Community
Wiki Posts
Search

*A upgrades - Y to Y+/Y+ to C on TG??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2008, 1:23 am
Original Poster

*A upgrades - Y to Y+/Y+ to C on TG??

Whilst I realise the NZ/*A upgrades are $$$$ I may end up flying either LAX-BKK or NYC-BKK on TG in the not too distant future...

NZ's *A upgrade tables only cover Y-C....and C-F... anyone have any idea what a Y-Y+ or (more likely) Y+-C UG might be.. if available through Airpoints??

Anyone with any experience of "not listed" upgrades???

Suppose I should just call.. but it's Sunday night here... and FT is SUCH a good resource!!
Old Apr 6, 2008, 2:07 am

Programs: NZ Koru
NZ call center is open 24/7 as i offen when i do my seat request i ring up and do them in the middle of the nite.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 3:03 am
Original Poster

I honestly did not know that... and I'm a BIG fan of the NZ( and NZ based) call centre!

Learn something new every day! Ta!
Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:54 am

Programs: NZ Koru
It operates 24/7 because they closed down all of there other call center and made AKL call center the world wide one.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 7:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
NZ call center is open 24/7 as i offen when i do my seat request i ring up and do them in the middle of the nite.
less waiting at night (NZ time), but also IME less accurate information/experience
Old Apr 7, 2008, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Finally got round to picking up the phone yesterday.... went for daytime as I reckon KF probably has a good point there.. and I had some weird questions,...

Spoke to yet another charming/helpful Kiwi lady.... (I DO like that accent...)
...and had all matters dealt with pronptly.

*A upgrades through NZ are apparently only Y-C, C-F... explains why other options don't appear on the tables I guess. (Sensible girl too.. she suggested the *A upgrade awards were.. not good value...)

Crediting TO AP's for Y+ flights on other *A airlines seems problematical.. call centres opinion was that it would probably credit as Full Economy (which is how NZ's Y+ credits to my friends MP account if memory serves) Bummer.

This MAY vary.. as it is (??) the operating airline that decides the credit...(??)

This last point also explained why a recent AC flight in Biz credited as Discount Econ.. it was one flight in one of theose Asian C deals packages... seems that AC credits to NZ based on a multiplicity of fare based "earnings" - and to be honest I doubt you could pay less than the fare we found....... Bummer again...

Made some seat requests for upcoming flights (based on the Ultimate seating guide here - and thanks for that resource!) All noted down as requested..... so if the UG's don't clear I should still be as comfy as poss....

P.S. If any of what I recall seems to be incorrect/incomplete information.. please say so!!!

Last edited by trooper; Apr 7, 2008 at 7:46 pm Reason: Forgot sumtin....
Old Apr 8, 2008, 5:30 pm

Programs: QF WP, NZ G
Originally Posted by trooper
This last point also explained why a recent AC flight in Biz credited as Discount Econ..
Similar if you fly the cheap business SYD/MEL-LAX/SFO on UA (Z class if I remember). Earning as full economy on AirPoints. But UA have old business seats and sometimes grumpy FAs (in my limited experience). A lot less expensive than QF or NZ, but similar in price to TG, who I might try next time as the seat is much better but the flight much longer.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 6:06 pm

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Airpoints earning is based on booking classes as well. You should check your ticket and see what booking class that was and ask NZ what earning rate that class falls under. NZ does not publish eligible booking classes on partner airlines. Although in the terms and conditions it lists all the non earning classes, half of the information was wrong. They do, however, have the accurate classes on their internal network (korunet?). I always call them first before I book a discount ticket.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Gents! (Folks?)

I am still an "L plater" with this stuff... and it's nice to learn a lesson that was neither painful or nasty! (I wasn't relying on the "expected" Airbucks credit for status requal or anything...)

It was still well worth it if only for the comfort. Although having got the UG Y+-BP coming home - thus using both AC's and NZ's similar looking seats on the one trip - I'd have to say the NZ seat (not to mention food/service) seemed significantly better to me!! YMMV...

I'm on SQ soon with a similar "cheap C deal".. Be interesting to see what that credits... the itin printout from the SQ site just say "Business Class"...

Might do some digging to see if I can find out a bit more about that...

Thanks again!

Edit: On the Electonic Ticket receipt I was able to print off it just shows:

INCHEON SAN FRANCISCO SQ0016 C <date> 1750 1230 OK 2PC

So we'll see.......

Last edited by trooper; Apr 8, 2008 at 7:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.