Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Redemption of TB miles for BA flight. Why so expensive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redemption of TB miles for BA flight. Why so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Question Redemption of TB miles for BA flight. Why so expensive?

Hi,

I've found seats in J for a one-way flight GDN-TXL-LHR-YYZ and tried to book it. TopBonus agent found these seats but unfortunately, he informed me that one reward seat would cost 100k TopBonus miles (+taxes). According to agent, such high amount of miles required for redemption results from the fact that the flights (two out of three) are on British Airways.

Have you ever used your TB miles to book a reward flight on BA? Are such rewards really that expensive? Yesterday I booked two rewards in J for flight CUN-DUS-TXL-GDN (only AB) and each of them costed 45K, which is more than twice less than above.

Best regards, Bartek
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:36 pm
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
according to their website, they state that only one connection is allowed, thats why the agent probably needed to add another award. However, a J award Europa-North America on Oneworld-Partners (such as BA) should cost 60k and an Intra-Europe Award 10k / 20k, so 100k seems to be a bit too much. You might want to try for a WAW-LHR-YYZ award?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

this might be the reason. However, our flight CUN-DUS-TXL-GDN also includes more than one connection and even though, cost in miles was only 45K per person. I think, I'll call them again and try with other agent. Perhaps I'm lucky and will talk again to this nice lady, who booked our reward tickets yesterday :-)
I'll also try the route you've mentioned.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:16 pm
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
this is all on AB.
The one-connection rule is for partners. Unfortunately they only describe it on their German website. On the english version they are not so specific.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by tropikey
Have you ever used your TB miles to book a reward flight on BA? Are such rewards really that expensive? Yesterday I booked two rewards in J for flight CUN-DUS-TXL-GDN (only AB) and each of them costed 45K, which is more than twice less than above.

Best regards, Bartek
Mileage levels for AB-only flights tend to be less than partner flights. Also I think you received the 50% companion discount for AB awards on your 2 tickets from CUN (which also doesn't apply to partner flights).
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:41 am
Original Poster

The agent who booked our awards informed me explicitly that companion ticket was not available, so there was regular amount of miles for each of award.

According to redemption chart for topbonus partner airlines, I need 70k miles for one award in J from Europe to Central America. It's still much more than 45k, so I guess it's better to book 2 seats in Y and wait for possibility to do upgrade. Eventually, if such upgrade is not possible, we'll fly in XL seats for extra charge or for 10k miles each.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:53 am
gkl

wait a moment, dont mix it up: 45k is correct for a oneway business class trip from Europe to Central America on AB only, which is very competitive in my view.
30k for an Eco award, and the Upgrade from Eco to Business also costs 30k (but saves you the sometimes quite high taxes on J-awards which can sometimes already be the cost of an eco ticket).
Again, companion awards are not available for J-awards, however I think the 45k are already competitively priced.

70k miles you need for a oneway business class trip from Europe to Central America on partner airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.