FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 1 Year of Travel - Airline Lost Backpack, Need Help!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:53 am
Jaimito Cartero
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by OrbitTheOrb
Hello FT,

We are 6 weeks into a 1 year trip. Not going home anytime soon...so this kind of sucks. My wife and I carry small 35L backpacks. We carry this size so that we can board planes with them. Even Ryan Air lets us board.

Anyhow, we flew on Air Berlin, MAD -> TXL -> HEL. In Madrid, the ticketing agent made us weigh our bags and because they were over 8kg, we had to check them. I find this very ridiculous because the overhead bins on these A321's are huge. We have flown with them in recent past and this wasn't a requirement. We were the first boarding group for this flight...

I had her tag our bags for TXL since we were there overnight. They have lost my bag. It didn't show up at TXL. Still no record of it and it's been over 48 hours now and we are in Helsinki.

This really sucks because I have probably $2000 of valuables in my bag (cameras, etc.). Plus a giant stack of credit cards that I need.

We have contacted the lost and found in both Berlin and Helsinki already. They know to send my bag to Helsinki if they ever find it.

What are my chances of actually getting this bag back, at this point? It seems pretty slim. I am wondering if it was stolen or perhaps it just fell off of a bag cart and is sitting on the ground in Madrid?

Anybody know any tricks that I can use to get my bag? I paid the taxes and fees on the award flight using my AAdvantage Platinum. Are there any benefits on this card that will help me? Insurance/etc? We also have the amex platinum. It includes the travel concierge benefit. Can they do anything to help me?

Thanks!
Sorry, if you were naive enough to check valuables in, then you're likely in bad shape.

For years I often flew with only hand luggage. If I ran into a similar situation as yours, I had a medium sized nylon bag that I would pull all valuables out of a larger bag, and use as my carryon.

Perhaps it's only supposed to be a 6 week trip.