Wiki Posts
Search

AB Connection at TXL - 55 minutes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2013, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
AB Connection at TXL - 55 minutes

I saw a post regarding this topic from a couple years ago, but wanted to post it again because I am considering an award flight (DFW - FCO) and it connects at TXL on AB. Arrival time on arriving flight is 12:05 and departure time on the connecting flight, also AB, is 1:00. I'm a little hesitant to go ahead and book this just because of that short window. Do others have experience with connecting through at TXL within a short window? Just wondering if this is something I should avoid. I have only a couple options trying to route through Germany instead of London to save an enormous amt of money in taxes/fees. My alternative is a 7-hr layover in Vienna. I would rather arrive in Rome earlier in the day on the TXL connecting flight, though, but what if the first flight is late and we miss the second flight? We've never flown AB and have no idea what to expect.

Thanks in advance!
Karen
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: AA PLT
The risk with this itinerary is not the 55 minutes at TXL -- that is more than plenty of time; the risk is that your flight into TXL is delayed. I would feel more comfortable with 55 minutes at TXL than at most other airports. (In fact, I have a 50 minute connection next week at TXL -- doesn't worry me.) If you do misconnect, AB can route you through Vienna for a 7:40 arrival into Rome.

Bottom line is that I could feel comfortable with it, but it all comes down to a matter of personal preference.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Thank you for the information!
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:49 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Also the question is answered, it might be of interest of more people flying on AirBerlin. For this reason I am going to move this thread to the AirBerlin Forum

FLYGVA
Moderator Germany Forum
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Seven hours in Vienna would give you plenty of time to have a look around a very interesting city. The airport is just east of the city, and has train service to the center. Most of the interesting sights are centrally located.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: Marriot,AA,SAA, UA
Just did this connection. Problem is thatAB tends to always be delayed. Also we stampeded thru 1 door with 1 guy doing passports. Because of the luggage issue I had all carry on so was a difficult crush. There are two terminals about 200 yards apart so again the hope is that you land and depart same terminal. I will NEvER go thru Berlin again!
Old Sep 30, 2013, 3:38 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH LT-FTL (HON till 02/25), AB-G†
Originally Posted by kimwhits
Just did this connection. Problem is thatAB tends to always be delayed. Also we stampeded thru 1 door with 1 guy doing passports. Because of the luggage issue I had all carry on so was a difficult crush. There are two terminals about 200 yards apart so again the hope is that you land and depart same terminal. I will NEvER go thru Berlin again!
OK TXL never was meant for connecting. Hopefully the new airport will open at some day (only praying helps).

But the connections are very short in Berlin. The taxi can drop you off right in front of the gates.

55 Minutes are plenty of time. If you misconnect you will be rerouted. You will probably land in Terminal A. The flight to FCO usually leaves from Terminal C. It is a 3-5 Minutes walk - much shorter than on most other airports.

Be aware: If you have lounge access the Lounge is LANDSIDE in Terminal A Main Building. You have the choice of the AF or BA Lounge, there are nearly on the way. No Lounge inside the Terminal C (Exclusive Waiting area for AB Elites only and not a proper lounge).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.