Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Help re my rerouting due to Air Berlin delay.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Long story short, I booked a trip (2 tkts) to Naples Italy on Air Berlin, with a stop in Dusseldorf Germany. Less than 20hrs before my flight, I see the NY to Germany leg is delayed, and I will miss my connection. Air Berlin had no information, and told me to fly to Germany and they would try to get me to Italy. I refused, and booked a new tkt with United, paying an extra $1500 total. Air Berlin said they will issue me a refund, but is there any way to recoup the extra $1500 I had to pay at the last minute? Thanks
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
No. AB would have arranged for you to fly DUS-Italy (perhaps even on a different airline) if you missed your connection in DUS, but they won't pay for a new ticket NYC-Italy.

Last edited by JPG3392; Aug 20, 2013 at 8:10 am Reason: correction of typo
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by JPG3392
No. AB would have arranged for you to fly DUS-Italy (perhaps even on a different airline) if you missed your connection in DUS, but they won't pay for a new ticket NYC-Italy.
Echoed....You over-reacted/reacted too quickly. Air Berlin would have gotten you to Naples, perhaps on another airline, and likely with some delay, but not $1500 worth.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Flight Delay Help

you chose to jump the gun and buy new tickets, you didn't have to.... if you want some advice, next time ask before buying the tixs....
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AB is being charitable by offering to refund its ticket and could have imposed whatever penalties it imposes for cancellations on your fare basis.

The reason for handling service recovery at DUS is that it's entirely possible that the connecting flight is delayed as well and that you would never have needed to be rebooked.

You are out the $1,500. Will be interesting to see if AB actually issues a refund or a credit for use on another trip.

Last edited by Often1; Aug 20, 2013 at 3:28 pm
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:49 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
I'm actually surprised that Air Berlin refunded your entire ticket - that alone is enough to be thankful for.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 3:22 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
svengoli123, welcome to FlyerTalk. For more discussion, I'll move this to the proper airline forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Originally Posted by Scooter
I'm actually surprised that Air Berlin refunded your entire ticket - that alone is enough to be thankful for.
They haven't yet (and I doubt they will.....)
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by Often1
AB is being charitable by offering to refund its ticket and could have imposed whatever penalties it imposes for cancellations on your fare basis.
Keep in mind it was a delayed context. It wasn't simply a no-show/don't want to use it.

If the delay was for something reasonably under their control, then they might (depending upon the delay they forcast to get the pax to their destinaiton) be obliged to have offered a cancellation and refund.

Of course, if it was for something reasonable to cause delays (weather, etc) then they are indeed certainly being generous already in offering compensation.
---
I would not expect them to pay more, you didn't give them a chance to sort it out by the looks of things.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:06 am

Under EU rules (EU261/2004) passengers are entitled to a full refund if their flight is delayed more than a certain number of hours and they choose to cancel.... and this is regardless of the reason for the delay. I have, twice in the last two years, cancelled flights that were delayed due to weather and the refunds were more or less automatic.

So as long as the flight was delayed for long enough then the refund should hopefully be forthcoming without too much of a problem.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:57 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Please follow this in the Air Berlin forum.

l'etoile
sr. moderator
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Under EU rules (EU261/2004) passengers are entitled to a full refund if their flight is delayed more than a certain number of hours and they choose to cancel.... and this is regardless of the reason for the delay. I have, twice in the last two years, cancelled flights that were delayed due to weather and the refunds were more or less automatic.

So as long as the flight was delayed for long enough then the refund should hopefully be forthcoming without too much of a problem.
OP doesn't provide any information about whether the flight was actually delayed on arrival (which is all that matters), the length of the delay or whether the connection was itself delayed.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
OP doesn't provide any information about whether the flight was actually delayed on arrival (which is all that matters), the length of the delay or whether the connection was itself delayed.
The OP has given us enough information to figure out that the DUS-NAP flight connection could not be made - which is a problem, as this route operates only 4 times a week, with a waiting time of between 1 day and 3 days for the next AB service on this route, depending on the day of the week in question.

AB would most likely have either:

- rebooked the OP onto an AB service via TXL (which has two flights a day, morning and afternoon, so should be a valid option) or via MUC if the timing/days allowed (AB serves MUC-NAP twice a week only)
- rebooked the OP onto a Lufthansa service connecting via FRA or MUC, as Naples is served twice a day from FRA and either twice or three times a day from MUC.
- rebooked the OP onto an AB service to FCO (Rome) and arranged ground transport from there
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:12 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Or AB at JFK would have rerouted you on another trans atlantic carrier.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
Or AB at JFK would have rerouted you on another trans atlantic carrier.
The OP said that they wouldn't do this - they would sort it out in Germany. Which doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.