Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone credited AKL-HKG to Aeroplan?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Anyone credited AKL-HKG to Aeroplan?

Hi all

I'm FINALLY going to experience business premier long haul (as opposed to catching a 747 or 777 between SYD and AKL) - I've managed to use a Circle Asia biz class ticket for an upcoming work trip to Hong Kong and Beijing, as it saves them a bit of money, lets me have a long weekend in NZ on the way, and hopefully requalifies me for AC*G.

And there's the rub - although by my calculations (great circle mapper etc) my entire itin will just get me over the line for *G with 16 miles to spare, I know that in the past AC's mileage credited usually varies from the Great Circle Mapper mileage by sometimes 20 to 30 miles. So I thought I'd ask here - has anyone flown AKL-HKG or vice versa and credited the miles to Aeroplan? If so, how many did you get?

I'm really looking forward to trying the proper long haul service. I'll also be interested to see how TG compares on the way back - I hear very mixed things about their new seats, though...
Old Sep 28, 2007, 8:22 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Mad_Atta

I can't really answer your question but you will love BP.I have flown it several times since it was introduced and it's fantastic - the best seats in the sky.

Have flown TG a few times in C. To be honest:the service is nothing to write home about, the food is pretty ropey and the wine selection is just terrible -and lets face it, thats what counts. I forced to drink this disgusting German Resiling. I shudder to think what was served in Y - Cask wine.

Have a great trip.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Why thank you Ms Sydney

I've flown TG in C and F before, both times on the Tasman, and both were a pretty mixed bag - surprisingly inept service and fairly rank food. (The Dom in first was nice though - we polished off a bottle and a half ourselves SYD-AKL despite the early hour - ahhhh, happy memories ) Yet, strangely enough, TG's food in Y is usually fairly good. But yes, the wine - really not good. I may have to stick to spirits - I seem to remember they serve a pretty good cognac, which is really just wine on steroids

I was certainly impressed by the Biz Prem beds SYD-AKL-SYD, so I'm loving the thought of a genuinely comfortable sleep on a long haul. Thankfully the BKK-SYD flight on TG has their new 'lie flat' (ie wedgy) beds - I'm not a big fan of that kind of design, and apparently TG's are worse than most. The TG PEK-BKK flight has ye olde style cradle seats, so at least the new seats will feel pretty good after those

Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on. Now I just need to decide: upper deck or in the nose? Only rows 1 and 2 are available downstairs, plenty upstairs. Is the service upstairs noticeably more stretched due to having the PE peeps up there as well?
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:34 pm

AKL-HKG gives 5,687 Aeroplan miles in Y/premium Y.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 2:38 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Go for the downstairs forward cabin - it has a much more intimate feel, rather like flying First Class. I have only flown the UD in PE which was fine so cannot comment on the BP serve upstairs.

You should book the downstairs seats now before they vanish.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Reason077, good to know.

Mr Sydney, I think I may well do that. We got row 1 the other time I flew on the 747 in BP but I wasn't sure if it would be so good when not travelling with someone else. Might go for row 2 if it's still available...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.