Wiki Posts
Search

Q's: 772 Y-class Exit-Row Seats

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Q's: 772 Y-class Exit-Row Seats

Hi All,

Firstly, I know there is the Ultimate Seating Thread, but it is damn too long and difficult trying to sort through all those pages of info' and comments, so I thought I'd create a new thread since I have a fairly specific seating question.

I've booked myself on the SFO-AKL 772 flight. I've done this flight a number of times now, but I have never reserved an exit-row seat. I'm thinking of reserving an exit-row seat (namely 53A, B, J or K) due to the extra legroom and open-ness feeling it offers, but I have a question or two about these seats.

1. For those that have experienced exit-row seating on an airline that has PTVs, does the fact that the PTVs are not at eye-level like the normal seats become a problem, especially in terms of a sore neck since the screen is positioned lower?? The SFO-AKL flight is by no means short and I do tend to use the AVOD system a lot to pass the time, but I'm concerned about the position of the screen. Is this really an issue to worry about? Does the fact that there is ample legroom allow you to kind of 'sink' lower in your seat to make the screen's position more comfortable?

2. Another difference is the tray-table. I know with QF the tray-table slides out from your armrest, and I'm guessing it's the same for NZ. How noticeably does this reduce seat width? I've never had an issue with seat-width on NZ, but ofcourse I'd like to be comfy on a long flight, so I'd just like to know how much the arm-rest-tray-table impedes seat width?

Other than those two things, are there any other advantages OR disadvantages of having an exit-row seating. I know some people say it's colder because you're so exposed and near the door, but that wouldn't bother me much.
Also, I know airlines try to discourage reserving exit-row seats till the last minute because there might be passengers who need such seats, so will NZ even allow me to reserve an exit-row seat at this time (I will be doing this flight March '08)?

Thanks in advance for any help

- Shameel K.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Can anyone help with any info ?
Old Sep 29, 2007, 11:45 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air...ng_777-200.php

That explains most of it!

Yes the traytable is in the armrest, and I assume the PTV too, haven't sat on the 777 that far back to tell you for sure Having the PTV at that level (and I assume it is in the armrest) does give you a sore neck though, I have experienced that several times on the 744 on the exit row in the upper deck in Prem Economy. I did sink lower into my seat, but woke up with a very sore back!

Not sure that you can reserve exit rows unless you have status, Kiwi Flyer or others can confirm this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.