Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Airberlin Downgraded from Business to Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airberlin Downgraded from Business to Economy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by ortho88
Just got an update from DOT and stated that AB in clear violation of the law and they're now seeking response from Air Berlin!
OP: are you sure DOT actually stated that? As mentioned by Often1, their stock response would be for them to see if it might be within their authority, and if yes, they will require the airline to respond. Only after the response, they would make the ruling.

As a side note, this would relate more to rules and regulations, not law.

May I suggest to present only justifiable facts to DOT and stick with it. It is the airline's responsibility to prove that it was a genuine mistake, but you can also take the initiative to prove otherwise by presenting to DOT all the facts that you have gathered.

Btw, a quick look into the historical fare (assuming that you're booked into J), it was available for full 3 weeks for public through end of the year. How can this be an "obvious" mistake then?! Air Berlin surely have dropped the ball on this. Good luck
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:39 pm

After waiting a week for XP.com to get back to me, I finally called them again. The first time around, they claimed they were going to fight AB. This time around, she came back and gave me AB's mistake fare nonsense. I just submitted my DOT complaint. Please keep this thread updated with any information you receive.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:57 am
Original Poster

.oip'[iop'io

Last edited by ortho88; Feb 5, 2016 at 7:44 am
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by QEternity
After waiting a week for XP.com to get back to me, I finally called them again. The first time around, they claimed they were going to fight AB. This time around, she came back and gave me AB's mistake fare nonsense. I just submitted my DOT complaint. Please keep this thread updated with any information you receive.
What made you think that the DOT would help? They seems to be rather soft these days in regards to mistake fare.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by TheFlyingDutch
What made you think that the DOT would help? They seems to be rather soft these days in regards to mistake fare.
And this fare bears little in common with typical mistake fares...
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:43 am

AB seems to really be playing hardball. Has anyone gotten anywhere with them?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by QEternity
AB seems to really be playing hardball. Has anyone gotten anywhere with them?
Nothing new really. They are not really "playing" anything, literally.

They have concluded that DOT interim policy on "mistaken fare" will kick in, so they simply told the few people who bought this fare to buzz off.

In case you have submitted your own complaint, you will notice that they tried their best to mention "mistaken fare", "evident", "realistic" and "unreasonable". They also informed the customers that they don't need to honor this fare as per DOT interim policy, even when DOT itself has not even decided nor said anything.

Again, DOT has yet to respond to AB's copy paste response, but then, very likely, DOT will come up with their stock explanation of what a mistaken fare is and telling customer that they are out of luck.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by ABObserver
Nothing new really. They are not really "playing" anything, literally.

They have concluded that DOT interim policy on "mistaken fare" will kick in, so they simply told the few people who bought this fare to buzz off.

In case you have submitted your own complaint, you will notice that they tried their best to mention "mistaken fare", "evident", "realistic" and "unreasonable". They also informed the customers that they don't need to honor this fare as per DOT interim policy, even when DOT itself has not even decided nor said anything.

Again, DOT has yet to respond to AB's copy paste response, but then, very likely, DOT will come up with their stock explanation of what a mistaken fare is and telling customer that they are out of luck.
You'll never know these days. Just saw that Alitalia is busy offering people to refund their MAD-HKT Biz flights (allegedly sold on a wrong fare). They added €600 1 year voucher as sweetener.

Meanwhile, you have AB offering... well nothing

Maybe wait and see?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
AB is betting most people will just throw in the towel. Mistake fare or not, DOT is not enforcing this in the interim. Maybe you will have better luck with EC261/2004 but that's not going to happen until you flew in economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.