Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

1 Year of Travel - Airline Lost Backpack, Need Help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1 Year of Travel - Airline Lost Backpack, Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:19 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Air Berlin Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
I find this very ridiculous because the overhead bins on these A321's are huge.

Not so ridiculous if it falls out of the bin onto your head. I wish all airlines would toughen up on carry-on bags.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Well it appears there is hope after all. I have been tracking for a couple days and the status has updated to: "DELIVERY PROCESS INITIATED"

I think that's a good sign!

Also, I did find this blog post stating that the card I paid the taxes/fees with does offer travel insurance on lost bags but I have not had time to look into it further. http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/...vel-insurance/

I still maintain that the weight limit is too strict. I like to carry on the kitchen sink with me because they can't be trusted to take care of my bags and contents inside. 8kg is way too strict!

Last edited by OrbitTheOrb; Aug 11, 2015 at 2:30 pm
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Agreed. 8kg is absurd. Glad to hear it's on its way back to you.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
As much as you think it's a ridiculous limit, be very prepared that other airlines 1) have the same or even smaller limits and 2) do weigh carry on bags.

A quick glance around shows the following airlines have the same (or lower) weight limits: LAN, TAM, Virgin America, Aer Lingus, Alitalia, Lufthansa, SAS, Swiss Air, Virgin Atlantic, Air India, El Al, Etihad, Jet Airways, Royal Jordanian, South African Airways, Air New Zealand, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Singapore.

And that's a quick google search where I found a list someone had put together. I would make sure to verify directly with each of your upcoming airlines what their weight limits are so that you don't get hit with this surprise again.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by justforfun
Agreed. 8kg is absurd. Glad to hear it's on its way back to you.
If a 15kg++ bag falls on your head, you might want to change your opinion.

8kg (or even less) is MUCH more common in travel industry rather than more or even unlimited.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer

8kg (or even less) is MUCH more common in travel industry rather than more or even unlimited.
If there's enough force from turbulence to launch a 15kg bag out of the overhead bin, the plane is probably going down anyways and I'll appreciate being knocked out in advance. lol
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Exactly.
There was a high-profile case in Germany some two decades ago involving a top-earning consultant getting hit on the head by an aluminum case piece of hand baggage falling out of the overhead bin when the bin opened during takeoff, causing irreversible brain damage and rendering him unable to work ever again. He was awarded record damages in a country that up to this point never had done so and the airline (OS) was made to pay for his care the rest of his life.
Limiting this liability is why those strict cabin baggage weight restrictions exist. As much as I don't like them and try to circumvent them myself to the point of avoiding airlines with strict enforcement, they are there for a reason.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by OrbitTheOrb
Well it appears there is hope after all. I have been tracking for a couple days and the status has updated to: "DELIVERY PROCESS INITIATED"

I think that's a good sign!

Also, I did find this blog post stating that the card I paid the taxes/fees with does offer travel insurance on lost bags but I have not had time to look into it further. http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/...vel-insurance/

I still maintain that the weight limit is too strict. I like to carry on the kitchen sink with me because they can't be trusted to take care of my bags and contents inside. 8kg is way too strict!

Emirates limit for hand luggage is 7kg

They are not a European airline

Unfortunately delayed bags is something that happens. Often with a little bit of patience the bags will catch you up a day or two later as would appear to be the case here.

I believe a bag is not officially "lost" for two weeks

The airline will often cover the cost of essentials, but in future it may be an idea to consider putting your valueables /essentials in one bag and everything else in the other bag so that if something does need to be checked you can do one and keep one carry on.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:47 am

A quick glance around shows the following airlines have the same (or lower) weight limits: LAN, TAM, Virgin America, Aer Lingus, Alitalia, Lufthansa, SAS, Swiss Air, Virgin Atlantic, Air India, El Al, Etihad, Jet Airways, Royal Jordanian, South African Airways, Air New Zealand, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Singapore.
Add Qatar (7 kg and they weigh hand luggage), Tiger Airways (7kg -10 kg based on origin) and Latam (8kg) to the list.
Meanwhile, have you contacted your credit card company and cancelled cards left in the lost luggage?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by OrbitTheOrb
Hello FT,

We are 6 weeks into a 1 year trip. Not going home anytime soon...so this kind of sucks. My wife and I carry small 35L backpacks. We carry this size so that we can board planes with them. Even Ryan Air lets us board.

Anyhow, we flew on Air Berlin, MAD -> TXL -> HEL. In Madrid, the ticketing agent made us weigh our bags and because they were over 8kg, we had to check them. I find this very ridiculous because the overhead bins on these A321's are huge. We have flown with them in recent past and this wasn't a requirement. We were the first boarding group for this flight...

I had her tag our bags for TXL since we were there overnight. They have lost my bag. It didn't show up at TXL. Still no record of it and it's been over 48 hours now and we are in Helsinki.

This really sucks because I have probably $2000 of valuables in my bag (cameras, etc.). Plus a giant stack of credit cards that I need.

We have contacted the lost and found in both Berlin and Helsinki already. They know to send my bag to Helsinki if they ever find it.

What are my chances of actually getting this bag back, at this point? It seems pretty slim. I am wondering if it was stolen or perhaps it just fell off of a bag cart and is sitting on the ground in Madrid?

Anybody know any tricks that I can use to get my bag? I paid the taxes and fees on the award flight using my AAdvantage Platinum. Are there any benefits on this card that will help me? Insurance/etc? We also have the amex platinum. It includes the travel concierge benefit. Can they do anything to help me?

Thanks!
Sorry, if you were naive enough to check valuables in, then you're likely in bad shape.

For years I often flew with only hand luggage. If I ran into a similar situation as yours, I had a medium sized nylon bag that I would pull all valuables out of a larger bag, and use as my carryon.

Perhaps it's only supposed to be a 6 week trip.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
It's still quite annoying how stingy European airlines are about carryon weight limits. Drives me crazy!
8kg is still more than the 7kg many LCC's in Asia give you. I flew on AK/QZ this week with exactly those restrictions. Luckily most hubs don't weigh hand luggage.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
I hope that everything arrives and that you are now aware to check carry on rules beforehand.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. It does no good to debate what a carrier's allowance ought to be. Either accept it or fly another carrier.

2. The problem lies with off-loading. People pop up, pop open the OH and out pops some item which has shifted and it drops on somebody.

Weight also costs fuel and that costs money. It doesn't matter whether its fuel, a passenger, their luggage or catering. It's all fungible. Less weight = less cost = lower fares & higher profit.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
It's still quite annoying how stingy European airlines are about carryon weight limits. Drives me crazy!
Honestly it drives me crazy to board a flight in the US seeing some people do carry their entire household with them and preventing me to get my standard 5 kg carryon in the bins. There are rules and rules need to be obeyed. I always believed this is the #1 concept in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.