Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Get your status matched on oneworld with air berlin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: miamiflyer8
UPDATE DEC 12th 2016
New conditions for retaining matched status with AB:

If you are a member of another Frequent Flyer Program, you can match your status and receive the topbonus status card for 12 months for free.
Within 6 months, you are required to collect either 10.000 status miles or 10 flight segments, in order to maintain your Silver Card until the 12th month.
Within 6 months, you are required to collect either 20.000 status miles or 25 flight segments, in order to maintain your Gold Card until the 12th month.
Print Wikipost

Get your status matched on oneworld with air berlin

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: AB Gold, TK Elite
I got the match today. So it's two weeks. I sent them an email on the first of July.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by skiwindham
I was just denied a status match because it is limited to Germany, Switzerland, and Austria.
A new development?
Any workarounds?
Very strange, until recently atleast there has been no recidency requirment. One would assume they would want customers from countries they fly to but thats quite a change...
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
NO mention of any other clause except no matches to oneworld airlines on their official match page...

http://www.airberlin.com/site/landin...ode=TEE1&cat=2
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Maybe I'll have to try that, no one had mentioned that before and I haven't gotten a denial yet, but I'll wait and see.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by kauppias
NO mention of any other clause except no matches to oneworld airlines on their official match page...

http://www.airberlin.com/site/landin...ode=TEE1&cat=2
This is the link AB sent when denying the match. The clause is on the last line...

http://www.airberlin.com/en/site/lan...otionCode=TEE4
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by skiwindham
This is the link AB sent when denying the match. The clause is on the last line...

http://www.airberlin.com/en/site/lan...otionCode=TEE4
I see, intresting development...
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by mcmichi
I got the match today. So it's two weeks. I sent them an email on the first of July.
2 questions:
What is your resident country?
Did you receive any correspondence during those 2 weeks?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
deleted
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:22 pm

Bummer
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:49 am

Datapoint - match successful

DL GM --> TopBonus Gold

Joined TopBonus 7/6
Requested match immediately 7/6
Match granted 7/20

as reported above, 2 weeks on the dot. After applying, I added a Frankfurt address as a business address to be safe (legit address). The confirm email says card to be mailed in 10-14 days - hoping to US address - will confirm here when arrives.

Now... logistics of using this benefit in Admirals Clubs in the US on AA/US itineraries:

If I am flying AA, and want to credit to my AA account, can I still use lounges in US? Do I just give them my Air Berlin TopBonus number at entry? Do I need the physical card? Do I need to credit to TopBonus, enter lounge, then switch to AAdvantage before flight?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:43 am

I can confirm I finally got denied. With reason...

I'm not Austrian, German or Swiss (or did they mean membership not citizenship/resident?). In any case, I was bummed since it seemed others had gotten in, but it didn't really make sense to me being a Canadian resident to be able to get a match on them since I don't really have much in the way of opportunity to fly them. Oh well, no harm done, I'll just stick with being a nobody on the occasions when I fly AA
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I can confirm I finally got denied. With reason...

I'm not Austrian, German or Swiss (or did they mean membership not citizenship/resident?). In any case, I was bummed since it seemed others had gotten in, but it didn't really make sense to me being a Canadian resident to be able to get a match on them since I don't really have much in the way of opportunity to fly them. Oh well, no harm done, I'll just stick with being a nobody on the occasions when I fly AA
Yeah, it's odd. They status matched the bottom feeders with an A3*G, but not an SE.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:31 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
I emailed AB to get matched to my TK Gold and/or A3 Gold on July 8th. Got a reply via email on July 21st saying that this match offer is only for Swiss, German and Austrian residents...

Which I was aware of and I am a resident of Switzerland. I checked my account and it does have my Swiss address correctly entered... I even received my Classic card this week via post. But the person on the email said I was not Swiss.... ok my name is Asian but I'm a Swiss citizen... it would be too easy and ridiculous for their CS staff to assume even a slight tad that I'm not from CH, D or A just by looking at my name.

Anyway, I replied on July 21st and still waiting for them to write back....
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:31 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Got a reply today, August 13 regarding my request....

Dear Mr. Enelym1978,

thank you for your E-Mail and your Status Match request.

This offer is only available for German, Austrian and Swiss members. In this case please send us a confirmation / verification of your registration card where we can see, that you live in Switzerland.

Furthermore we need a Screenshot from your Miles & Smile Statement and one booking confirmation of one of the flights from your statement.

Thank you for your support.

Best regards,

Seems like they don't have access to my account/profile address?? That seems a bit odd... Fine with the screen print of my statement but what's this booking confirmation requirement? Am I the only one required to provide these?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by enelym1978
Seems like they don't have access to my account/profile address?? That seems a bit odd... Fine with the screen print of my statement but what's this booking confirmation requirement? Am I the only one required to provide these?
They are asking for that since many people have recently signed up with a fake DACH address, got status matched, then changed their address to a foreign one and then requested a replacement card.

Booking confirmation requirement: Hm, interesting, 1st time I read this about AB, AC asks for a future booking confirmation with AC to be entitled for a status match.

I'm waiting for more than 2 weeks now on a reply from them about my initial status match request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.