out of the driveway at 5:15. Arrived SFO at 5:46 (traffic was not light but moving and for once I was thankful for the 5AM start for the carpool lanes on highway 101, and I did not observe the posted speed limits .

We lugged the bags to the AA Priority Desk - fourth in line. When we get to the agent (5:52) was blown away by how late we were - I did not make any excuses but asked her to do whatever she could do. And kudos to the professionalism of the gate agent - I wish I had got her name - we love to complain about AA but this is why I love AA after 30 years of flying them! She calmly checked in the bags, printed out boarding passes for the 8:00 AM (!) departure out of SFO then told me to go to the gate for the 6:12 AM flight anyway. TSA Pre was not empty but not crazily busy - we had about a dozen people ahead of us.

We got to gate D10 at 6:00. The gate agent was pretty much done and there were still some names on the wait list flashing. She shook her head at our craziness, then reprinted new boarding passes (for the 6:12 am) and called in to see if there was any space for carry ons - which she wanted us to gate check those until we realized that we had a connnection at LAX. And also apologized that our prereserved seats were long gone. They found space in the front cabin for the carry ons and we were in our seats by 6:05.

Back at Gate for next flight
Wow - great to hear you made your flight!! And that AA was awesome. I'm a United flyer but have a few flights next month on AA.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:08 pm

Hello.
I have a few questions about using PriorityPass in LAX
1. We arrive in TBIT from FRA, Germany.Can we get to KAL upon arrival?We still will not have boarding passes for the next flight, we will depart only the next day from T4.
2. Departure from T4 to LAS.Which hall to choose: TBIT KAL,T6 ALASKA LOUNGE or Т6 POINT THE WAY CAFE?Probably, you need to go through TSA in T4 first, and then move over the air side to TBIT or T6 and then return?

Thanks you!
Old Dec 20, 2019, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Poros1976
Hello.
I have a few questions about using PriorityPass in LAX
1. We arrive in TBIT from FRA, Germany.Can we get to KAL upon arrival?We still will not have boarding passes for the next flight, we will depart only the next day from T4.
2. Departure from T4 to LAS.Which hall to choose: TBIT KAL,T6 ALASKA LOUNGE or Т6 POINT THE WAY CAFE?Probably, you need to go through TSA in T4 first, and then move over the air side to TBIT or T6 and then return?

Thanks you!
No access to KAL Lounge on arrival. You’ll be sent directly to customs and immigration and will then be landside. You won’t be allowed through the TSA checkpoint to go back airside without a same day boarding pass.

You don’t say what time your flight to LAS is but if it’s in the afternoon then I would go for KAL Lounge. PriorityPass is only accepted for entry between 11am and 5pm. Some people complain about it but I haven’t heard reports of people being denied entry like for the Alaska Lounge. I haven’t tried Point The Way Cafe. You can go through security at any terminal once you have your boarding pass.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
I'm flying LAX-SEA on Dec 26 on AA, 7:52PM departure, Terminal 5. (I'm flying F and I'm AA Plat Pro, but I assume that does me no good getting into AA or any lounge)

I have Amex Plat --> Priority Pass Select.

Am I right that (a) my only free lounge option is the Alaska Lounge in Terminal 6 and that (b) they are very likely to turn me away the day after XMAS?
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by huge
I'm flying LAX-SEA on Dec 26 on AA, 7:52PM departure, Terminal 5. (I'm flying F and I'm AA Plat Pro, but I assume that does me no good getting into AA or any lounge)

I have Amex Plat --> Priority Pass Select.

Am I right that (a) my only free lounge option is the Alaska Lounge in Terminal 6 and that (b) they are very likely to turn me away the day after XMAS?
See the wiki. The Korean lounge in the Tom Bradley International Terminal is also an option, and you can get there airside. Skip Alaska. They’ll probably turn you away, and it’s a lousy lounge, regardless.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by dhuey
See the wiki. The Korean lounge in the Tom Bradley International Terminal is also an option, and you can get there airside. Skip Alaska. They’ll probably turn you away, and it’s a lousy lounge, regardless.
Thanks for the reply, but as stated in a recent post, the Korean Lounge is only open until 17:00, not 7:00PM as stated in the Wiki, so I'm guessing my only option is Alaska and that that option will probably fail.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Thanks for the reply, but as stated in a recent post, the Korean Lounge is only open until 17:00, not 7:00PM as stated in the Wiki, so I'm guessing my only option is Alaska and that that option will probably fail.
Ah, sorry for the incorrect info. I just edited the wiki.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
I know you're (hopefully) in Seattle by now, but as your flight was scheduled for 7:52pm I would've stayed in the KE lounge until 7 and somewhat leisurely make my way to T4 to be at the gate for an adequate pre-departure time. If your flight left T5, then exiting the KE lounge at 7 would've been the smart move even if the lounge was available to PP holders until later.
huge likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by rj123456

0720 touch down LAX
0730 at gate
0743 at Shuttle
0800 Terminal 1
0840 done eating
0845 boarded shuttle

Awesome.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 2:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Flying AA today SFO-LAX-DEN and took the tunnel system over to the Alaska lounge (T4 to T6) during my 3 hour connection. Plenty of space when I arrived at noon (like 5 guests for 50 seats on the window side). Used my Priority Pass in order to save my 75K passes from Alaska. Had a chicken salad and broccoli and cheddar soup. Enjoyed two San Diego Mission Brewing Amber Ales. Wasn't even planning on coming through here today but AA offered me a proactive reroute with a later departure from SFO and I took advantage of it.

cuthroat likes this.

Last edited by tom911; Sep 22, 2020 at 2:18 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 22, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tom911
Flying AA today SFO-LAX-DEN and took the tunnel system over to the Alaska lounge (T4 to T6) during my 3 hour connection. Plenty of space when I arrived at noon (like 5 guests for 50 seats on the window side). Used my Priority Pass in order to save my 75K passes from Alaska. Had a chicken salad and broccoli and cheddar soup. Enjoyed two San Diego Mission Brewing Amber Ales. Wasn't even planning on coming through here today but AA offered me a proactive reroute with a later departure from SFO and I took advantage of it.
Wow, Alaska Lounge access via Priority Pass, congratulations, that's like a unicorn sighting!

Regards
Old Sep 27, 2020, 1:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by scubadu
Wow, Alaska Lounge access via Priority Pass, congratulations, that's like a unicorn sighting!

Regards
Perhaps I've been lucky with timing, but I'm 2/2 so far this month with being able to get into the LAX AS lounge with PP.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 10:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by scubadu
Might be the new normal now until flight departures pick up some more. I was there for 2 hours and there might have been a dozen guests there at most when it was the busiest. You could have had an entire section to yourself.

cuthroat likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Will be nice to get in there again. I was 1 for 4 with PP last year, although generally I was flying on United and would go to the MLL right next door.

Flying Alaska next month in coach, but will swing by using PP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.