Search

Check in at HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2008, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, HHonors Diamond,
Question Check in at HKG

Hello,

Will be having a long transit through HKG in October. Arrive in at around 4:30pm from Manila (on Cebu Pacific) and then take the NZ flight out of HKG to LHR next morning. Ideally, what we'd like to do is check in when we arrive and get our boarding passes for flight next morning from transfer desk. Will there be anyone at that time to issue boarding passes for flight next day at that time for NZ?

If not, option B is to leave airport, go into city, and then try to return to airport in early morning (after midnight). At what point can you begin checking in for LHR flight on NZ from Airport Express stations? And what time does airport check in open?

We'd like to be able to sleep in Plaza Premium Lounge, rather than fork out $ for hotel if possible, as we have free access through Diners Club...but need boarding passes for NZ to get through to there. Any advice appreciated on early check in options.

Cheers.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 2:52 am

Programs: NZ*GE
Only ever used check in at Airport Express on Hong Kong Island which opens, if I recall correctly, at 5:45am.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 4:00 am

There will certainly be NZ-contracted ground staff there manning the desks for the 6 pmish Auckland departure. AEL checkin opens 24 h before flight departure, I think.

Last edited by B-HXB; Jul 19, 2008 at 4:56 am
Old Jul 19, 2008, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Can DC holders also use the travelers lounge? The plaza premium lounge closes at 2400 according to their website..
Cheers
Howie
Old Jul 19, 2008, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Can DC holders also use the travelers lounge? The plaza premium lounge closes at 2400 according to their website..
Cheers
Howie
Yes, they can.
See list of lounges at http://www.dinersclub.com/en/DCIHome/airport.jhtml
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:36 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The issue though will be that the NZ flight is not open for local check in until a few hours before departure.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The issue though will be that the NZ flight is not open for local check in until a few hours before departure.
Yes - sorry, my mistake. Air NZ is not one of the airlines that offers T-24 checkin at AEL stations so the flight won't be opened at either in town check in or at the airport when you get in from Manila. I thought that 24 h checkin applied to all airlines operating checkin desks at AEL stations, but apparently not so.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, HHonors Diamond,
Thanks all for your input...so I guess the general consensus is that there is no way to do early check in for HKG-LHR. Seems like the transit desk won't process next days' flight, and Airport Express Check In for NZ is only for day of travel. Does NZ counter at airport open just 3hrs before departure time?

Perhaps we can make use of the new Arrivals Lounge that is part of the Plaza Premium Group in HKG instead, with our DC card.....
Old Jul 21, 2008, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA (ExPlat).DL,UA Hertz (Pres Circle); Avis (First), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Gold)
Plaza Premium Lounge

One of the Plaza Premium lounges (above Gate 60) has sleeping facilities. I don't know much about it (I only used the regular Plaza Premium Lounge) but you might see if Cebu Pacific will check your bags all the way through to AKL. If so, maybe you can just go there from the Cebu flight and check in at NZ's gate the next morning for Boarding Passes.

The "Travelers Lounge" is another pay lounge over Gate 60 - it is definitely open 24 hours. Again, I don't know what the charge is for admission, but it might be worth checking.

Under any circumstance, if you need a hotel, I'd stay out near the airport; it is a long ride into Hong Kong from Lantau Island where the airport is and you'd likely have to be up really early to catch a morning flight. There are a number of hotels near the airport that would be decent.

Jeff
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by jeffhacker
One of the Plaza Premium lounges (above Gate 60) has sleeping facilities. I don't know much about it (I only used the regular Plaza Premium Lounge) but you might see if Cebu Pacific will check your bags all the way through to AKL. If so, maybe you can just go there from the Cebu flight and check in at NZ's gate the next morning for Boarding Passes.

The "Travelers Lounge" is another pay lounge over Gate 60 - it is definitely open 24 hours. Again, I don't know what the charge is for admission, but it might be worth checking.
That won't work. You need a valid BP to get through security to airside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.