Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

ANZ 5 LAX-AKL does it depart late frequently?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2007, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,

I was wondering about the on time departure of Air New Zealand flight 5 from LAX to AKL. That's the flight I am taking in just under two weeks. I was curious if the flight ever departed late, and if so, by how much? I went to flightaware.com and entered the information, Air New Zealand, flight 5, and took a look at it's history of departurers. It seems that this past week the flight has departed late quite frequently. I actually don't mind if the flight is late in departing, after all, I have two connections to make just to get to LAX and if any of them are late, this could mess me up in getting into LAX on time for the 9:30 NZ5 to AKL. So in a way, I am kind of glad to see that the flight does depart late just in case I myself am late to the aircrft. However, I am skeptical that the flight is actually late that frequently. If so, why? This past week the flight seems to have departed at 10:20 pm, 10:10 pm, 9:58 pm, 9:47 pm, 10:14 pm, 11:21 pm, 11:13 pm, 11:05 pm. It's supposed to depart at 9:30 pm. Although some of the departure times were not too bad, for example, departing at 9:58 and 9:47, but some of the departurers were really late departing at 11:21, 11:13, and 11:05. I think I must not be looking at or interpreting this flightaware website correctly becasue I am just skeptical that the flight would be more than 20 min late. Anyhow, on my departure date, I think I do hope it's late, but wanted to see what you thought about how accurate this information might be, and if so why? Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 3:25 pm

Location: This is a personal account and my views and opinions DON'T represent those of my employer.
There were a couple of hour-late departures in the past week, but nothing as late as 2321, 2313, or 2305. The times don't really match up at all, so I suspect flightaware.com may have some screwy data.

The two flights that were late were both 747s (some days of the week NZ5 is a 777) which may be due to unscheduled maintenance on one of our 744 or even the untimely death of one of our 747 training captains . In my experience NZ5 doesn't generally have major delays, as the aircraft is parked at LAX for betwen 6-12 hours and any required maintenance is performed at that time.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by nz_crew
There were a couple of hour-late departures in the past week, but nothing as late as 2321, 2313, or 2305. The times don't really match up at all, so I suspect flightaware.com may have some screwy data.

The two flights that were late were both 747s (some days of the week NZ5 is a 777) which may be due to unscheduled maintenance on one of our 744 or even the untimely death of one of our 747 training captains . In my experience NZ5 doesn't generally have major delays, as the aircraft is parked at LAX for betwen 6-12 hours and any required maintenance is performed at that time.
Thanks nz_crew for the info. I wasn't sure to turst fightaware or not. I assumed a lot of flighaware's info in general may be somewhat accurate, but just not this time for NZ5. Sorry to read about the sad news of your training Captain.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:39 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I was on NZ5 last week that departed a bit late. As far as I could tell there was a problem getting a gate early enough for an on time departure.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:21 pm

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints *E
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I was on NZ5 last week that departed a bit late. As far as I could tell there was a problem getting a gate early enough for an on time departure.
I've encountered this issue a couple of times on NZ5, and each time it has been the same cause as you stated - gate access logistics.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.