Wiki Posts
Search

Air Berlin Files for Bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by finhub
Flight cancellations has started

https://www.airberlin.com/en/site/la...nformation.php

Airberlin has to cancel flights for operational reasons today. We regret the inconvenience for our passengers. Passengers holding tickets for cancelled flights will be offered other travel options. They are kindly asked not to come to the airport and to call the airberlin Service Center. All international phonenumbers are published here: https://www.airberlin.com/…/si…/airb...ice_center.php
That's because the aircrews and cabin crews are on strike.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Indeed, the impression is that of a wild strike. However, the official reason for the cancellations are an unexpected high number of sick crews.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:39 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
This is very unfortunate and I can't see the logic of this wild strike.

Yesterday Mr. Wöhrl has offered to buy the whole AB company for 500M EUR of which 450M are future payments if he can get the turnaround working. Interesting strategy and as he has done a similar plan sucessfully in the past I won't disregard his offer as nonsense. Pilots on strike are definitely not helpful in this phase.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
Yesterday Mr. Wöhrl has offered to buy the whole AB company for 500M EUR of which 450M are future payments if he can get the turnaround working. Interesting strategy and as he has done a similar plan sucessfully in the past I won't disregard his offer as nonsense.
He offers for an AB such as it existed on 31.12.16. But that AB doesn't exist anymore for sure. He can only buy an AB as it is now. Just that makes his offer nonsense, because he reserves himself the right to draw back his offer, if AB is not the same company now as it was on 31.12.16.

He offers EUR 50 million, which are not even enough to pay back the government loan. A scenario, where that loan won't be paid back is not very likely.

Wöhrl's offer based on the support of competitor bidders, including LH. But those won't support him for sure, because they have high chances to get the parts of AB they want without Wöhrl. And without support Wöhrl won't be able to cover the actual burn rate of EUR 3-4 millions per day.

And as you can see right now, it's just a myth, that only the management is responsible for the problems at AB. AB burned so much money the last years, more than EUR 2 billions. You need very poor performance on all departments to be that kind of unsuccessful. If you want to keep AB alive and getting profitable, you will need at least EUR 1.5 billion. It's much easier ad cheaper to build up a new airline than to make that center of incompetence profitable.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:45 am

Got notifications today that my txl-ord flights in late Sept / early Oct are officially cancelled.

The were award Redemptions via BA miles and BA won't at this stage do anything except refund.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:04 am

They won't get you to ORD on their own metal?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
Indeed, the impression is that of a wild strike. However, the official reason for the cancellations are an unexpected high number of sick crews.
If you read German, here's some background explanation:

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/unt...a-1167274.html
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by geosch
They won't get you to ORD on their own metal?
Not at the moment! (well they would, but €4300 would need to be swapped!)
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Not at the moment! (well they would, but €4300 would need to be swapped!)
HUACA?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It seems that Aercap is about to repo 10 A330. Which would explain the reduction of long haul flights.

Last edited by oliver2002; Sep 13, 2017 at 5:07 am Reason: spelling of AerCap
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Great. What about the short haul fleet, or does that belong to airberlin? Wondering if I should book a train ticket for next Monday's ZRH-DUS.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The A320 belong to various leasing companies too.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by Concerto
Great. What about the short haul fleet, or does that belong to airberlin? Wondering if I should book a train ticket for next Monday's ZRH-DUS.
I have LIN-DUS next month and I'm not making alternative arrangements......yet.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by seawolf
HUACA?
I presume that BA has set an internal policy as to how it will deal with these tickets. OP would be better off making one call and then asking for a Manager. A Manager may well explain what BA is doing in general and that will leave OP his options.

BA is simply the ticketing carrier. It surprises me that BA won't rebook onto BA/AA where there is award availability. I understand that the insolvency is creating a severe strain on availability, so that may be the problem.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:09 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
I presume that BA has set an internal policy as to how it will deal with these tickets. OP would be better off making one call and then asking for a Manager. A Manager may well explain what BA is doing in general and that will leave OP his options.

BA is simply the ticketing carrier. It surprises me that BA won't rebook onto BA/AA where there is award availability. I understand that the insolvency is creating a severe strain on availability, so that may be the problem.
FT mantra is even with a set policy, HUACA still applies.

OP's experience is a presumed BA policy at this point until we get more data points. BA issued the ticket. While not required, I would think rebooking on their own metal would be an option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.