Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TT: Meal standards slipping

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 4:04 am

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
sure always nice to have a nice lunch overlooking the harbour (if you have the time)
Old Sep 22, 2009, 5:35 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Thanks,

My vote would be ditch the rest of the meal & increase the size of the ice cream on the late night flights.

In the current climate it might be better just to cut the meals & drop $5 of the fares. You don't really need a meal on a SYD-AKL flight that arrives at 11.35pm.
They still need their food on late night planes, especially for all the people who left work at SYD city just before 5 and rush to the airport to fly to AKL. They would really enjoy their meal on the 3 hour flight to AKL. Well I certainly enjoyed it in my first ever J flight SYD-AKL NZ106 in April this year. Excellent service and food ..... I was very hungry and tired as well so it makes the service even more excellent.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 6:32 am

Programs: QF Gold
I always look forward to the food on an international, no matter how meagre it is, it's just part of the experience to me. And an airline would simply absorb any $5 in food saving anyhow, so everyone would be worse off.

But yeah, if the flight's 3 hours, you've checked into the airport 2 hours before that's 5 hours, and then allow more time for getting there, that's a long time without food.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
That's where lounge access comes to the fore.

Departing MEL last month on a 6:30pm flight, the Business/Koru lounge had some substantial meal offerings.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
In the current climate it might be better just to cut the meals & drop $5 of the fares. You don't really need a meal on a SYD-AKL flight that arrives at 11.35pm.
Nooo - don't do that. When I've had a long day up at 3am NZ time for a full day of meetings and rush to get back to the airport in time for flight, there is no time to eat before the flight (unless it is delayed).
Old Sep 22, 2009, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Koru
edison: I'm talking about getting rid of the economy meals, they are hardly classed as dinner.

When you think of the average passenger arrives at the airport 2hrs before hand. They do have time to grab something to eat at the airport / lounge.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 1:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

I think you'd be surprised at just how many pax are like me. Already checked in (from the flight to Oz in the morning) and arrive at the airport close to boarding time.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 1:49 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I think you'd be surprised at just how many pax are like me.
Now there's a scary thought!
Old Sep 22, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Yep I have done the early morning flight to SYD and MEL only to return the same night.
MEL was the worst as the airport is further away traffic etc meant I arrived with 30 minutes to spare, already checked in with no luggage.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:22 am

edison: I'm talking about getting rid of the economy meals, they are hardly classed as dinner.

When you think of the average passenger arrives at the airport 2hrs before hand. They do have time to grab something to eat at the airport / lounge.
No way, the last thing AirNZ want to do is being classified as LCC. Also people like me who mostly fly Y would wait until getting onto the plane because they know that they are being served food. Otherwise people may as well fly Pacific Blue or Jetstar.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by edison
No way, the last thing AirNZ want to do is being classified as LCC. Also people like me who mostly fly Y would wait until getting onto the plane because they know that they are being served food. Otherwise people may as well fly Pacific Blue or Jetstar.
Don't forget EK, LA and - dare I mention it - QF (Jetconnect).

Suddenly, I don't think so lowly about the QF TT Y meals any more.

In saying this though, you still get Space+ or Y+ on NZ rather than QF which has stuff-all. But cutting down on meals? Not a good idea. Cut meals altogether? Mega-dumb idea.

I'm hoping that the cost cutting and resulting flying culture in the US for short-haul is not setting a precedent for down under.

Last edited by anat0l; Sep 24, 2009 at 12:19 am
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:19 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by anat0l
Don't forget EK, LA and - dare I mention it - QF (Jetconnect).
You left out AR & BI.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
You left out AR & BI.
Haha - would only fly AR if there tickets came with parachutes.

NZ still has a nice bunch of pluses
- Free Booze
- AVOD (Gate to Gate)
- Frequency
-Leg room
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:36 am

I heard that the catering too isn't all that great. People thought LA was very pedestrian if not non-passable. From what I hear AR is worse.

NZ still has a nice bunch of pluses
- Free Booze
- AVOD (Gate to Gate)
- Frequency
-Leg room
Booze is non-present on the dry BI and requires $$$ on JQ and DJ. But that still leaves QF, LA and EK.

QF has the minus on gate-to-gate IFE (although I thought that the A380 AVOD might be gate-to-gate, and if they install similar on the new 738s....) and leg room - not sure about frequency, I thought they were about the same.

And if you aren't a WP, then NZ also have the up on lounges (or if you average it out on both sides of the Tasman, they do have the up on lounges).
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:38 am

Well maybe you are adventurous, but someone like me are not that keen to do simultaneous skydiving with 200+ passengers ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.